Author Topic: Flogging Molly  (Read 1920 times)

Flogging Molly
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:18:00 pm »
What's the verdict on this band? I like the duet with Lucinda Williams...

Flogging Molly expand their Celtic-punk sound with an album that's more mature, more polished, and not quite as intense as its predecessor, although it does have its share of high energy numbers. There are some thrashing punk tunes, some folk ballads, some relatively mainstream hard rock (although there's usually a tin whistle or fiddle to remind you this is Flogging Molly), a Cajun feel on "Tomorrow Comes a Day Too Soon" (which showcases Matt Hensley on accordion), a brief a cappella performance by Dave King ("The Wrong Company"), and even a duet with Lucinda Williams on "Factory Girls." The songs address such topics as U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East ("Screaming at the Wailing Wall"), Irish workers on 17th century sugar plantations in Barbados ("Tobacco Island"), and being prepared to leave nothing behind at death ("Don't Let Me Die Still Wondering"), with nostalgia as a common theme in several songs. The band sounds a bit softer than before, with the mix relatively de-emphasizing electric guitar in favor of other instruments, but this album should still appeal to fans of Flogging Molly's previous work.

ggw

Re: Flogging Molly
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
I saw them on the Warped Tour about five years ago.  Quite enjoyable.  A more punk-ish Pogues.

Don't know that they would be your thing.

I think ThatGuy is a big fan.

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
I saw them and the Dropkick Murphy's a year or two ago.

Flogging definitely have better musicianship then the Murphy's do, but they still have a bit of punk edge to them.  I haven't heard the new album, but I understand it's even less punk then their early stuff.  

I wouldn't recommend them to you based on their older stuff, but their new stuff, as you have pointed out, seems to be right down your alley.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
They are in deed a staph fav, I got a couple of albums off eMusic which I need to crank up more often...
T.Rex

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:07:00 pm »
Not bad, one thing that annoys me about them is the singers habit of putting "er" at the end of the last word of just about every line of every song.

For example...(words made up by me).

I am a man.....er
 of very few words.....er
 of many a whiskey.....er
 and stories to tell

I am a man.....er
 with a past of shame....er
 of secrets to hide.....er
 never to be told.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:42:00 pm »
The singer was the singer for a metal band called Fastway, who I saw open for Iron Maiden when I was a teenager.

ggw

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
 ...Fastway...
They were horrible.  Truly horrible.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 08:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 Quite enjoyable.  A more punk-ish Pogues.

Don't know that they would be your thing.

I think ThatGuy is a big fan.
i agree on all fronts.  i've described them in the same way before.  i'd stick them somewhere between the pogues and the dropkick murphys in terms of punk-ness.  some songs make you want to sing along and swing your guinness around, some make you want to do a jig in the pit.  their shows tend towards the higher energy songs, but they have been mixing in more of the mellow, folkier stuff lately.  they put on one of the best shows at the club last year.  their crowd is very young and active, so if you come, i'd stick to the balcony.

MiloGTC

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 08:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  some songs make you want to sing along and swing your guinness around, some make you want to do a jig in the pit.  their shows tend towards the higher energy songs, but they have been mixing in more of the mellow, folkier stuff lately.  they put on one of the best shows at the club last year.  their crowd is very young and active, so if you come, i'd stick to the balcony.
They're basically a live band: whatever you think of their studio albums (for my part, I think the first two were great and the most recent one mediocre), you can't deny that they put on a ferocious live show. Go see 'em. It's as close as we'll get to seeing the Pogues here anytime soon.

mr_eff

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
I saw them at their last 9:30 show in September, and  I had an enormous amount of fun. I've never seen a circle pit form during a fiddle solo before that night.

As has been mentioned, a very young punk crowd usually turns out for their shows. Last fall, the show sold out the week before, and from the balcony, it looked as if the entire crowd stayed until the lights came up. They put on a fairly tight, high energy set.

They are a four piece Irish-folk band, backed by a three piece punk band...it's good stuff.

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 05:30:00 pm »
eh, I was planning on going to this Guiness/ Flogging Molly show on sat in Florida, but apparently the whole freakin tour is sold out.

is that good Guiness marketing? or do that many people love Flogging Molly.  seems odd for a punk band NOT on the radio to sell out so many shows these days....

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  eh, I was planning on going to this Guiness/ Flogging Molly show on sat in Florida, but apparently the whole freakin tour is sold out.

yeah, i was thinking about going just to check out hot water music ... a couple of those guys went to my high school (also proud home of against me!'s drummer)
(o|o)

andyrichter

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 06:46:00 pm »
this band is HUGE.  show sold out a couple days ago.  glad i got my tickets already.

arcs n sparks86

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
Flogging Molly is an excellent live band; one of the best I've ever seen. I saw them back in the fall of 2004, and again on 2/28/05. Thay are really quite a sight. I really liked the sound of the new album, but still, I really wouldn't classify them as punk.   :)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 05:41:00 pm »
amazing show last night.  i had a blast.