Author Topic: b-day party ideas  (Read 2577 times)

joz

b-day party ideas
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
my husband's 30th birthday is in july and lots of friends are coming from out of town for the occasion. i want to have a big bash for him but can't seem to think of a good place in dc to have it.  i thought of renting the back room at Marrakesh or trying to rent a small venue like the Velvet or Galaxy Hut. i know the spy museum will do private parties in the evening but it's pretty pricey. does anyone have any creative ideas for party spaces in the dc area?

eltee

Re: b-day party ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 11:40:00 am »
Those are good ideas (VL/Galaxy Hut). Do they rent out the place? Are you renting for a private party for the evening or trying to hit a show w/ a reserved area? DC9 or JJava could work as well. Non-music spaces - try an embassy or meeting place.

jkeisenh

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
a friend of mine rented out the upstairs at wonderland on a weeknight.  the folks there were very friendly about it, and the potato salad is taaaaaaa-stee!

joz

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
what's wonderland?

jkeisenh

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
  what's wonderland?
why, wonderland is the new St Ex.  (Actually, I heard someone last summer say "Galaxy Hut is the new St Ex."  I just about lost it.)

It's at 11th and Kenyon.  It's quite friendly and cosy and is smoke free on the second floor.  What kills me, though, is that it really is just like the corner taverns in milwaukee-- both in beer selection, menu, and wanescotting.

joz

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
it's funny i've never noticed it...a friend of mine lives at 9th and Kenyon. just went to the website and this sounds like a really good option, espcially since they have delirium tremens on draft!

Bags

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
Wonderland Bar and Grill
 1111 Kenyon St. NW, Washington,  DC   20009
 Phone: 202-232-5263
 Metro: Columbia Heights (Green Line)

Your Local Wonderland
 By Fritz Hahn
 Washington Post Weekend Section
 Friday, October 22, 2004

Most of the blessed hole-in-the-wall joints we call "neighborhood bars" are actually on busy commercial strips, not in residential neighborhoods. The term is used to evoke nostalgia, a longing for a low-key bar full of regulars where Friday night doesn't find the place full of "randoms" who drove in from another state looking for a good time.

There are still a few true neighborhood bars out there, though. The latest treasure is Wonderland Bar and Grill, an old-fashioned corner bar in the middle of Columbia Heights, sitting alongside single-family homes and numerous group houses populated by young professionals.

From the outside, the building looks as though it has been there for decades, and the well-worn patina is authentic. For almost five decades, this was Nob Hill, a gay bar that catered to middle-age, middle-class African American men. But business slowed down, and, earlier this year, Matthew McGovern, a former Madam's Organ bartender, and his wife, Rose Donna, purchased the bar.

Open since August, Wonderland has the edgy, alternative feel of the old Black Cat's Red Room -- back before 14th and U offered a strip full of pricey, cutting-edge home furnishing stores.

Most nights, the place is packed with young people in jeans and T-shirts. They sit at tables inlaid with the logo of "Popeye's Famous Fried Chicken" or booths constructed of bench seats scavenged from old minivans.

The eclectic decor also features a vintage tabletop Ms. Pac-Man game and huge signs promoting the shuttered DCCD record store and something called "Kung Food." (McGovern found the latter "on the street" in Detroit.) "It's my husband's sense of style -- the urban salvage look," Donna says. "We've just moved it from our house to here."

Wonderland's drink of choice is Yuengling; the Pennsylvania brewery's lager, porter and Lord Chesterfield Ale cost $2 before 8, and $3 after that. Hungry? There's a small menu of sausages (bratwurst is "part of my Midwestern Detroit heritage," Donna explains), sandwiches and salads, which may be extended now that Wonderland has a full-time chef.

"We try to keep things simple," McGovern says. "And who doesn't like cheap beer?"

Upstairs, the "ballroom" has a simple layout, with a low stage at one end and a small bar at the other. In between are tables and some thrift-store couches and armchairs that invite you to sink into them.

Old record album sleeves hang on the walls with binder clips: Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison, the "Superfly" soundtrack, Sam Cooke, Julie London.

On weekends, the second floor is smoke-free. "The place gets so packed, so it's nice to have an area where you can dance without having to worry about smoke," McGovern says. (Smokers can step outside to the "Bohemian Beer Garden," which is little more than a mostly grassless patch of lawn.) Wonderland offers an eclectic mix of performers, from DJs spinning soul and hip-hop to acoustic singer-songwriters. Sometimes Wednesday is an open-mike event, but it could just as well be reggae night.

"We've even had a bluegrass band in here," Donna says. "Mostly it's been local neighborhood bands who come in and say, 'Hey, can we play here?' " But there's always great music in the main bar, thanks to my new favorite jukebox in the city. It holds 100 CDs, and one page alone includes the "Best of Sugar Hill Records" (featuring hip-hop pioneers Grandmaster Flash and the Sugar Hill Gang), the Buena Vista Social Club, the Smiths and the Velvet Underground. Scroll through, and there's OutKast and Dr. Dre; Jimi Hendrix and the Clash; Prince and the White Stripes; Johnny Cash and Motown hits. Unlike those digital jukeboxes with tens of thousands of tunes, this one has real personality.

"We fought 10 days tooth and nail about what goes in the jukebox," McGovern says. "It was my wife and me and a couple of friends. We all had really strong ideas. I had to fight really hard to keep the Beatles out. . . . I'm a Rolling Stones fan."

"We both like dance music," Donna counters. "He thinks Blondie is great dance music. I think Soundgarden is great dance music, or Wilson Pickett, or whatever. But we've left a few slots empty . . . and we'll take suggestions from the neighbors."

Wonderland has quickly become a neighborhood favorite -- some group houses are touting their proximity to the bar when advertising open rooms on the Web site Craigslist -- and I have a feeling it's not going to be overrun by "outsiders" anytime soon.

For a start, there's nothing else nearby, so a trip to Wonderland might be the beginning and end of the night. The three-block walk from the Columbia Heights Metro station is not pedestrian-friendly -- it's poorly lit and frequently deserted. (A quick survey of female friends and co-workers revealed that most wouldn't feel comfortable making the trip by themselves.) Parking is pretty easy to find, but cabs are few and very far between. All of this is fine by McGovern. "It's a neighborhood corner bar," he says. "It's first and foremost for the neighborhood."

neighborhood bar (Washington Post reader review

Posted by au_phi_mu on Oct 13, 2004
 located in an old house on the corner of 11th and kenyon, wonderland is a great neighborhood bar. columbia heights needed a place like this. most of the people you talk you will say they're from a few blocks away. the menu is limited, but very good (try the veggie burgers) and pretty inexpensive. downstairs is a bar and jukebox, with an interesting selection of music. The upstairs bar is non-smoking and generally gets live music or dj's on the weekends to fill up the dance floor. a great place to hang out for a post-work drink. everyone's friendly, patrons and staff. a little on the dive side, but that's what makes it comfortable.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:38:00 am »
I agree about wonderland...it also reminds me of bars in chicago (how every street has some sort of bar on the corner). I wish DC had more places like that.

For the party try getting the downstairs at the Big Hunt. It's a good room and you can DJ from an ipod. We had my 30th there back in January.

BLACKSTORM

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  I agree about wonderland...it also reminds me of bars in chicago (how every street has some sort of bar on the corner). I wish DC had more places like that.

For the party try getting the downstairs at the Big Hunt. It's a good room and you can DJ from an ipod. We had my 30th there back in January.
Big Hunt is always a good idea.

joz

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
i didn't realize that big hunt had a downstairs...do you mean the side room that has the other jukebox?  there's also the upstairs area with the pool table, right?  it's been a while since i've been there but we used to go a lot when we first moved to dc.

the option to dj with an iPod is ideal...i would hate to swing for a dj considering the copious amount of digital music we have.  i'd rather spend the money on booze. i wonder how much the spaces rent for...the big hunt is a better location but the wonderland sounds like our kind of place.  we're suckers for divey, blue-collarish neiborhood bars. before these better suggestions came along, i had even considered renting out hank dietle's on rockville pike.

K8teebug

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
You can have it where there's beer, I suppose.  But, I think where ever it is, it should end with a late night run to Ben's Chili Bowl.

Let me know if you need help planning.  I'm good at planning those big shin digs.....

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 11:11:00 am »
  i didn't realize that big hunt had a downstairs...do you mean the side room that has the other jukebox?  
I'm not sure if it's what they're talking about, but there is an actual downstairs at the Big Hunt.  I seem to remember the entrance being near the bathroom at the back of the side room.  It's a nice place to escape to when it gets really crowded.

joz

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  You can have it where there's beer, I suppose.  But, I think where ever it is, it should end with a late night run to Ben's Chili Bowl.

Let me know if you need help planning.  I'm good at planning those big shin digs.....
i think we'll need to do some location scouting, which of course will include a sampling of the libation selection at each.

jkeisenh

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
  it's funny i've never noticed it...a friend of mine lives at 9th and Kenyon. just went to the website and this sounds like a really good option, espcially since they have delirium tremens on draft!
Umm... I was there last night and it's no longer on draft-- bottle only.  But their draft selection still rawks.

K8teebug

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:  i think we'll need to do some location scouting, which of course will include a sampling of the libation selection at each.  
Sounds good to me!