Author Topic: More Myspace Idiots  (Read 14901 times)

Re: More Myspace Idiots
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
Not true. What with piercings and tattoos, and mohawks, teenagers now have a myriad of new ways to express themselves individually and cut loose from the herd mentality.

Originally posted by distance:

Originally posted by jdr:
  i'm so happy that i am not "growing up" right now.  was there a cultural wasteland as big as the one going on right now in the mid 80s to mid 90s?  maybe i'm just biased having been in high school and college during that timeframe, but it seems to me that there was nowhere near the level of publicized garbage that there is currently.  maybe i'm wrong though.  the 80s was marred by a lot of one-hit wonders and bad metal.  none of this is to say that there are not a lot of great bands out now, but precious few of them receive much media coverage.  it's all pop tarts and all money all the time.
the commercialization of the internet in the late 1990s has only helped to strengthen the group-mentality that this current teenage generation is a part of.  it's far worse than before.  sure, we can buy our 930 club tickets from our home now, but at what cost to society!? [/b]

distance

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Etan de Balzac, Footie Ball Player:
  Not true. What with piercings and tattoos, and mohawks, teenagers now have a myriad of new ways to express themselves individually and cut loose from the herd mentality.

when everyone is doing those things to cut loose from one herd, doesn't that just create an alternate herd?

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 02:54:00 pm »
Don't axe me. I would not know. My life has always been dedicated to being part of the herd.

when everyone is doing those things to cut loose from one herd, doesn't that just create an alternate herd? [/b]

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 04:38:00 pm »
alternate herd..?

sounds like a good band name

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 05:20:00 pm »

when everyone is doing those things to cut loose from one herd, doesn't that just create an alternate herd? [/b]
you're right!  i mean, it is such a paradox...you take a look at Hot Topic, for example.  a store that is trying to help people be individual and stand out in a crowd, yet.  they market their clothes in every mall and every mass-media outlet of america.  kids are now conforming by nonconforming.  

and Jefferee Starr?  he/she/it/questionable makes me puke a little in my mouth.  i thought he was cool and interesting at first, that the makeup and photography were really just a neat and expressive art form.  but, christ, have you listened to the music that boy is producing?  and even worse, he thinks it is "hot shit."  it sounds like week-old feces!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »
most people, once they get past the age of 20 or so, begin to understand that whether you're a conformist or not depends on how you think, not how you dress.

Those that don't get this after age 20 are called "goths."
_\|/_

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 06:16:00 pm »
well duh.  isn't that common sense?

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 06:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  well duh.  isn't that common sense?
common sense is not so common, my dear.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 11:12:00 am »

sacriforce

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by clouds R²:
  Submitted for your approval
is it because she's black?
 -haired?

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »
Lesson for Murdoch: Keep the Bloggers Happy
 By JULIE BOSMAN
 Published: January 2, 2006

When Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation bought MySpace, the social-networking Web site, in July, some of its users gloomily predicted that the site would be altered to suit the company's corporate interests.

Proof for many of those people came earlier this month, when MySpace users began to notice that any references to YouTube, a video-sharing site and a competitor, were erased or blocked from appearing on My-Space. Some MySpace users also reported that when they tried to download videos from YouTube, a patch of white space appeared instead.

Ever-sensitive to corporate meddling, many MySpace users got angry. "My friends and I are trying to make the blogging community aware of a stealth censorship campaign that is being conducted by MySpace," one MySpace user, Ellis Yu, wrote to the Blog Herald, a Web site about blogs. "They are not admitting to it, and are trying to do this in secret."

Matthew McCullough, a blogger from Montclair, N.J., wrote in a Dec. 22 blog post that "if you even mention the word YouTube on your MySpace profile, it will be literally ripped out and only an empty white space will remain."

The official blog maintained by YouTube offered another explanation the next day, saying the issue was "a simple misunderstanding, and MySpace has re-enabled all YouTube embeds." A spokesman for the News Corporation did not return phone calls on Friday.

The incident underlines the peril corporations face as they buy blogs and networking sites like MySpace, which depend on the good will of their users. Mr. Murdoch paid $580 million for MySpace, a significant investment for a two-year-old Web site primarily populated by fickle teenagers and users in their 20's. Like other members of free community Web sites, MySpace users often react with indignation if they believe their content has been tampered with.

And they can always decide to leave for other networking sites. As one irate user put it in a message to MySpace members, "visit Friendster and Hi5 if you're interested in social networking sites that don't censor content and allow your YouTube video embeds." JULIE BOSMAN
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »
i just fell asleep reading this thread.

twice.

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam, forum nice guy:

Welcome back.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by sonickteam, forum nice guy:

Welcome back. [/b]
:)   thanks sir.  i was deported last month, but i am back now!!!!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
Heh... one thing about Rupert Murdoch is that while he may be sensitive to right-wing causes, he's more sensitive to the almighty dollar and keeping consumers happy.  That's why Christian fundies love Fox News, but hate Fox.
_\|/_