Author Topic: The Futureheads roll call  (Read 4920 times)

Bags

Re: The Futureheads roll call
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 11:07:00 pm »
Well, Medusa, I'm missing the show as well.  Have too much of my headache left, and have to be at work WAY early tomorrow.  Ah well, it's just one show.  And it's not like it's Snow Patrol or Wonderstuff or anything....    :p

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 11:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Medusa:
  Am I the only person that did *not* like The Futureheads album?

It was a mistake to buy their CD last year. :/

Cheers

DJ Medusa.
i tried to like it, but gave up on it

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 01:18:00 am »
pretty good show ... got there in time for the small shouts, who were really really good ... swedish band that sounded almost like a mixture of the arcade fire and the cure, it was their first show in the states, and i was really impressed ... picked up their EP (released today) for $2 (does that even cover the cost of production/distribution??) ... they had one song (the one with the fast clapping at the beginning) that sounded exactly like the yeah yeah yeah's "y control" and the walkmen's "the rat", which is definitely a good thing

the futureheads were good, but i wasn't blown away or anything ... they were much more straightforward punk/pop than i expected after a couple of listens to their album ... "meantime" was definitely the highlight of their show, and they played it real early in the set

crowd seemed really into it and the futureheads were really chipper, which got on my nerves a bit ... all in all, i thought the small shouts stole the night, great set, great band, definitely one to watch out for ...
(o|o)

Bartelby

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 03:21:00 am »
are you crazzzzy. I was there ALL night.  That was the most kickin' show I've ever seen; it was Devo meets cashmere sweaters. All the upstairs fans were exhausted.  Maybe you used your press pass and stayed in the VIP section too long.  No slow stuff; no emo; no anthems/hooks...was your hangover blocking your ears and your brain synapses?  You worry me sometimes; you being a music critic and all...  I LOVED the Futureheads and so did everyone else, you freak.  It was THE MOST energetic show at the 930 in the past three years (except for the Jam...).

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Sheik Urass:
  It was THE MOST energetic show at the 930 in the past three years (except for the Jam...).
The Jam played the 930 in the past 3 years?

ravedubin

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
I am a DJ-I am what I play
 Set-list
 Brian Jonestown Massacre-Servo
 The Records-Starry Eyes
 The Fever-Gray Ghost
 Madness-Embarassment
 Buzzcocks-Autonomy
 Kasabian-Reason Is Treason
 New Order-Krafty
 Pink Grease-Remember Forever
 22-20's-22 Days
 Annie Christian-Love This Life
 Franz Ferdinand-Matinee
 The Jam-Start!
 Kaiser Chiefs-Everyday I Love You Less And Less
 Zutons-Havana Gang Brawl
 Le Tigre-TKO
 Weezer-Devotion
     The High Speed Scene
 Razorlight-Stumble And Fall
 Cardia-Life After Love
 Possum Dixon-Nerves
 Bloc Party-Helicopter
 Dead 60's-Riot Radio
 Robbers On High Street-Japanese Girls
 Idlewild-Love Steals Us...
     The Shout Out Louds
 Queen-The Loser In The End
 Hefner-Pull Yourself Together
 Devo-Wiggly World
 The Smiths-The Headmaster Ritual
 The Chills-Familiarity Breeds Contempt
 Dogs Die In Hot Cars-I Love You Cause I Have To
 The Fall-Cruiser's Creek
 U2-Celebration
 XTC-Radios In Motion
 Hot Hot Heat-Goodnight Goodnight
      The Futureheads
 Kula Shaker-Sound Of Drums
 Libertines-Can't Stand Me Now
 The Clash-Police On My Back
 Snow Patrol-Run

Taster

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 10:05:00 am »
I didn't like the Futureheads album either but went because my buddy had a free ticket.  Was anyone else impressed by The Shout Out Louds?

tenfifteen

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
Sorry... exceedingly unimpressed by the Shout Out Louds, and I think that was their point. The "I'm too bored to try" stage presence doesn't work for me. Just struck me as contrived. Started strong, but by the fifth song, I was ready for them to be done. Haven't heard them on disc though--how's that EP?

High Speed Scene was the high point for me, but I'm a sucker for power-pop.

Dug the Futureheads quite a bit (and I do like their album), but christ... didn't realize how many younguns were in their fan base. They have a song on the OC soundtrack or what?

Oh yeah... and liberty spikes? Man that is edgy. At the mall. Who was the unfortunate f**k who that kid stood in front of?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
Originally posted by ravedubin:
  I am a DJ-I am what I play
 Set-list
Thanks for the list.  I was going to comment on how much I liked the DJ set, even though I only caught everything post-Shout Out Louds.  Nice.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Sheik Urass:
  are you crazzzzy. I was there ALL night.  That was the most kickin' show I've ever seen; it was Devo meets cashmere sweaters. All the upstairs fans were exhausted.  Maybe you used your press pass and stayed in the VIP section too long.  No slow stuff; no emo; no anthems/hooks...was your hangover blocking your ears and your brain synapses?  You worry me sometimes; you being a music critic and all...  I LOVED the Futureheads and so did everyone else, you freak.  It was THE MOST energetic show at the 930 in the past three years (except for the Jam...).
The most kickin' show you've ever seen? Really? Hyperbole much?

I thought the futureheads were good, but certainly not excellent ... like i said, much more straightforward punk-pop than i expected from them, and all of the guys got on my nerves ... i could see why there were so many high school kids there, it was almost like a british facsimile of the punk-pop on "modern rock" radio here in the good ole US-of-A ... there were definitely a few good songs though, and, like i said, "meantime" was great ... but overall, i say "blah" and "eh?" and i'd be mighty surprised if i was the only one.

what bug flew up your ass?
(o|o)

tenfifteen

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

I thought the futureheads were good, but certainly not excellent ... like i said, much more straightforward punk-pop than i expected from them, and all of the guys got on my nerves ... i could see why there were so many high school kids there, it was almost like a british facsimile of the punk-pop on "modern rock" radio here in the good ole US-of-A ... there were definitely a few good songs though, and, like i said, "meantime" was great ... but overall, i say "blah" and "eh?" and i'd be mighty surprised if i was the only one.
Nah, you're definitely not the only one, although I do think they're far better musically than any of your Blink-182 type bands.

"Fun and worth twelve bucks:" That's about the biggest compliment I can give the Futureheads. I just didn't feel compelled to stick around for the requisite encore (did they even do one?). They'd played the six songs that I dig on the album by that point anyhow.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 12:03:00 pm »
But their CD is the perfect example of straightforward punk-pop.  Why would you expect their live show to be any different? And I'll admit the whole this-side-versus-that-side thing was a bit hokey, but at least they're trying to engage the audience.  I love "chipper" bands.  I like it when they jump around, make cracks at each other and act like they're really enjoying what they do.  There's nothing more annoying than paying to see a band that stands perfectly silent and still, stares at their feet and acts like they'd rather be at home watching TV.

Everyone around me was having a good time, that's for sure.  

"Most energetic show at the 9:30 in the past 3 years"?  Well that's ridiculous.

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 12:14:00 pm »

shut up with the hyperbole comments already.  did you just learn that word a couple weeks ago

i will take Rhett's stance on this show, I didnt like it.  but i didnt go either.  

i dont care for the Futureheads too much.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 12:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

shut up with the hyperbole comments already.  did you just learn that word a couple weeks ago
 [/b]
it's just such a damn good word!! like hirsute.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  But their CD is the perfect example of straightforward punk-pop.  Why would you expect their live show to be any different?
good point, i'm listening to it again, and i'm not sure why i found them so intriguing the first couple of listens ... but i'm not saying they sucked or anything, i thought they put on a good show and i was entertained, just didn't blow my socks off (like the shout out louds did).
(o|o)