Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1903433 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3375 on: February 06, 2015, 04:55:44 pm »
That being said, I bit the bullet on 4K UHD two weeks ago to replace that 10 year old Plasma.  Downloaded 4K content is crystal clear, but streamed content is the same as 1080p to my old eyes.
My next TV will be 4K but I'm not going out and upgrading until one of my current ones bite it because of lack of content. (TiVo's 4K device being a year away supposedly also has me dragging my feet.)

Other than like Netflix's 4K programming, where are you getting programming from?
LVMH

« Reply #3376 on: February 06, 2015, 04:57:44 pm »
If you recall, the HD TiVo on DTV couldn't record the local MPEG4 stream, just the national MPEG2 streams, so it was a mess I didn't want to get into. 
I was a (proper) TiVo honk already at that point and would use antenna to watch broadcast network stuff, then record things thru the TiVo Series 1. Never had DirecTV so not super familiar with their old hardware.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3377 on: February 06, 2015, 05:58:59 pm »
My next TV will be 4K but I'm not going out and upgrading until one of my current ones bite it because of lack of content. (TiVo's 4K device being a year away supposedly also has me dragging my feet.)

Other than like Netflix's 4K programming, where are you getting programming from?

I can't wait until 4K UHD becomes a thing.

Mostly legal downloadable content via Bit-Torrent (documentaries and demo's).  It will be a while before OTA broadcasts are in 4K (or if ever considering 720p is still the standard despite 1080p being around for a decade).

Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and UltraFlix offer 4K content, but you should have at least a 25mpbs internet connection to see any difference between 1080p and 4k.

Sony and Samsung are flirting with downloadable movies onto Hard Drives/players that are played on the TV via the USB 3.0 port.  I've tried Samsung's version (M-Go) and it was pretty damn good.   Sony's "Video Unlimited" required a separate player that I wasn't going to shell out $700 for.  Samsung's 1TB hard drive came with my UHD TV. 

4K Blu-Rays will be out this summer, but I won't be going down that road.

DirecTV and Comcast offer On Demand rentals of 4K movies, but neither are my provider so I haven't tried them out. 
27>34

« Reply #3378 on: February 10, 2015, 03:23:13 pm »
Hey Smackie, do you have any anecdotal experience with MLB.tv?

I usually buy MLB Extra Innings but the drawback on my cable system is only 2 of the 14 channels are in HD so most games are not in HD. TiVo's recent MLB.tv app is making me considering trying out the cheaper .tv option this season especially since they promise home/road HD feeds.

If you've used it, is the picture quality pretty consistently HD if I have above-average internet speed coming in and the TiVo hardwired? Is the GUI fairly good on the TiVo app? Is it worth the extra $20 to get MLB.tv Premium with the at bat app or whatever its called? Any feedback appreciated.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3379 on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:23 pm »

I usually buy MLB Extra Innings but the drawback on my cable system is only 2 of the 14 channels are in HD so most games are not in HD. TiVo's recent MLB.tv app is making me considering trying out the cheaper .tv option this season especially since they promise home/road HD feeds.

If you've used it, is the picture quality pretty consistently HD if I have above-average internet speed coming in and the TiVo hardwired? Is the GUI fairly good on the TiVo app? Is it worth the extra $20 to get MLB.tv Premium with the at bat app or whatever its called? Any feedback appreciated.

I've used it exclusively for the past 3-4 years , orignally for precisely the reason you cite. The west coast HD games were constantly screwed by east coast and Midwest games not finishing on time. It was making a mess of my recordings as well.

I'm now with uverse and Extra Innings is not an option, so MLB.TV is my only option.  I buy the Premium version for streaming radio to my phone for my commute. There was talk about including that in the regular version at some point....

It has turned out to be much better for me. I watch it at the office,  listen in my car (don't get me started on the SiriusXM merger issues) and watch when I travel. I'll probably never go back at this point.

The picture quality is dependent on the speed of your internet connection, but generally, I get somewhere between 720p and 1080p with a wired connection to my TV. Wireless is closer to 720p, but an up-res TV can clear it up.

The UI is hardware dependent - I've used Samsung TV and Blu-Ray player, Chromecast streaming from the MLB app, Roku, and TiVo, but I haven't used TiVo in over 2 years.  Theyre all different and have different features.  What's important to me is the ability to hide scores when I see the list of games and to start from the beginning as I rarely watch live, catching up around the 7th inning.   FF and RW are not nearly as slick as any DVR out there, however.

So long as your favorite team is not your local market, I couldn't recommend MLB.TV over cable more.  If you have DirecTV, Dish or FiOS with a Slingbox or Vulkano, then I can make an argument for Extra Innings.

As I mentioned, with Uverse its not a decision as MLB.TV is the only option, but I'm very satisfied with its flexibility, especially with the radio feed option for my commute.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:52:33 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #3380 on: February 10, 2015, 03:57:07 pm »
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll definitely give the MLB.tv Premium a try this season as it is $50 less and you aren't reporting any significant picture quality issues.  :)
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3381 on: February 10, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »
I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculous it is that it's 2015 and cable still has the 14 channel, only 2 HD options,  and no choice of feeds.

I can assure you the PQ will be better than that 480p SD bullshit from cable.
27>34

« Reply #3382 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »
I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculous it is that it's 2015 and cable still has the 14 channel, only 2 HD options,  and no choice of feeds.

I can assure you the PQ will be better than that 480p SD bullshit from cable.
Yeah, I concur. I'd love the NHL's online only option to get some TiVo/Blu-ray integration at some point too so I can start considering it.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3383 on: February 10, 2015, 05:49:40 pm »
Yeah, I concur. I'd love the NHL's online only option to get some TiVo/Blu-ray integration at some point too so I can start considering it.

It is a strange one - I wonder why Apple TV and Roku have support, but Chromecast and Amazon do not.  Sony clearly paid money to leave Samsung out, but the others are not exclusive deals.

Anyhow, shoot me a PM and we'll work out something for my Roku LT (old version) that I haven't plugged in in months.  It supports NHL Gamecenter.

I also have an unopened Amazon Fire Stick that I'll sell for $20 if anyone is interested.     
27>34

« Reply #3384 on: February 10, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »
Anyhow, shoot me a PM and we'll work out something for my Roku LT (old version) that I haven't plugged in in months.  It supports NHL Gamecenter.
I've already got Center Ice for this year paid for. I'm going to hold out for some sort of integrated TiVo support before October, and if not - and if the MLB.tv proves to be utterly superior - I will probably look for some cheap device to run GameCenter on.
LVMH

vansmack

27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #3386 on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:56 pm »

I've used it exclusively for the past 3-4 years , orignally for precisely the reason you cite. The west coast HD games were constantly screwed by east coast and Midwest games not finishing on time. It was making a mess of my recordings as well.

I'm now with uverse and Extra Innings is not an option, so MLB.TV is my only option.  I buy the Premium version for streaming radio to my phone for my commute. There was talk about including that in the regular version at some point....

It has turned out to be much better for me. I watch it at the office,  listen in my car (don't get me started on the SiriusXM merger issues) and watch when I travel. I'll probably never go back at this point.

The picture quality is dependent on the speed of your internet connection, but generally, I get somewhere between 720p and 1080p with a wired connection to my TV. Wireless is closer to 720p, but an up-res TV can clear it up.

The UI is hardware dependent - I've used Samsung TV and Blu-Ray player, Chromecast streaming from the MLB app, Roku, and TiVo, but I haven't used TiVo in over 2 years.  Theyre all different and have different features.  What's important to me is the ability to hide scores when I see the list of games and to start from the beginning as I rarely watch live, catching up around the 7th inning.   FF and RW are not nearly as slick as any DVR out there, however.

So long as your favorite team is not your local market, I couldn't recommend MLB.TV over cable more.  If you have DirecTV, Dish or FiOS with a Slingbox or Vulkano, then I can make an argument for Extra Innings.

As I mentioned, with Uverse its not a decision as MLB.TV is the only option, but I'm very satisfied with its flexibility, especially with the radio feed option for my commute.

i'm really excited for mlb.tv now that i've got a chromecast and decent TV.  last year i was watching games on my laptop and developing future neck and back issues.  not sure if my OTA antenna will pick up mariners games, but not sure i really care except for when they play BOS and WAS.

vansmack

« Reply #3387 on: February 17, 2015, 05:22:49 pm »
Night 3 of Smackie's Stag Party
Sun 05/03/2015
London @ O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire

With Special guests: Social Distortion, Jonny Two Bags, Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas

I don't think I realized they were playing their self-titled debut in it's entirety in honor of it's 25th Anniversary and my Stag Party.  But they are.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3388 on: February 18, 2015, 07:35:31 pm »
I can't wait until 4K UHD becomes a thing.

This is a pretty good take on why I went 4K with my new TV:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8061391/vizio-p-series-review-4k-tv

On the specs, my experience is the same.  I went out with the intention of buying the Vizio P50 but the two I brought home were DOA.  Now this could have been Best Buy's fault, but after two DOA's, I spent a little more on the Samsung model and am quite pleased.

27>34

vansmack

27>34