Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1890399 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4110 on: July 18, 2016, 07:03:35 pm »
At 11:15 a.m. PT, Netflix's stock was trading at about $169 a share, down $39 or 18 percent.

$112.58

Good time to buy?

hope you bought, 'cause looks like this ship just might be turning around:

Netflix abandons plan for Qwikster DVD service
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/technology/netflix_qwikster/

"Basically, these guys are desperate, and this confirms it," said Tony Wible, analyst at Janney Capital Markets. "While this move doesn't solve the company's long-term issues, in the interim, at least it can try to accelerate some positive catalysts for customers and its stock price."

Shares of Netflix (NFLX) rose 7% following the news.

Rinse.  Repeat.

Netflix stock price tanks as customers quit over higher prices
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4111 on: July 19, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »
Absolutely consuming me at the moment:

NY Suit against VW/Audi

Page 19, section D of the complaint has all the fun staff (page 21 of the PDF).
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4112 on: July 19, 2016, 04:29:17 pm »
(page 21 of the PDF).

is it page 23? ("23 of 90" at bottom of page, and 23 per my PDF reader...)

"Volkswagen?s Defeat Device Development and Implementation Was Not an Isolated
Event but an Iterative Process Across Different Emissions Control Systems and
Different Lines of Vehicles Over Ten Years "

wow, if that's true, 'scuse me while i go short more VW stock...
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4113 on: July 19, 2016, 04:40:34 pm »

is it page 23? ("23 of 90" at bottom of page, and 23 per my PDF reader...)

"Volkswagen?s Defeat Device Development and Implementation Was Not an Isolated
Event but an Iterative Process Across Different Emissions Control Systems and
Different Lines of Vehicles Over Ten Years "

wow, if that's true, 'scuse me while i go short more VW stock...

Sorry, yes, Page 23 of the PDF and the next 10 pages.  Just brutal stuff about how, after they got away with it in one iteration of an engine, just to avoid paying a license fee to Mercedes-Benz and because their own internal solution failed, they repeated it 5 more times in the next 5 versions of diesel engines.  All in an effort to outsell Toyota because they were so much further ahead in Hybrid technology.

Audi - Green Police Commercial  Even features my car down to the package. 
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4114 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »
At 11:15 a.m. PT, Netflix's stock was trading at about $169 a share, down $39 or 18 percent.

$112.58

Good time to buy?

hope you bought, 'cause looks like this ship just might be turning around:

Netflix abandons plan for Qwikster DVD service
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/technology/netflix_qwikster/

"Basically, these guys are desperate, and this confirms it," said Tony Wible, analyst at Janney Capital Markets. "While this move doesn't solve the company's long-term issues, in the interim, at least it can try to accelerate some positive catalysts for customers and its stock price."

Shares of Netflix (NFLX) rose 7% following the news.

Rinse.  Repeat.

Netflix stock price tanks as customers quit over higher prices
Most of these analysts seem to think the churn after ungrandfathering is a temporary blip.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4115 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:40 pm »
There are very few times when I say "I love Facebook" but old people on Facebook is one of them (I have altered the names):

------
‎George Walker‎ to DJ Roben
42 mins ·

DJ it's been a while I was just wondering if you were engaged yet, if not, what the hell are you waiting for, ANNA is so wonderful and perfect, time to pull the trigger buddy
----

George is the father of DJ's college roommate (DJ is 40 years old now).  I think/hope he thought he was sending a PM or that things on the wall would not be seen by all.   We're 45 minutes in, 35 comments have been made busting DJs chops and no word from DJ, who may not have seen it yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:41:14 pm by vansmack »
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #4116 on: July 21, 2016, 08:09:56 am »
There are very few times when I say "I love Facebook" but old people on Facebook is one of them (I have altered the names):

------
‎George Walker‎ to DJ Roben
42 mins ·

DJ it's been a while I was just wondering if you were engaged yet, if not, what the hell are you waiting for, ANNA is so wonderful and perfect, time to pull the trigger buddy
----

George is the father of DJ's college roommate (DJ is 40 years old now).  I think/hope he thought he was sending a PM or that things on the wall would not be seen by all.   We're 45 minutes in, 35 comments have been made busting DJs chops and no word from DJ, who may not have seen it yet.

My father in law thinks that everything on his wall is a personal message to him.  On the one hand he feels very important and popular with all these personal messages he's getting, but he can't figure out why all these people feel the need to message him about what they had for lunch.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4117 on: July 21, 2016, 08:35:50 am »
My father thinks every facebook post should be responded to with the word "Yeap!" (a word I have never heard him say once in my life) and as a result I set up a friends group without him and set it to my default so he never sees any of my posts. I feel simultaneously horrible and savage af all at once.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4118 on: July 21, 2016, 09:56:43 am »
since we're sharing: my dad thinks that FB is a place of pure evil.  he probably saw some sensationalist report about a kid who was lured by a predator using facebook, so he now thinks FB is full of pedophiles and worse.  my sister occasionally shows him the good side (pix of his grandkids, jokes, family updates, etc) but he won't budge.  being anti-facebook is a weird point of pride for him.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #4119 on: July 21, 2016, 09:58:07 am »
Facebook es una mierda.

Space Freely

« Reply #4120 on: July 21, 2016, 10:11:34 am »
Is this the default technology thread?

My wife is telling me I need to step up and get the Verizon Triple Play Fios for $69 monthly for two years. I guess it includes landline+internet+cable.

Our current Verizon landline+internet monthly bill is $134.

Are there any hidden hitches/costs to the triple play offer? We don't need cable (but definitely want to keep the other two), but if it's included and our bill would still be around half of our current bill, are there any reasons not to switch?

Muchos gracias for your reply.

hutch

« Reply #4121 on: July 21, 2016, 10:26:32 am »
Is this the default technology thread?

My wife is telling me I need to step up and get the Verizon Triple Play Fios for $69 monthly for two years. I guess it includes landline+internet+cable.

Our current Verizon landline+internet monthly bill is $134.

Are there any hidden hitches/costs to the triple play offer? We don't need cable (but definitely want to keep the other two), but if it's included and our bill would still be around half of our current bill, are there any reasons not to switch?

Muchos gracias for your reply.

esto es importante.. ayudenlo a James Ford a ahorrar dinero! gracias.

hutch

« Reply #4122 on: July 21, 2016, 10:27:46 am »
pero hablando en serio.. si sos un cliente actual de Verizon no se si te daran el descuento por el Triple Play.. creo que la oferta es para NUEVOS clientes...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4123 on: July 21, 2016, 10:27:52 am »
You'll need set top boxes ($10) or DVR boxes ($20).  Taxes and fees will add $25 or so.  If you want extra channels beyond baseline, there's a charge for that.  If you choose a sporting package, there's a franchise fee in addition to that.  The package includes Starz/Epix for free for the first year, that autorenews in month 13 for $10 or $15 per month.  The price includes a $10 (or $25) discount that expires after a year.

When the whole thing auto-renews at 2 years, you'll be paying $200 easily.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:29:25 am by mustardondabeets »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4124 on: July 21, 2016, 10:28:20 am »
pero hablando en serio.. si sos un cliente actual de Verizon no se si te daran el descuento por el Triple Play.. creo que la oferta es para NUEVOS clientes...

Good point, but there are ways around that.