Author Topic: Albums in 2006  (Read 38904 times)

brennser

Re: Albums in 2006
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »
Crooked Fingers singer / songwriter / frontman Eric Bachmann will be releasing his first proper solo album, To the Races, on August 22nd in North America and October 2nd in Europe / the United Kingdom, via our friends at Saddle Creek Records.

brennser

« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2006, 09:16:00 am »
In a message to their fan email list last week, the Decemberists announced the first details of their forthcoming Capitol Records debut. It's called The Crane Wife and it's coming out October 3.

Bags

« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »
Has anyone heard either of the following?

Zero 7, "The Garden"
 Cheap Trick, "Rockford"

A friend mentioned that the Cheap Trick album is getting raves as an album as good as their early classics.  I haven't read anything myself yet.

« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2006, 12:34:00 pm »
The allmusic review of the Cheap Trick album basically said it was their first good album since 1979. The losing streak has been broken.

Originally posted by Bags:
  Has anyone heard either of the following?

Zero 7, "The Garden"
 Cheap Trick, "Rockford"

A friend mentioned that the Cheap Trick album is getting raves as an album as good as their early classics.  I haven't read anything myself yet.

brennser

« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2006, 02:47:00 pm »
new Akron/Family album in Sept

dfmcpete

« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
Jose Gonzales does vocals on at least some of the new Zero 7.

Someone mentioned the newest Phoenix album.  Their use/misuse of English idioms amuses me.

New Guster soon. The  video for "One Man Wrecking Machine" is excellent. It has puppet-y things.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
the new 'mats compilation got a 5 star rating in rolling stone ... 5 stars in rolling stone is definitely a tough barrier to break, they'll give an album 3.5 stars and call it "amazing"
(o|o)

« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »
Good thing they were on a major label for part of their career. You don't get a five star review in Rolling Stone unless you're on a major label.

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  the new 'mats compilation got a 5 star rating in rolling stone ... 5 stars in rolling stone is definitely a tough barrier to break, they'll give an album 3.5 stars and call it "amazing"

ggw

« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »
Dylan Surveys 'Modern Times' On New Album

June 13, 2006, 10:10 AM ET
 Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Bob Dylan will break a five-year hiatus from the studio later this summer with his 44th album. Due Aug. 29 via Columbia, the 10-track "Modern Times" was recorded earlier this year with Dylan's touring band.

It's the follow-up to 2001's "Love and Theft," the No. 5 debut of which was Dylan's best showing on The Billboard 200 since 1979's "Slow Train Coming." The set has sold more than 757,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Modern Times" includes such tracks as "When The Deal Goes Down," "Spirit on the Water," "Thunder on the Mountain" and "Workingman's Blues," according to Columbia.

Dylan, who recently began hosting his own "Theme Time Radio Hour" on XM Satellite Radio, is not currently on the road, having wrapped a six-week North American tour last month in Hollywood, Fla.

In other Dylan news, Martin Scorsese's 2005 documentary "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" won the grand prize and the arts documentary prize last night (June 12) at the 27th Banff Rockie Awards in Banff, Alberta.

grotty

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »
Brent Best's new band (ex-SLOBBERBONE).
 The new band is basically SBone minus the tall bass player & with the addition of 2 new members. This could be good...VERY GOOD:

Hey All,

The album is done and, if I do say so myself, oh-so worth the wait. Jubilee Dive will be available on July 25th. But for those of you who need a little something to get you through the next month, here's a chance to practice your eye-hand coordination and get a download.

http://newwestrecords.com/thedrams/

Also, the tour dates are starting to solidify. The band will be hitting most of the country in the next six months, so everyone should get themselves a chance for a little Drams Live. And there are plans to send them across the ocean for a visit too. Check the website for frequent updates: www.thedrams.com.

Talk to you soon.

Amy
 (manager-type person)

« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »
Man, I really hated the Drams when I saw them earlier in the year.

sonickteam2

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
hate hate hate hate hate

grumble grumble grumble

grotty

« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
REALLY?!?

Why? Is the music that much different than SB?

'Cause that song streaming on their site sounds like the 'Bone. Just a little less country.

« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »
Can't really pinpoint it. I thought it sounded bland, generic, and uninspired. I remember thinking the music and his voice didn't really gel for me. I always preferred the more countrified stuff SB did, didn't care for the more classic rock-ish final album at all.

Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:

REALLY?!?

Why? Is the music that much different than SB?

'Cause that song streaming on their site sounds like the 'Bone. Just a little less country. [/b]

« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »
I didn't realize it was a requirement to love every album released in order to be a music fan. In my mind, if you're really a music fan, you're going to hate 95% of what is released.

Originally posted by the sonick:

hate hate hate hate hate

grumble grumble grumble [/b]