Author Topic: worst/scariest bar in the district  (Read 17288 times)

walkonby

worst/scariest bar in the district
« on: December 07, 2004, 11:31:00 pm »
hmmmmmmmmmmmm, had to think on this one; so many to choose from.  put if i had to put the finger down, it would have to be that one time i was with friends, sloppy drunk and walking nighttime strolls in some section, near pennsylvania and 23th, nw, and somehow we walked by this place that had a fireplace outside in the wall.  i thought that was pretty cool, so we went in.  i don't even know the real name of it; i call it the firepit.  the place is a gay hangout, but that is besides the point, because i have been to swanky gay bars that put classy hetero ones to shame.  this place was twins peaks fire walk with me, scary.  i think they even had a liquor bottle that only had an x as the label. upstairs and down, with sad, sad music playing. slaughterhouse five, one the scale of one to five, meat market that leveled on the field of los desperalos.  

anybody got anything worse?

lily1

Re: worst/scariest bar in the district
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:35:00 am »
lulu's (nothing but drunk military and the cheap girls that love them)
 rumor's (where the desperately lonely go in search of that 'special someone" for the night)
 cities (when i use to go there, you would catch multiple men blantantly slipping off their wedding rings and shoving them in their pocket. hence going to cities was a short lived event.)

Captain Jack

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 01:53:00 am »
yeah Lulus is fucking awful. I went there one time to check it out, its just dumbass GW kids, of which there are many.

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:59:00 am »
"Some section" would be Dupont Circle.  You may want to consult your Time Out DC next time you go out.

Originally posted by walkonby:
  hmmmmmmmmmmmm, had to think on this one; so many to choose from.  put if i had to put the finger down, it would have to be that one time i was with friends, sloppy drunk and walking nighttime strolls in some section, near pennsylvania and 23th, nw, and somehow we walked by this place that had a fireplace outside in the wall.  i thought that was pretty cool, so we went in.  i don't even know the real name of it; i call it the firepit.  the place is a gay hangout, but that is besides the point, because i have been to swanky gay bars that put classy hetero ones to shame.  this place was twins peaks fire walk with me, scary.  i think they even had a liquor bottle that only had an x as the label. upstairs and down, with sad, sad music playing. slaughterhouse five, one the scale of one to five, meat market that leveled on the field of los desperalos.  

anybody got anything worse?

lily1

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
and the bar in question is the fireplace, which has been on that corner for years.

Originally posted by econo:
  "Some section" would be Dupont Circle.  You may want to consult your Time Out DC next time you go out.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

jkeisenh

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:12:00 am »
Scary for me takes many meanings...
 scary clientele:
 Rhino's in Georgetown
 scary how much I end up drinking when I'm there:
 The Fox, of course
 scary how much it ends up costing:
 Brickskeller
 scary how many military types (and their corn-fed girlfriends) are there:
 Hawk and Dove on weekends.
 scary that i've actually used the women's room there:
 Dan's Cafe
 scary that they have a detox room:
 Dream
 scary how often I nearly get in fights there:
 Lucky Bar
 scary that someone would actually go there:
 Coyote Ugly
 scary that their margaritas taste like slurpees but always get me disturbingly drunk:
 Rosa Mexicana

and the list goes on....

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 10:32:00 am »
Well it wasn't in DC but College Park.  Forget the name, but it was a strip club/bar on Rte 1.  Students never went there for fear of being beaten up.  I would drive by on occasion at night and often you would see cops in the parking lot surrounding one car.  2 or 3 people got killed in it.  Hard to top that in this area that I know of.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 10:33:00 am »
scary because of a disturbing sense that something not entirely kosher is going on there:

that place between 14th and 15th on L Street (not the Post Pub).
_\|/_

jkeisenh

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  scary because of a disturbing sense that something not entirely kosher is going on there:

You mean the bar next to the Post that had a gang-related fight that involved a shooting this fall?  When a bar makes the nightly news, that's a good sign something ungood is up there...

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 10:46:00 am »
Ollie's Trolley?!  You mean they're making more than burgers?

Originally posted by Doctor Doom:

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  Ollie's Trolley?!  You mean they're making more than burgers?

[/QB][/QUOTE]

they're making burgers... with a "special" sauce.
_\|/_

Bags

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
  walking nighttime strolls in some section, near pennsylvania and 23th, nw, and somehow we walked by this place that had a fireplace outside in the wall.  i thought that was pretty cool, so we went in.  i don't even know the real name of it; i call it the firepit.  the place is a gay hangout
It is Twin Peaks scary, and one of my most renowned stories took place there.  People call it the Fireplace, it's at 22nd and P at Dupont.

redsock

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:

walking nighttime strolls in some section, near pennsylvania and 23th, nw, and somehow we walked by this place that had a fireplace outside in the wall.  i thought that was pretty cool, so we went in.  i don't even know the real name of it; i call it the firepit.  the place is a gay hangout
It is Twin Peaks scary, and one of my most renowned stories took place there.  People call it the Fireplace, it's at 22nd and P at Dupont. [/b]
I love that place, and not because I've ever been in it, but because the smell of alcochol leaks out of it all day and night. And all the nice guys whistle at me as I go by. I've also seen someone run out from the fireplace, jump in an illegaly parked car, blow some dude, and run back into the fireplace. I guess at that point you know you've been sitting at Soho for too long.

markie

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Well it wasn't in DC but College Park.  Forget the name, but it was a strip club/bar on Rte 1.  Students never went there for fear of being beaten up.  I would drive by on occasion at night and often you would see cops in the parking lot surrounding one car.  2 or 3 people got killed in it.  Hard to top that in this area that I know of.
There is a strip club in College Park?

Well a couple of people were killed outside of the Royal Palace (Restaurant and nightclub) in dupont a couple of years back. I would love to see the inside of that place, because from the outside it looks sketchy as fuck.

redsock

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
Jay's in Arlington is pretty scary, but for different reasons than the point of this thread.

Nexus Gold club is scary outside. Or so I've been told. The Common Share has always scared me for some reason.