Author Topic: Turntable  (Read 6334 times)

mattedling

Re: Turntable
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »
check ebay...I just got a great technics directive drive table for under $50.  All it needed was a new needle.  But make sure you do your research before you bid or buy.  A pretty good source that I've found to be helpful is:

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by med:
 But make sure you do your research before you bid or buy.
i'd love to buy a used bike, a used turntable, used golf clubs, etc, etc, because i know there are so many deals out there ... but it seems like you have to have a fairly in-depth knowledge of what you're looking to buy when you go this route, otherwise i'm afraid of being ripped off or not getting the greatest deal

seems like this would be a good idea for some kind of a startup business, offering technical expertise to people in the market for used goods

anyway, thanks for all your thoughts on this thread, i'll let you know what i end up with
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »
You should also bear in mind that collecting vinyl can get expensive.  I mean, it'll probably start out innocently -- you'll just dabble in the $10 stuff for sale at the merch table at shows -- but pretty soon, you'll be popping 7"s from eBay a couple times a week and skulking around the east coast looking to score that Japanese pressing of the Powerslave picture disc.

jm1

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »
I got a Stanton Magnetic turntable at DJ Hut...solid, reliable...$275 if I recall correctly. I've heard only good things from other Stanton owners as well.

...and welcome aboard!

http://vinyldistrict.blogspot.com/

edbert

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »
I just got a great technics directive drive table for under $50.
I let Orpheus Recs have mine for $20 when I junked my vinyl last year... and a fine SL-D20 it was. I don't miss it or those bulky, noisy old LPs. I just kept a few covers fer lookin' at

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Stairmaster E:

I just got a great technics directive drive table for under $50.
I let Orpheus Recs have mine for $20 when I junked my vinyl last year[/b]
I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
 I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.
(o|o)

bearman🐻

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »
Whatever you do, don't get a belt drive...WAY worth it to get the direct drive. Also love my Denon.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Whatever you do, don't get a belt drive...WAY worth it to get the direct drive. Also love my Denon.
Very high-end turntables (over $1K) are often belt-driven because of the weight of their platters. Heavier platters have steadier speed (which is pointless if you have an off-center disc, a common problem with vintage vinyl).

ggw

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »
My understanding of the great direct vs. belt debate is as follows: Direct drives have the motor connected directly to the platter. Belt drives separate the motor from the platter.  The latter is preferable because it reduces vibration.  Higher-end direct drive tables resolve the vibration problem with damping mechanisms. DJs prefer direct drive because they do all that wiki-wiki mixmaster stuff and donâ??t want the hassle of knocking the belt off the spool or stretching it.  For home listening, belt drives are generally a better choice because you can get higher quality at a lower price.

tobyd

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »
Been collecting for decades and still love the vinyl.  This web site could be your new best friend:

http://www.needledoctor.com

Personally I had a Pro-ject $300 turntable that I bought new and loved it.  I had no choice to jump ship though when I scored a nice condition Thorens from my brother.  Ciao, Toby

renton007

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 08:40:00 am »
I bought a Sony PS-1700 a few years ago at Plan 9 in Richmond. I picked it because it was an older model and had a vintage look, plus I got it for $30 because a friend at the store hooked me up.  

It worked pefectly until I moved in September. I also broke the cover in the move.

Record and Tape Exchange, I think that's the name, in Annadale/Fairfax is where I get most of my vinyl.  I went through my CDs and grabbed anything I hadn't listened in years and sold them for store credit.  I received enough credit to buy a good number of records to start a collection.

When it comes to vinyl I try to be very selective and only get albums that I will listen to start-finish (Low, This Years Model, All Mod Cons, The Queen is Dead...).

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 08:50:00 am »
People think direct drives are essential because it's common knowledge that DJs like them.  But  direct drive is only important if you're going to be messing around with scratching and stuff.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter, and belt drives even have some advantages, described above.

In real life, the odds of ever having to replace the belt are very low.
_\|/_

bearman🐻

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 09:20:00 am »
I respectfully disagree about not needing direct drive. The thing I love about my direct drive is being able to control the pitch, not only that but the great thing is that the speed is constant. I've found that belt drive turntables tend to wear and there's nothing worse than a warbly LP. Maybe it's just me, but I can hear those slight variations and it drives me nuts.

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 10:38:00 am »
Belt drives to me are like automatic transmission on a car.  Sure they are fine and really easier if you're just taking the kids to a soccer game. but if you really want to drive...get a 5-speed (6-speed)

and i agree with bearman, i like DD for its pitch control abilities, not the "wiki wiki", whiteboy phrase ggw used, lol.

as far as quality goes i dont think buying a $100 table is gonna matter which style it is very much.

jm1

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »
Came across this the other day after reading this thread:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74106.asp?promo=mp3

Anybody have any thoughts/opinions about the conversion quality?