Author Topic: The Futureheads roll call  (Read 4919 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: The Futureheads roll call
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2005, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  i could see why there were so many high school kids there, it was almost like a british facsimile of the punk-pop on "modern rock" radio here in the good ole US-of-A ...
Nah, you're definitely not the only one, although I do think they're far better musically than any of your Blink-182 type bands.
 [/b]
yeah, i'd agree they're better, but their call and response stuff and song structures just reminded me alot of the stuff i hear on DC101 (not always a bad thing...), so i guess the big question is why they aren't breaking through to the mainstream, seems like they'd be pretty well-suited for rock radio ...
(o|o)

Bartelby

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]it's just such a damn good word!! like hirsute. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Like "condescending" as in asshole.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sheik Urass:
   I LOVED the Futureheads and so did everyone else, you freak.
who's the asshole again?  i'm just posting what i thought about the show, chillllll out.
(o|o)

tenfifteen

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2005, 12:42:00 pm »
yeah, i'd agree they're better, but their call and response stuff and song structures just reminded me alot of the stuff i hear on DC101 (not always a bad thing...), so i guess the big question is why they aren't breaking through to the mainstream, seems like they'd be pretty well-suited for rock radio ... [/QB][/quote]Definitely agree there. Like I mentioned last week, they remind me alot of the Jam, and that was a band that never really took off here. I think their stuff lacks the more familiar verse/chorus/verse structure of Green Day, et al. And for all the guitar, it's also a lot less power-chordy/"chugga-chugga," both of which go over big here. Maybe we Americans just like our guitar-rock a little more Jimmy Eat World-ish (in general).

tenfifteen

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2005, 12:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  who's the asshole again?  i'm just posting what i thought about the show, chillllll out.
Bow, BOW I SAY, before the rawk holiness that art the FUTUREHEADS, blasphemer!

Taster

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by tenfifteen:
  Sorry... exceedingly unimpressed by the Shout Out Louds, and I think that was their point. The "I'm too bored to try" stage presence doesn't work for me. Just struck me as contrived. Started strong, but by the fifth song, I was ready for them to be done. Haven't heard them on disc though--how's that EP?

High Speed Scene was the high point for me, but I'm a sucker for power-pop.

Dug the Futureheads quite a bit (and I do like their album), but christ... didn't realize how many younguns were in their fan base. They have a song on the OC soundtrack or what?

Oh yeah... and liberty spikes? Man that is edgy. At the mall. Who was the unfortunate f**k who that kid stood in front of?
Have not listened to the EP yet.  Three songs but only cost $2.  Supposedly, a full length will be released this spring.

Bartelby

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2005, 12:53:00 pm »
The most kickin' show you've ever seen? Really? Hyperbole much?

what bug flew up your ass?  [/QB]
Yeah, these remarks were really about the music right?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2005, 12:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sheik Urass:

The most kickin' show you've ever seen? Really? Hyperbole much?

what bug flew up your ass?  [/b]
Yeah, these remarks were really about the music right? [/QB]
the first one, yes, was about the music.

the second one was in response to this:

-----------------------------------
 was your hangover blocking your ears and your brain synapses? You worry me sometimes; you being a music critic and all... I LOVED the Futureheads and so did everyone else, you freak
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2005, 12:56:00 pm »
You two should get a room and work out that hirsute sexual tension that keeps bubbling over onto the board.

Bartelby

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2005, 01:08:00 pm »
:D    :D    :D

booradley17

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
Ever notice how hirsute is the same as hair suit?
 I thought the show was not bad at all,it was the first stop on the first US tour for two bands that only have one full length release each(didn't catch the LA based High Speed Scene).I didn't find the "emo-Strokes" sound of the Shout Out Louds to be particularly compelling but there was nothing objectionable about them either and they had a couple of tunes that were pretty good.Much like their album the Futureheads were very good albeit not great.Their punk influenced pop may recall early XTC,the Jam,and other British bands of the early 80's era a little closely but for me at least that is not the worst thing in the world.They reeled off most of the album in an upbeat just havin' fun to be here fashion and attempted to encourage the crowd into dancing and singing along with with some of their anthemic harmonies.Needless to say the Monday night crowd responded somewhat tepidly but folks seemed to enjoy the set.I was glad to hear the cover of the much underrated Television Personalities 'Dorian Gray' as an encore.It was better than staying home and renting movies.

snailhook

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
I was glad to hear the cover of the much underrated Television Personalities 'Dorian Gray' as an encore.
so that's what that was...i thought i recognized it.

i thought last night was one of the better shows i've sen at the club recently, though maybe because i didn't expect so much from any of the bands. that guy's liberty spikes were intense!

i caught a little of the high speed scene but was too busy running around to pay much attention. they seemed ok, but nothing special.

i actually really enjoyed the shout out louds (dumb name) and "emo-strokes" doesn't seem an apt description. they weren't doing anything new, and have obvious influences (new order/OMD/cure/echo), but they came up with some great melodies and their instruments sounded great. i could care less that they looked bored.

the futureheads (even dumber name) put on a great live show, and they're solid musically. i hear a lot of buzzcocks, jam, and the less experimental, more accessible aspect of wire in them. my biggest criticism is that even after 30 minutes, all of their material sounded the same, and though i enjoyed their set, i doubt i'd listen to their album and be that into it.

Relaxer

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2005, 06:27:00 pm »
I thought the Futureheads would have a hard time recreating the vocal gymnastics of the album, and I think that was the case and is why I thought the show was good but not great. It felt like the acoustics were really boom-y and so rather than creative singing, it seemed more shouty. If I hadn't been familiar with the songs from the album, I don't think I would've enjoyed it much. I think they need better equipment.

And interesting to compare their light show with that of Kasabian and the Music. I think much of what made those two bands seem really good/exciting was the fact that they had shit-hot light systems that must have cost a fortune.

Shout Out Louds were pretty good but I found it a little boring. The keyboard player's couldn't-be-bothered-with-it-all attitude was a pose, but a quite attractive pose.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2005, 07:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

And interesting to compare their light show with that of Kasabian and the Music. I think much of what made those two bands seem really good/exciting was the fact that they had shit-hot light systems that must have cost a fortune.

well, i'm completely on the opposite end of that one ... the strobe lights directly focused on the audience during kasabian's set almost ruined the whole night for me, those things were INTENSE
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
Futureheads Have Little Material, Lots of Show
 Wednesday, February 23, 2005; Page C03
 The Washington Post

For most bands headlining the 9:30 club, playing for only about 50 minutes would seem a cheat. But for the Futureheads, who performed there Monday night, it was a major accomplishment. After all, the brittle and bouncy songs of this quartet from Sunderland, England, tend to stop shy of three minutes, and the group's debut album runs out of steam in under a half hour. Bolstered by high spirits and unexpected showmanship, however, in concert the 'heads never faltered.

Inspired largely by such spry post-punk bands as XTC, the Futureheads play simple songs with clipped rhythms, quick-change chords and multiple voices.

All four band members sing, and hand off verses and choruses with wit and dispatch. Center-stage guitarist Barry Hyde was the principal vocalist, but lead guitarist Ross Millard and one-named bassist Jaff were just as likely to warble a crucial part. Rather than hog the mike, for example, Hyde stepped back and played an elementary vamp while Millard and Jaff handled the choruses of such songs as "The City Is Here for You to Use."

The band didn't merely combine a staccato attack with doo-wop harmonies and a reggae-inspired sense of musical space. It also dabbled in audience participation, which is almost always embarrassing in a rock context. Skillfully employing their amiable dispositions and exotic northeast-England accents, the musicians divided the crowd in half to sing contrapuntal vocal parts of a yipping arrangement of Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love." Any group that can pull off that kind of Pete Seeger moment while playing pogo-pop is clearly in complete control of the stage.

-- Mark Jenkins