Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 4412 times)

MrShiver

Vinyl
« on: November 17, 2003, 12:13:00 am »
I'm looking for a store that has a good selection of punk, emo, and hardcore stuff on vinyl (and I'd also like to pick up a vinyl copy of the new Strokes record).  Anyone know any good places, preferably ones close to a metro stop?

Chip Chanko

Re: Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 12:56:00 am »
Orpheus Records by the Clarendon metro?

paige

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Orpheus Records by the Clarendon metro?
i second that. kind of odd, the guy doesnt ever wear shoes or cut his toenails but they have a great selection. yar!

ggw

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 02:23:00 pm »
There's another place, down on King Street in Old Town.  It's down near the intersection with Union Street.  I think it's called Luna Disc, but I'm not positive.  Good prices, but the selection is nowhere near that of Orpheus.  And the guy who runs the place loves to talk. a lot.

paige

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 02:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  There's another place, down on King Street in Old Town.  It's down near the intersection with Union Street.  I think it's called Luna Disc, but I'm not positive.  Good prices, but the selection is nowhere near that of Orpheus.  And the guy who runs the place loves to talk. a lot.
Yea I've been there -- the name escapes me. It's a fun little place if you aren't looking for something too specific. And yes, that dude loves to talk. A lot.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:06:54 am »
anybody ever shop at CD Depot.. I am AMAZED to find out there is apparently a record store - a big one- in College Park that I have never been to.. I'd heard some mentions over the years but thought it had closed or was only CDs...Its not..

http://cdepot.com/about.php

judging by the website and their facebook they do not have a clue what they are doing....

Anyways I'll be trekking up there soon to see wasup and will report back...

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:48 am »
Been to CD Depot and my impression was exactly as you described: they had no idea what they were doing. Tons of overpriced CDs and stacks upon stacks of garbage vinyl.

Hope your experience is different.  I'd definitely stop by again if they have somehow figured things out. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 11:34:02 am »
Whenever I go to CDepot, I'm generally underwhelmed, and I leave empty-handed and discouraged.  That said, I tend to walk through there every couple of months.  It may be time to reexamine my life.

hutch

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »
ok I went .. more to follow!

hutch

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 08:30:59 pm »
the bad:

its a shitshow. .. billions of records in record boxes some on top of other boxes.. some with prices.. many without (to be priced!)....some records have mold or massive scratches and should not be in a self respecting record shop.... records are generally overpriced.. some records which one can get for $1 at this place are like $19.99! (Eagles original textured cover!!!!!!!!!!! reads sticker... okaaaaaaaayy.. guess you might want to hold on to that).. not much rock.. nothing really past 1990 except a very few things......even the scratched bargain bin stuff is generally $2.99.. a lot of the stuff has stickers "has some marks.." or "has marks".. marks= bad scratches!........ so much merchandise so disorganized..you could go here seeking record x it could be there and you would never find it! no turntables to listen to stuff and see if those giant scratches are innocent! if there is any value in a record they tend to know it and price it as such... they also have a section for "valuable records" but I did not go there .. i noticed an Eagles Desperado there.. really?  the staff could not care less about the customer... they are there to collect a paycheck....many of the boxes get in the way of even looking in the stacks! massive amounts of boxes strewn everywhere are either to be priced or who knows what is going on...

hutch

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 10:15:33 pm »

the good:

well there are a shitload of records everywhere.. very few record stores you walk in and see Bo Diddley Chess first pressings of his first two records! Or like 10 James Brown King LPs! they got a lot of cool stuff if you like records...now you may take them out of the sleeve and notice scratches and be like.. no I will not buy this but still kind of fun.. they have a good selection of black music..and jazz. the rock is kind of lacking and the modern music like punk on very lacking..but its full of boxes with random assortments of records and if you like records and you like "digging" and have the time its kind of interesting.... i was able to find a few cool things i bought (see picture)... i paid 11.99 for the james brown (good deal) 7.99 for the big youth (good deal..although turns out the record is not that good musically..it is a trojan lp though)...louis bellson 7.99 (record is mint.. split seam though.. top shelf jazz though)... the go go record was 1.99... is a sort of we are the world effort from 1988 when violence in dc was out of control... i buy go go records but frankly unless you need to hear 2001 a space oddyssey with the klip klop beat type shit i am not sure anyone needs this... i find go go largely worthless. i collect it cause I live in dc... and the impressions lp is kind of beat but its their second lp from 1964 (1966ish pressing) and i did not have it.. so  i bought it for 1.99....it has their version of keep on movin' .. i had never realized the wailers had jacked this one too... the impressions were surely their biggest model at the beginning when they were a vocal trio with bob/tosh/bunny modeled squarely after the impressions...

anyhow for $32 i guess i did ok but the place is clear around the beltway and the negatives are considerable.... still i may go sometimes when i want to dig around..its almost like going to a record show.. you have no idea what you will find where...

more good: best prices i have seen on RSD stuff... they had stuff you see at other stores for $35 at like $25... the soundgarden LP was $17.... very very reasonable on the RSD stuff..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:18:38 pm by wood9 »

hutch

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »
its the kind of place that you might pull out a record and its the wrong one.. they had a nat king cole 10" lp and in it was a nat king cole 78!

walkie,talkie

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 10:35:59 pm »
fas,cinating.  no really.  your posts, are borderline, epic.

hutch

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 10:57:30 pm »
fas,cinating.  no really.  your posts, are borderline, epic.

well to be fair these are directed towards my fellow vinyl enthusiasts...

dyecraig

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »
^ i'll probably skip that place.
anyone heard anything about gumbo records inside logan's hardware?
from what i've seen on their instagram it looks worth a visit.