Author Topic: internet rights...  (Read 796 times)

redsock

internet rights...
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »
Anyone know or can find out quickly (vansmack or ggw I'm looking at you) if i need to license 30 or 60 seconds clips for an online promotional video that will be pushing a program for a non-profit? This would be popular commercial music, not creative commons or public domain stuff.

I feel like I could get away with a 30 second clip online, but i could be wrong. Thanks.

beetsnotbeats

Re: internet rights...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
I think it depends on the number of bars of the music that are used so the amount of time obviously varies, but I could be wrong. Also, since you intend to use it promotionally rather than editorially, you would certainly need permission to use a substantial portion.

vansmack

Re: internet rights...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Anyone know or can find out quickly (vansmack or ggw I'm looking at you) if i need to license 30 or 60 seconds clips for an online promotional video that will be pushing a program for a non-profit? This would be popular commercial music, not creative commons or public domain stuff.

I feel like I could get away with a 30 second clip online, but i could be wrong. Thanks.
Legally, yes, you need at least permission (they may waive licensing rights/fees since it's a non-profit) to use the clip.  They would have to catch you and then decide to sue you, but they would have a strong case if they decided to pursue it.

If you're going to put it online, I HIGHLY recommend you seek at least permission, but it will likely require a license.
27>34