Author Topic: The Police Roll Call (7/20/07)  (Read 30007 times)

TheDirector217

Re: The Police Roll Call (7/20/07)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  anyone who pays that much for a show, either feels it was worth it or it was a rip.  the money controls the brainwaves of life.  eeg all the way to the atm.
Eh.  I consider concerts an investment in my happiness.  There's only a handful of acts I would/have pay(id) that much to see.  Police, Stones, U2, The Who, Prince, & Michael Jackson.  That's about it.  (Zeppelin & Floyd, but it'll NEVER happen.)  Case en point, I wouldn't mind seeing Genesis but there is no way on Earth they're worth $225.  That's a fuckin' joke.  I laugh.  Haha.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »
having seen the Police at Bonnaroo... i concur with vansmack and we need to lobby the dictionary societies about getting stingified added... maybe we should get colbert to use it on his show.
T.Rex

TheDirector217

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  having seen the Police at Bonnaroo... i concur with vansmack and we need to lobby the dictionary societies about getting stingified added... maybe we should get colbert to use it on his show.
I guarantee you he would, pal.  Just make sure Colbert doesn't jack you for your slanguage . . . Yours/smackie's contribution to pop culture needs to properly recognized . . .

bnyced0

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
Am I the only one that thought Flock of Seagulls blew away the Police on the Synchonicity tour?  Probably!

I usually have your back on these things, but the shit I saw at Live Earth spoiled ANY positive memories from seeing the Police in high school, thus no way in hell they're getting another dime out of me unless they can find that senior I got busy with in the Tacoma Dome parking lot, now THAT's a reunion I'd be happy to attend.

TheDirector217

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
  Am I the only one that thought Flock of Seagulls blew away the Police on the Synchonicity tour?  Probably!

I usually have your back on these things, but the shit I saw at Live Earth spoiled ANY positive memories from seeing the Police in high school, thus no way in hell they're getting another dime out of me unless they can find that senior I got busy with in the Tacoma Dome parking lot, now THAT's a reunion I'd be happy to attend.
I guess the cheese stands alone . . .   :D

westendgirl

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 I wanted the much anticpated and promised Police reunion.  I got the less talked about Sting solo show with great backing muscians who were handcuffed.  But this has run it's course...
YES! This sums it up for me! I must have missed your review of the Bay area show, but I doubt it would have done me any good. I bought my ticket just after they went on sale and prior to the start of the tour with just a hunch that it wouldn't live up to the hype. By 3 p.m. on Saturday I had forgotten all about the show.  

Now 48 hours after seeing Interpol AND I AM STILL FLOATING ON A CLOUD!!!!!

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 08:23:00 am »
I'm with The Director on this one.  Who wants to see a Xerox of 1983?  Well, I guess a LOT of people do with regards to the Police.  Some of you have to take off your nostalgia/rose-tinted glasses.  Andy Summers, Sting and Stewart Copeland are living in 2007.  I don't know what everyone was expecting.  I'm sure if you ask Sting, he's REALLY sorry that "Next To You" didn't rock hard enough for you.

Everybody creams their shorts when Billy Corgan and hired guns play a carbon copy of "Today" but when the three people who created it "play around" musically with a song like "Roxanne" it's heresy.

It totally makes sense to me now why they played Bonaroo.  I'd rather see Summers, Sumner and Copeland "jam" than Phish.  I guess they should have put on everyone's ticket:

"We have matured as musicians.  We won't be wearing the Mad Max outifts from the "Synchronicity II" video, either."

It reminds me of the quote from Muhammad Ali:

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life."

Brian

P.S.  Good pictures, The Director.  My highlights were "Wrapped Around Your Finger," "Truth Hits Everybody" and "Driven To Tears."

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 09:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Everybody creams their shorts when Billy Corgan and hired guns play a carbon copy of "Today" but when the three people who created it "play around" musically with a song like "Roxanne" it's heresy.
That's because Corgan isn't charging $200+ per ticket.

I'm all for artists stretching a little and mixing things up a bit.  But when a night out costs as much as a car payment, they need to drop the ego and give the people what they want.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
I agree tickets were/are WAY overpriced.  I paid $90 each for mine but wouldn't have paid more.  The seats I got with the Best Buy presale were really good.  That's why I always go for the cheapest seats when I go to a show.  I'm tall.  I can stand in the back and still see.

Brian

TheDirector217

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

That's because Corgan isn't charging $200+ per ticket.

I'm all for artists stretching a little and mixing things up a bit.  But when a night out costs as much as a car payment, they need to drop the ego and give the people what they want. [/b]
It's a double-edged sword.  People build shit up just to tear it down.  As someone who was at the Pumpkins & Police shows, I was throughly satisified with both show.  However, the Pumpkins were really good.  The Police were borderline phenomenonal.  Thus justifying the $270 price tag.  In today's concert climate, that price is about right for the seats I wanted.  I'm a "seat snob", so I already what's poppin' before I even jump out there for an on-sale/pre-sale.

I'm with The Director on this one.  Who wants to see a Xerox of 1983?  Well, I guess a LOT of people do with regards to the Police.  Some of you have to take off your nostalgia/rose-tinted glasses.  Andy Summers, Sting and Stewart Copeland are living in 2007.  I don't know what everyone was expecting.  I'm sure if you ask Sting, he's REALLY sorry that "Next To You" didn't rock hard enough for you.

It totally makes sense to me now why they played Bonaroo.  I'd rather see Summers, Sumner and Copeland "jam" than Phish.  I guess they should have put on everyone's ticket:

"We have matured as musicians.  We won't be wearing the Mad Max outifts from the "Synchronicity II" video, either."

It reminds me of the quote from Muhammad Ali:

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life."

Brian

P.S.  Good pictures, The Director.  My highlights were "Wrapped Around Your Finger," "Truth Hits Everybody" and "Driven To Tears."
Those were my highlights as well.  In addition to "Magic", which I never really got into like that until the show.  "Bed's Too Big . . ." was killer as well.  "So Lonely" of course.  I would have liked to have got a taste of "Spirits In The Material World".  Oh, well.  I got 3 more shows to catch that one.    :D  "Voices Inside My Head" was great as well . . .

At times your theories are somewhat outlandish, but I'm with you 150% on this one.  Killer show, to say the least.  I had the time of my life . . . One of 'em anyway.    :D

thirsty moore

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 10:50:00 am »
Would you go see The Ramones and expect to hear artful renditions of Judy Is A Punk?

I'm with The Director on this one.  Who wants to see a Xerox of 1983?  Well, I guess a LOT of people do with regards to the Police.  Some of you have to take off your nostalgia/rose-tinted glasses.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
becoming quite the master of holding three beers plus a camera i see? and, in the dark with sunglasses on no less?
nothx

vansmack

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
  I'm with The Director on this one.  Who wants to see a Xerox of 1983?  
I didn't say it had to be a Xerox, but it sure as hell could have been a lot closer to the product they claimed it would be and the one that we haven't seen in 20 years. Otherwise, don't call it a reunion.

I can see Sting do these versions of the songs any given year, but I have chosen not to.  This tour he claims its a reunion, I get suckered in by the marketing and I get Sting versions of Police songs.  Thank god I didn't have to hear his solo crap, but I still would have liked to hear a Police version of a song.  Did they really have to do a jazzy interlude or throw in crowd participation in EVERY song they haven't played as a band in 20 years?  Would it kill them to do just a couple songs as they have in the past?  

That's been my point from the beginning.
27>34