Author Topic: Jayhawks call it a day  (Read 4674 times)

Jayhawks call it a day
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:13:00 am »
Jayhawks call it a day

AP

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Jayhawks are apparently splitting up. Singer Gary Louris has confirmed that the alternative-country pioneers - formed in Minneapolis two decades ago - are no longer an active band.

"I don't think we're going to do anything else," Louris told the Star Tribune. "We felt like we've done that enough. Everybody just wants to do something else. We haven't completely closed the door, but ... I'd say it's dead."

A concert in Madison, Wisconsin, on Saturday reunited Louris with singer Mark Olson, who quit the Jayhawks in 1995.

Since their formation, the Jayhawks have issued five major-label albums that have sold about one million copies combined. Rolling Stone and Spin magazines listed the group's Hollywood Town Hall (1992) as one of the most essential albums of the 1990s.

Louris recently co-wrote new tunes with the Dixie Chicks and appears eager to try other directions, such as record production.

sonickteam2

Re: Jayhawks call it a day
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 10:22:00 am »
awww, and i was hoping for another bland record or two.  sheesh.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
don't worry, there will be more radiohead albums out

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
Of course, we know that they have put out 7 albums, not 5.

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
only albums on major labels count I guess

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
i think they said 5 major label-records. werent they on Twin/Tone for thier first two?

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:

don't worry, there will be more radiohead albums out [/b]
ha!  i guess you can call Radiohead a lot of things, but bland is not one of them.  I saw the Jayhawks once and man, they were SORRY. it was even in Wisconsin , with all thier Midwestern people....

ratioci nation

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
  ha!  i guess you can call Radiohead a lot of things, but bland is not one of them.  I saw the Jayhawks once and man, they were SORRY. it was even in Wisconsin , with all thier Midwestern people....
seen them 3 times and they were only sorry 1 of those times, but i am guessing our definitions of sorry are very different

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 10:44:00 am »
You are right. Good eye.

i think they said 5 major label-records. werent they on Twin/Tone for thier first two? [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
 seen them 3 times and they were only sorry 1 of those times, but i am guessing our definitions of sorry are very different
was the sorry time recent? perhaps they were on their downward spiral (i saw them in 2003)

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
I only actually ever saw them twice. The second time was at the 9:30 touring on Rainy Day Music. Based on that experience, I would call them a decent live band, but it's their albums that made them great to me.

The first time I saw them was in '92, opening for Matthew Sweet. I really wanted to see them, but my friend farted around and we only caught the last two songs. He complained that they sounded "like Willie Nelson." Little did he know that they would end up becoming one of his favorite bands, he would end up liking Willie Nelson, and Matthew Sweet would slowly fade into irrelevance and other Thorns-y situtations.

ratioci nation

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
 was the sorry time recent? perhaps they were on their downward spiral (i saw them in 2003)
they have all been in the last few years, the good ones were acoustic though

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
  and Matthew Sweet would slowly fade into irrelevance
more irrelevant than the jayhawks??
(o|o)

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 12:11:00 pm »
I'll bet the Jayhawks came much closer to filling the 9:30 Club on their most recent tours than Matthew Sweet did on his.

As to whose music was more irrelevant, that's completely subjective. Too me, the Jayhawks most recent album, Rainy Day Music, was the best of their career. To me, Matthew Sweet hasn't done anything that approached Girlfriend, before or since.

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

and Matthew Sweet would slowly fade into irrelevance
more irrelevant than the jayhawks?? [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:00 pm »
i really like MS's "In Reverse"... then again i'm a sucker for that brand of pop and production.  the record he recently did for his japanese fans is good also.  it was apparently written and recorded in just a few days.
T.Rex