Author Topic: 1" snow = NC State of Emergency = All Things Considered The South  (Read 3620 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
And people say Washingtonians are weather wimps...

This from  CNN:

Surprise snow stuns N. Carolina

RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) -- A surprise 1-inch snow that turned to ice on frigid roads stunned North Carolina's capital, trapping motorists in epic traffic jams and stranding some 3,000 pupils overnight at schools. The governor urged people to stay home Thursday while crews clean things up.

Highways were clogged with desperate drivers whose commutes Wednesday stretched to as long as eight hours. Law officers tallied about 1,000 accidents in the Raleigh-Durham area, but there were no reports of fatalities.

"You'd move a little bit, then you sat ... then you moved a little bit, then you sat," said salesman Brian Baldelli, who took seven hours to go nine miles on one highway.

Gov. Mike Easley declared a state of emergency, allowing him to open two state government buildings in downtown Raleigh as shelters.

Department of Transportation crews "have been out all night scraping the roads and spreading salt, but their work is not yet complete," Easley said early Thursday. "If people can stay home, especially this morning, I am encouraging them to do so."

Some 3,000 students spent the night at Wake County schools after bus operations were suspended and parents were unable to come get them. With Thursday classes canceled, school officials planned to have the stranded youngsters bused home during the morning.

Such a mess from a mild snowfall stunned even the forecasters.

"In the 24 years I've lived here, I have never encountered the traffic situation I saw today," WRAL-TV chief meteorologist Greg Fishel said. He apologized on the air for what the station's "embarrassing" forecast -- a few flurries.

National Weather Service forecaster Brandon Locklear said very dry snow packed onto roads that were frigid after two days of below-freezing temperatures.

"You had some melting from the compression of people driving on the roads, followed rapidly by refreezing," he said. Road crews were forced to try applying melting agents to jammed roads.

Lisa Sun of Raleigh resigned herself to spending the night inside a 24-hour grocery store when police closed an ice-covered bridge, cutting her off from her home. She had already spent four hours covering a distance that usually takes half an hour and saw "a slew of accidents."

Almost two dozen people at the grocery early Thursday, watching TV or sprawling on air mattresses.

"They have food and a restroom," Sun said. "We're pretty happy."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:07:44 am by Justin Tonation »
😐 🎶

hitman

Re: 1" snow = NC State of Emergency
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 04:51:00 pm »
My brother lives down there, and I think this shit is kinda funny too.  Basically the problem is that since Winter is normally kind to that area, they don't put the kind of money into machinery and salt, etc. that the mid-Atlantic region does.  So when they get a storm, they only have less than 1/2 of the machinery and supplies that MD does.  So it takes a little longer.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 07:24:00 pm »
They just don't know how to drive there.  I have gone there several times recently for work and their traffic has dramatically gotten worse (backups and the like) but they still drive like that will never happen.  Fenderbenders are all over the place.  Worse than here by a wide margin.  Leaving the office to the airport there I saw 2 5 car accidients on opposite sides of the road.  They just tailgate like traffic will never stop and don't know how to use the brakes.

Re: State of Emergency
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:32:32 am »
with all the other news.... (I know the subject line only kinda works for this one...but I love bring up old ones)

Ralph Northam@GovernorVA
Based on these threats, I am declaring a state of emergency in Richmond from Friday evening until Tuesday evening

Crazys are converging on RVA Monday!  take cover and I wouldn't recommend a counter protest
MLK of all days
slack

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:56:28 am »
(I know the subject line only kinda works for this one...but I love bring up old ones)

a well armed and amped up militia of old white dudes in full force in RVA
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:10:24 pm by Lev in the time of Choleraıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llı »
slack

hutch

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:35 am »
It makes sense that the further south you go the less people are able cope with snow.....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 02:02:57 pm »
stay safe, jules... today probably isn't a good day for clowning the wingnuts.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 06:07:35 pm »
stay safe, jules... today probably isn't a good day for clowning the wingnuts.
Turned our to be a total non-event. Supposedly both sides were very chill (weather pun intended). Thanks for checking in.
LVMH

WALKonBack

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 08:34:42 pm »
Sign, of the whole RVA march . . .

"GUN RIGHTS, ARE TRANS RIGHTS"

Yes, that's right, this thread is not about NC or snow, anymore.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:36:57 pm by WalkOnBack »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: 1" snow = NC State of Emergency = All Things Considered The South
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 01:10:02 am »
Modified the subject. Keep or change back?
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 04:14:12 am »
works for me!
<sig>

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 10:53:22 am »
Modified the subject. Keep or change back?
works...mostly a rif on the Gunver doing the state of emergency on the capitol since tons were showing up with guns
I am happy to hear that 10's of thousands of gun rights owners showed up with guns and live ammunition and no one got hurt

I think the bitter cold I think was the secret to success.  If it had been 90 out, there would have been blood...

I will say I was annoyed with the libs "they are covering their face'...dude it was like 25 degrees out and windy.  I'd be wearing a scarf, hat and glasses too

I did think it was in bad taste to do it on MLK day, considering he was assassinated, but the alt-right crowd has not been notted for their adherence with good taste
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 01:26:12 pm »
I will say I was annoyed with the libs "they are covering their face'...dude it was like 25 degrees out and windy.  I'd be wearing a scarf, hat and glasses too

so how do you explain them doing the same in summer?
<sig>

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 01:33:00 pm »

so how do you explain them doing the same in summer?
I'll address that in the summer
slack