Author Topic: Warehouse Next Door  (Read 82317 times)

snailhook

Warehouse Next Door
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:02:00 am »
since the last thread was getting pretty long, i figured i'd start a new one...

Saturday, February 26
 Warehouse Next Door  
 1021 7th St NW
 Washington DC
 doors at 8:30, show at 9
 $7, all ages

Earthride (Southern Lord, ex-Spirit Caravan, MD doom)
 Unearthly Trance (The Music Cartel/Rise Above, from NYC)
 VOG (northern VA doom)
 The PB Army (Ohio stoner-punk)
 Peasant (Baltimore sludge/doom)

Earthride

Earthride are another incredible band from the Doom Capitol/Maryland, the fertile breeding ground that has spawned Pentagram, Internal Void, Wretched, Iron Man, Unorthodox, and of course Spirit Caravan. In fact, there's connections to some of these bands: drummer Eric Little was in Internal Void, and singer Dave Sherman was in Wretched and also played bass in Spirit Caravan (along with sharing vocal duties with guitar god, Wino). The band's first offering was a self-produced, self-titled 4-song EP/CD on their own label, Earth Brain records (2000). This recording coupled with their relentless live shows quickly proved Earthride was more than just "Sherm's side project." The Earthride sound is a brutal combination of Sherm's whiskey-burned, Lemmy-esque vokills trainwrecked into a punishing mountain of doom. One listen to the mammoth wall of guitar that Kyle (sonic titan) Van Steinburg blankets over the concrete rythym section and its obvious that Earthride holds their own. "Taming of the Demons" is the band's first official full-length recording and was recorded by acclaimed producer Chris Koslowski (Pentagram, Spirit Caravan, Internal Void, the Obsessed) in their homestate of Maryland. The band's adopted phrase, "PURE MARYLAND DOOM FOR THE BROTHERHOOD OF MUSIC", sufficiently sums up that the strength of this band lies in their unified dedication to produce hard, no-frills, heavy music! So loud, so alive. All heavy, the Earthride!!!

Unearthly Trance

"The march of Templar Knights at twilight. Ritualistic subterranean drift. The decay of cathedrals over eons. Unearthly Trance, formed in 2000 and comprised of members Darren Verni, Rion Lipynsky, and Jay Newman, unleash a frostbitten, apocalyptic vision with their brand of grim hypnotic doom. Blackened sound waves, lethargic riffs, and dire proclamations drone from the void."

"I'm having a tough time putting the Unearthly Trance experience to words. Honestly, I've been thinking about this for at least a week before first spinning Season of Trance, Science of Silence and don't quite know how to translate music so innately visceral into a formation of words that can adequately describe this recording.

I'll give it a shot. There are words - just single words - that come to mind: Black; evil; occult;oppressive; rites and ritual; suffocating; sickness; crushing; prolific; hopeless; cold.

Unearthly Trance treads in the outer fringes of doom metal, territory held within the death grip of the most extreme: Khanate; Hlidolf; Ungl'Unl'Rrlh'Chchch; Runemagick and a few chosen others. Melody is forsaken for a pure, blackened visceral aura; gut-churning bass frequencies and beyond-the-grave vocals. Guitarist/vocalist Rion Lipynsky writes some incredibly captivating lyrics - part dark prose, part arcane ritual. For added dark art credentials, famed occultist Aliester Crowley gets credit for both band inspiration and for the lyrics to "Mass of the Phoenix". Lipynsky and Jimmy Page should get together and go bowling.

Underground artist/musician/doom hero Stephen O'Malley (Lotus Eaters, Sunn0))), Khanate, etc) gets credit for the mix and co-production of Season of.... A wise choice. I'm a firm believer that everything O'Malley touches turns to quality, and Season of... is no exception. The sound here is exceptional, the guitar and percussion crushing, the low-end set on suffocation. Lipynsky's vocals alternate between blackened dissonance and what sound like cries from a dark, desolate canyon. The latter effect, which sets lipynsky's voice farther back in the mix, is particularly chilling giving the whole thing a palpable supernatural vibe. Frighteningly supernatural.

Given the amount of time and effort this band has put into it's craft, I couldn't be happier with the result of their first full length. To say it's impressive is a big understatement. I'm no psychic but I'm betting Season of... will join the ranks of underground extreme doom classics like Burning Witch's Crippled Lucifer, The Teeth of the Lions Rule the Divine's Rampton and the first Khanate album. Congrats. You just etched your name in the hallowed pantheon of the unholy. A sure bet for cult status." (Hellride Music)

The PB Army

"PB Army's Keith Bergman likes to describe "Inebriates, Equivocators and Mockers of the Devil Himself" as "stoner-pop-metal." Some might take that to mean that they're fusing stoner rock and pop-metal -- perhaps Fu Manchu, Orange Goblin, Goatsnake and Eyehategod by way of Warrant, Poison and Bon Jovi. That's an intriguing idea, certainly, but it isn't what PB Army is going for on this promising debut album. Rather, singer/drummer Bergman seems to mean pop as in highly melodic pop -- as in having a sense of craftsmanship and operating from the premise that headbangers don't have to govern by brute force alone. This 2002 session has most of the familiar stoner rock ingredients: a definite Black Sabbath influence, fuzzy guitars and an appreciation of Seattle's late â??80s/early â??90s grunge. But PB Army has a cleaner sound than most stoner bands, and they obviously appreciate the fact that a lot of â??70s metal bands -- including Sabbath -- were highly musical. They realize that Ozzy Osbourne and his colleagues had more than riffs and amplifiers -- they had songs. Sabbath had a commitment to melody -- a fact that wasn't lost on the Cardigans when they provided dream pop/shoegazer interpretations of "Iron Man" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" in the â??90s -- and so did Budgie and Blue Oyster Cult, two other â??70s combos that have influenced PB Army. In fact, just about every band that has affected PB in some way -- a list that ranges from those â??70s headbangers to Alice in Chains, Queens of the Stone Age, Voivod and Nirvana -- realized that loudness and musicality aren't mutually exclusive. For all its forcefulness and aggression, this CD isn't brutal -- invigorating and intense, but not hammer-to-the-skull brutal the way a metalcore outfit like Brick Bath is brutal. PB Army's debut falls short of groundbreaking; regardless, this is among the more memorable stoner recordings of 2002." (All Music Guide)

VOG

Formed in the peak of the summer of 2004, VOG had itâ??s first jam in a basement in Oakton, Virginia. VOG came to fruition based on an intent to play music with other members who were serious enough to commit to playing on a regular basis. Riffs written out of pipe dreams flowed through the aura of dirge that released the steam of sour days.
 VOG is the hawaiian term for a wretched gas/smoke present when volcanoes erupt that makes all that come in contact with it nauseous.

shoot ur shot

Re: Warehouse Next Door
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
I'll be there. Any idea when the show will let out?

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 04:48:00 pm »
probably around 1-1:30. we're starting promptly at 9 because there are five bands.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 05:33:00 pm »
are you selling advance tickets for enon?
o/\o

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
not that i know of, though considering how packed it was last time, we probably should. swearing at motorists is opening, and i doubt they have much pull.

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 05:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
 swearing at motorists
hmmmm, enon and swearing at motorists, sounds like something I should go to but probably wont, when is that one?

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 05:47:00 pm »
friday, march 25

check out the new (and still pretty minimal) website. we have all of our confirmed shows going into may.

jkeisenh

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
  check out the new (and still pretty minimal) website. we have all of our confirmed shows going into may.
and that May 27 show looks like quite the party!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
  not that i know of, though considering how packed it was last time, we probably should. swearing at motorists is opening, and i doubt they have much pull.
What time will doors open for Enon, and how early do you think I reasonably need to get their if advanced tickets will not be sold?

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 06:22:00 pm »
doors for enon will be 9pm, and we will likely add a local band. if you get there around 8:30, you should be fine. if you get there early and there's no line, you can always hang out in the cafe for a bit.

i'm pretty stoked for chris thompson's new band, red eyes legends. thompson was in circus lupus, the monorchid, and skull kontrol.

mono is going to be amazing, too. their new record is as good as anything by explosions in the sky and mogwai.

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 10:38:00 pm »
  mono is going to be amazing, too. their new record is as good as anything by explosions in the sky and mogwai.
I plan on trying to make it to this show.

Would you please post the extended calendar again in this thread? The one without all the details that has all of the shows on the list.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 03:35:00 am »
I was held back in the rotten core of nova babysitting my little nephew all evening and couldn't make it out to the warehouse. This is maybe the 10th opportunity I've had to catch unearthly trance and I keep blowing it. I guess I'll have to wait all the way to mid april for the hidden hand/weedeater show to get my doom fix.

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 05:40:00 am »
if you need your doom fix, come out next sunday for nitroseed, valkyrie, and eldemur krimm. nitroseed is rob from earthride and gary from spirit caravan playing instrumental stoner/doom with a math-rock flavor, valkyrie are kind of like a heavy psych/NOWBHM hybrid, and eldemur krimm are from maine and described as "mountain on crack."

by the way, unearthly trance absolutely tore the place up tonight. too bad you got stuck babysitting, you would've loved their slow, brutal, droned-out sludge.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 02:24:00 pm »
Wow I don't see how I missed this one on the calendar. I'm actually familiar with both bands. Weeknight shows can be kind of tough for me now that I don't have a car anymore and with the early metro closings and all, but I could possibly get one of my buddies to go. We'll see.

jkeisenh

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
I'll be out for Circle Takes the Square on Thursday-- they were just awesome last time they were in town.  

Kudos to snail for having what is without a doubt the best lineup in the city.