Author Topic: Turntable  (Read 6333 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Turntable
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »
so i had an epiphany lately, and i'm going to start buying vinyl instead of CDs ... i download 95% of the music i listen to, and i barely ever listen to CDs, so buying them occasionally just to rip onto my computer seems pretty meaningless ... vinyl would be more fun to collect, and i like the idea of album frames

all that babbling aside, i need to get a turntable ... any recommendations?  is it worth it to get one of those new-fangled digital turntables that hook right into your PC for ripping?
(o|o)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: Turntable
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »
I've been thinking the same thing lately... so yes.

Good thread Hoya, I would also enjoy any recommendations.
nothx

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »
I as well have been playing around with this idea.
احمد

ggw

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »
What's your budget?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  What's your budget?
well, i'd develop a budget as i figure out my options ... i assume there's everything from a hot-pink my-first-record-player to DJ-quality gear, right?

sorry to come on here so ignorant, i guess i should browse the web a bit
(o|o)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »
  What's your budget?
Under $300ish.
nothx

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:

What's your budget?
Under $300ish. [/b]
yowsa!
(o|o)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:

What's your budget?
Under $300ish. [/b]
Being a roller derby D-girl must PAY!

Brian

ggw

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »
I have a Denon PF-300 that I got new at Myer-Emco for less than $300.  It's been solid, if not spectacular.

I had the ~$150 Sony model and it was a piece of crap (as most Sony products are these days).

I have no personal experience with Pro-Ject, but the Debut III gets decent reviews.

Thorens also gets good reviews.  The entry-level Thorens are in the $400-$500 range.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
  I have a Denon PF-300 that I got new at Myer-Emco for less than $300.  It's been solid, if not spectacular.

I had the ~$150 Sony model and it was a piece of crap (as most Sony products are these days).

I have no personal experience with Pro-Ject, but the Debut III gets decent reviews.

Thorens also gets good reviews.  The entry-level Thorens are in the $400-$500 range.
thanks for not being a jackass about it.
 id rather buy something of good quality that i'm going to be able to get good use out of - even if it means i have to pay a little more...

i was being realistic with my budget meaning i'd rather pay under $300, but would go there for good equipment. sheesh you people...

besides brian, since you're stalking me and all, i figured you'd know what i was making, my blood type and at what times i walk my dog.
nothx

slowgraffiti

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »
i have a gemini direct drive. i like it. one of the most important things for me was that it wasn't a belt drive. not having to worry about that is worth the extra $50 or whatever it costs.
 http://www.amazon.com/GEMINI-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B000AAPNKC
 then again, it's the first turntable i've ever used so i have no basis for comparison.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »
just from browsing on amazon i see the $100 price-point as a bit of a sweet spot, is it really hard to get a reliable rig for that price?

i can think of many other toys that i would buy for ~$300 before i spend that much on a turntable =)
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »
being a an-ex DJ, i always recommend Technics as they are certainly the best turntable.

however, they are very pricey and while you can get them second hand, most ppl with technics are trying to sell a pair.  

maybe hoya and miss p can go in on a pair.  

There are lots of DJs looking to get rid of their tables...since most of them use CD decks and computers now.

Personally I have the Gemini TT02 table, i think they are $100-$150 a piece. they work perfectly well
  just make sure you get a Direct Drive, not a belt.  ;)

azaghal1981

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »
Someone asked Steve Albini this question in that 2+2 thread:

"Hifi turntables are currently being made by Rega, Sota, Music Hall, VPI and many others. You should be able to get a good belt drive turntable for less
 than $500, and a good tonearm and cartridge for less than $300. You can sometimes get a whole system for less than $500, and with maintenance and new belts
 and needles, it will last you the rest of your life. You can also get a nice second-hand Thorens or other old school setup for about the same."
احمد

ggw

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »
Turntable reviews.

In my experience, you generally get what you pay for.

I've never had a direct drive table, but from what I have read, you have to go much higher in price point to get the benefits.  Problems with belt drive tables can usually be fixed (very cheaply) by simply replacing the belt.