Author Topic: Hawthorne Heights Hijinx  (Read 3506 times)

ggw

Hawthorne Heights Hijinx
« on: March 02, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »
 To: Street Team

"Happy Hawthorne Heights day everyone - street date has finally arrived!

It all comes down to the next six days and maximizing our sales at as many stores as possible. We are neck-and-neck with this Ne-yo character on Universal and we need everyone out there tilting the tide in our favor. Our projected numbers for first week sales are about even so we really need to make every unit count if we want to win.

We do this first by selling more Hawthorne Heights, hitting as many stores as possible, making sure Hawthorne Heights stock is in the front and very visible in every store we visit. Get inside, do what you need to do, and move on to the next store. Move Hawthorne Heights into as many key positions as you can. Remember there are two covers so not only put them together, put them in different places. HH should have spots in all the new release racks toward the front of the store but we can always increase our presence by dropping a few in another displays.

If you don't see our product on display at the front of the store, particularly later in the week, then go to the bin and move what you can. There are a lot of stores that are not as on top of this as they should be, especially something as hot as Hawthorne Heights, so we need to give these people all the help they can get.

Also look for HH in the areas where stores keep overstock. Sometimes this is below the bins or on the top of the rack. If you find any CDs, particularly under the bins, try to move those out first to the other areas of the store.

On the off chance you find a store that doesn't have any copies of the new Hawthorne, find a clerk and ask him why they don't have it. If it's sold out, find out when they have more coming in. If it's showing as in stock, let him know that you can't find it so he knows to order more.

Here is a list of the best chain stores to go to:
 Best Buy
 Target
 Wal Mart
 FYE
 Coconuts
 Wherehouse
 Circuit City
 Sam's Club
 K Mart
 Sam Goody
 Virgin Borders
 Borders
 Barnes & Noble
 Fred Meyer
 Hastings
 Meijer

As for Ne-yo, the name of the game is to decrease the chances of a sale here. If you were to pick up handful of Ne-yo CDs, as if you were about to buy them, but then changed your mind and didn't bother to put them back in the same place, that would work. Even though this record will be heavily stocked and you might not be able to move all the stock, just relocating a handful creates issues: Even though the store will appear to be out of stock, the computer will see it as in stock and not re-order the title once it sells down and then Ne-Yo will lose a few sales later in the week

This is most important in stores were we are competing with Ne-yo, which is in the big chains that sell pop and urban product. The stores listed above are in the order you should hit them up.

The main thing is to keep the pressure up all week. First day sales are important but keeping our sales going and having a strong weekend are equally important to grabbing the #1 slot that belongs to us.

Please be sure to email me this week and let me know which stores you have gone to and worked your magic at.

Thanks everyone,

Abby

Victory at all costs, Victory in spite of all terror, Victory however long and hard the road may be; for without Victory, there is no survival.

alex

Re: Hawthorne Heights Hijinx
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »
I have no idea who this Ne-Yo character is but I almost want to go buy his CD to spite these assclowns.

These talentless, yet arrogant fucks say they want to "save rock and roll" when they're a large part of the problem in its decline.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »
I just clicked a site that monitors this stuff and apparently Ne-Yo or whoever is projected to sell 275000 to HH 100000. Guess that's what you get for relying on 16 year old emo kids. And for being Hawthorne Heights.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »
Screw Hawthorne Heights!

I'd much, much rather see and listen to Apollo Heights!

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »
Oh there was a better one that they put out earlier in the week. Something about "without you buying this we wouldn't be able to do what we love to do"

In other words, "please support us so we don't have to flip burgers and can continue to get up at noon and write crappy music!"

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
this makes me want to vomit
(o|o)

distance

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 07:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
  Oh there was a better one that they put out earlier in the week. Something about "without you buying this we wouldn't be able to do what we love to do"

In other words, "please support us so we don't have to flip burgers and can continue to get up at noon and write crappy music!"

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
are you talking about this tripe?

With their sophomore full length, If Only You Were Lonely, due out tomorrow, Victory Records act Hawthorne Heights has made a call for fans to help "take rock music back." The email, sent to the hundreds of thousands on the band's mailing list, had this to say:

Tomorrow, our second album, "If Only You Were Lonely" will be in stores. We are reaching out to you because Hawthorne Heights can use your help. We need you, your friends and anyone else you know that likes ROCK music to buy our album tomorrow. The only reason we are able to be a band is because of your support. Without you we would not be able to do what we do.

You buying our album tomorrow has much greater meaning than simply supporting Hawthorne Heights. ROCK music needs your support. Our society and culture has put rock music on the backburner. If our album can debut at #1 all of us will have taken ROCK music back to the top of the charts where it belongs. You might ask, how has ROCK been put on the backburner? A current example is an artist that we are up against called Ne-Yo. Many people are saying that Ne-Yo is going to outsell us because Ne-Yo has had a tremendous amount of over the top, mainstream media coverage. His album will be in stores tomorrow. Radio has played his single 160,000 times. Our single has been played 3,800 times. We know that does not seem possible but it is the truth. Ne-Yo is on a major label. Hawthorne Heights is on an independent label.

ROCK music needs to win tomorrow.

Independent needs to beat Major tomorrow. If all of you take action we can create history. The mainstream media may not choose to fully embrace this ROCK band from Dayton, Ohio but all of you have. No one can take that away from us. It cannot be bought because it comes from the heart. That is what makes us different. Your support means everything to us and is the most valuable thing that we have. You are the people that we depend on. This is as much about you as it is about us. You hear our voices every night. Now, we need to hear yours. You see us at our merch table every night. We need to see you in the stores tomorrow. We cannot come out on top without you. Passion and music with real meaning has a chance to beat out what the media forces down our throats. No one expects us to win. We need to prove them wrong. They underestimate us. Please help us create history tomorrow. This is a `call to arms', a `battle cry', not just for Hawthorne Heights but for all of the other great ROCK bands and independent labels that we all love. All of us deserve this and it is something that we can do together.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »
oh crap... i may have abandon my "brought to you by the letter d" dj set for the Subways, seeing as HH are from Dayton, OH... luckily The Ohio Players and Zapp claim Dayton as home so it may even things out.
T.Rex

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »
Will you be playing one of your's and my new faves, the December Sound?   ;)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 10:15:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  oh crap... i may have abandon my "brought to you by the letter d" dj set for the Subways, seeing as HH are from Dayton, OH... luckily The Ohio Players and Zapp claim Dayton as home so it may even things out.
The Breeders are also from Dayton.  :)  ANYTHING but these doucebags with their "Ohio is for Lovers"

And Distance, yup that's EXACTLY the crap they were sending out! LOL

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 11:34:00 am »
Yup remembering that Breeders shared a home town with Robert Pollard/GBV was part of the "brought to you by the letter d" concept came from.  also from Dayton Brainiac (anyone remember them), Tommy James,  Lou Barlow was born there, etc.  (ain't allmusic grand)

Maybe I should play what the Spin reviewer of the new HH record called one the best 20 seconds in pop from last year break through single.  I'd say 20 seconds is all about this band is worth.

For an "independent" band they are sure working the corporate angle pretty hard, TRL, MTV, Myspace,etc.  It's only a matter of time for them to go out on a corporate sponsored tour, Honda, Scion, etc.  And aren't all those "punk" package tours heavily sponsored, Warped and beyond..

Wonder if they'll feel the slight bit embarrassed when the press pickup on this...  if i were a record clerk their cds would be hidden, then again seeing as that crap pays the rent it would be hard to justify.
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
   also from Dayton Brainiac (anyone remember them),
I love Brainiac, and Enon (although I think they claim to be from NYC).

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
Actually they did Warped Tour last year and I'm sure their current tour has some kind of sponsorship.

I like your idea of hiding their albums in the store, but as you can see from the plea for help they'd want their fans to just take it upon themselves to just move the album to the front of the store.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Arlette

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 01:36:00 am »
So irritating.  They send out an email saying don't buy another artist's record, we have to be #1.  Oy.

I get the wanting to be #1 thing, but it's not at all about the music in this case. The head of their label, Victory, Tony Brummel, is just another dude who wants to be a bigshot in the music biz.  He's a whore who will resort to anything to gain power and feed his ego.

If I had enough energy and/or time I would have started my own street team that would be all about boycotting Hawthorne Heights.  Posting on message boards that they suck, going to clubs and ripping down their posters.  That would be fun.

P.S.  Ne-Yo is going to kick their ass on SoundScan.  I don't know anything about Ne-Yo, haven't heard a single note of music, but I am rooting for him.

Arlette

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 01:44:00 am »
Ha ha, so after I posted this, I did a Google search just to make sure I wasn't full of it regarding Tony Brummel, maybe I had mixed him up with someone else.  

No, I didn't.  Look at this portion of an interview.  StupidHead should read his own words:

If you could change anything about the music community what would it be and why?

- "I think that there is to many people that are negative. There is to many people at other labels who are worried about what other labels are doing.  I think there is a lot of problems I think what would make it better for everybody if people just stopped worrying about what everybody else was doing, and just worried about there own world. So if you started, we'll call it "your label" and you started that tomorrow don't worry about what Victory is doing, don't worry about X Y and Z worry about your own stuff and try to do the best that you can with the bands that you represent and focus on them 24/7 and if they are good, and people hear about them you'll be able to kick ass because this record label stuff isn't rocket science."

Worry about your own stuff!  Right!  Not, like, send out emails telling your band's fans about another artist who you are clearly worrying about.  

Ha ha ha.