Author Topic: Where do you shop for records?  (Read 5639 times)

bellenseb

Where do you shop for records?
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:15:00 am »
Lately I've been morbidly watching the nationwide decline of record retail. So as a check-in, do y'all still buy physical media? And if so, where? Crooked Beat? Olssons? Melody? Best Buy?

amnesiac

Re: Where do you shop for records?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:25:00 am »
Sound Garden, or online via yourmusic.com, CDwow, the band's label, etc...

Taster

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:27:00 am »
Mainly Olsson's, CD Cellar, and Revolution Records (walking distance for me).

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
I hate to say it, but I primarily go to Tower for CDs these days. I only buy stuff that's on sale though.  If I have time (or I'm having a particularly bad day at work) I'll head over to Joe's Record Paradise to look through their vinyl.   I try to buy a lot of stuff at shows too.

kevhender

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
I use Amazon - lots of ways to get the best deal.  The Amazon Visa gives you 3% back, using a9.com (which uses Google) to search gives you 1.59% off, no sales tax, free shipping on orders over $25, and if a price goes down within 30 days you can submit a form for them to credit your card with the difference.  Plus, the prices are generally about the cheapest to begin with.

Darth Ed

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:40:00 am »
I buy most of my CDs these days at shows. Sometimes, I'll buy a CD at Target if it's a big name and they have it on sale the week the album is released.  Or Amazon.com if it's something more obscure and they have it discounted.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
crooked beat ... picked up the new pollard and artic monkeys there yesterday ...
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
insound.com, Orpheus, CD Cellar, Olssons.

kcjones119

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
I like  Revolution  a lot.  Crooked Beat is a cool and small with very helpful staff.  I still haven't checked out the CD-Game Exchange near me but it has been recommended on this board before.

If you're ever in Bawl-T-More, Soundgarden in Fells Point is great or any number of Record and Tape Traders locations.

bellenseb

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »
How much longer do you see most of these stores surviving? I feel like kids (by that I mean younger than 18 today) don't have any interest in buying physical media, and when I shop it's all older ppl...

brennser

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
Yeah, its tough to be an indie these days

I get some of my CDs from Best Buy, some from emusic, some at shows, some from other online sellers, some from friends and some from Revolution

problem w/ Revolution is they are often out of stock or don't have the ones I want - stopped by last week to pick up the Arctics and the new Ray Davies and they were sold out of one and didn't have the other

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »
the stores out here seem to do pretty well

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »
Forced Exposure

T****t often has some decent bargains on mainstream stuff. Recently, they even had a rack of indie stuff for 8.99 (Sufjan, Clap, Danger Doom, etc.); some locations may still have it up.

B***B** sometimes has some real bargains. They recently had Arcade Fire for 7.99.

But for real cheap, at least for the next two weeks, head out to T***r in Annapolis. It's closing; 25% off now through Sunday then 50% off til 3/12. After that, bye bye Annapolis.

Guiny

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »
Best Buy or Amazon.