Author Topic: Albums in 2006  (Read 38916 times)

brennser

Re: Albums in 2006
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
sweet - thanks rhett

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  First single from the next Josh Rouse album. Very Joe Pernice-ish. Love the Spanish town scenes. Can't wait for my vacation in March.

http://media.nettwerk.com/mov/JoshRouse_QuietTown.mov

Shiverintheshadows

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2006, 12:33:00 pm »
No U.S. release date scheduled as of yet . . .

NEW ALBUM: 'MEDS'

On 13 March Virgin Records will release Placebo??s new album, ??Meds??. The track listing is as follows:

1. Meds
 2. Infra-red
 3. Drag
 4. Space Monkey
 5. Follow The Cops Back Home
 6. Post Blue
 7. Because I Want You
 8. Blind
 9. Pierrot The Clown
 10. Broken Promise
 11. One Of A Kind
 12. In The Cold Light Of Morning
 13. Song To Say Goodbye

??Meds?? will be Placebo??s first studio album since 2004??s ??Sleeping With Ghosts??, which went Top 10 in the UK and sold 1.4 million copies worldwide. In that time Placebo have gone from strength to strength selling out 10,000 capacity arena dates all over south and central America (Q Magazine witnessed this spectacle in Mexico, awarding it a 4-out-5 rating and describing it as ??a dancefloor rammed with screaming teenagers, wobbling under the weight of 15,000 pogoing bodies.?), and playing to a sold out Wembley Arena to celebrate the release of their Singles Collection, Once More With Feeling, where they were joined on-stage by Robert Smith for a version of The Cure??s ??Boys Don??t Cry?? and their very own, ??Without You I??m Nothing??.

Recorded over an eight week period at London??s RAK Studios, ??Meds?? marks the return of a very confident band who after 10 years together keep growing in stature. The first single from the album, ??Because I Want You??, is an urgent, impassioned plea to not give up on love; three-and-a-half minutes of joyous pop, reminiscent of the band??s early work and a strong indication of what to expect from the rest of the album. For this album the band returned to their roots, stripped away the layers and got to the heart of being a live, confident rock band. This they??ve achieved with the help of producer Dimitri Tikovoi, who insisted they had to make their first record again and try everything. As Brian put it: ??We allowed space for the songwriting to shine through rather than show up how clever we were and how good we??ve gotten at using the studio. We were going for simplicity rather than elaboration.?

The result is not just a molten, souped-up raw roar of a record, but also Placebo??s most human collection to date. Here are tales of fragile souls freaking out because they??ve forgotten to take their medication (??Meds??, which features VV of The Kills), of the blear-eyed shame of the bathroom mirror in a narcotic comedown dawn (??Cold Light Of Morning??), of ??your friends who are making extremely bad lifestyle choices? (??Song To Say Goodbye??), a beautiful, thoughtful ballad (??Follow The Cops Back Home??), and mysterious, haunting songs (??Space Monkey??). Here are stories - subtly unfolded - of loss, confusion, revenge, love, addiction and dependence.

The band will launch their world tour in S.E. Asia next month, at the Bangkok 100 Rock Festival, and arrive in the UK in April. They play Rock Am Ring/ Rock Im Park in Germany, 2nd and 4th June, co-headline the Friday night at the Isle of Wight Festival with The Prodigy on 9th June and then headline Nova Rock Festival in Austria on June 16th and Interlaken Festival, Switzerland, on June 17th. UK tour dates to be announced soon.

??Meds?? will be preceded by the single ??Because I Want You?? on 6 March.

Placebo are one of the UK??s most successful bands of the last 10 years, having sold one million albums in the UK and 6 million worldwide.

ggw

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:

Originally posted by ggw?:
  The Raconteurs (Jack White, Brendan Benson, et al...)

Two songs streaming on their website:

http://www.theraconteurs.com/  
I see that you posted this before me, ggw. Sorry for the duplication on the "Listening" thread. I've now listened to the songs and like them. Good to hear both Jack and Brendan singing together.
 I also like the retro web site. [/b]
Here is an mp3 of "Steady as She Goes"

vansmack

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2006, 11:58:00 am »
 Here is an mp3 of "Steady as She Goes"
Thanks!
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »
I am very excited to have read this just today!!!!

Guess there will be a tour and hopefully they will come to Sonar.  ;)

new Mudhoney Album

Mudhoney Expose Themselves To A Billion Suns
 Tuesday January 31, 2006 @ 06:30 PM
 By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Mudhoney  

It's one thing for a Seattle-based band to have survived the fall of the grunge scene relatively unscathed, but it's quite another for that same band to still be making well-respected garage-punk and psychedelic rock after 18 years. Mudhoney's sound hasn't changed to follow trends, and they continue their formula on their 10th album, Under A Billion Suns.

The record, which will be released on March 7 by Sub Pop, was produced by Phil Ek, Johnny Sangster and Tucker Martine. While the music made by singer Mark Arm, guitarist Steve Turner, drummer Dan Petersand Australian bassist Guy Maddison is as loud as ever, Under A Billion Suns is said to be more political in its lyrics than previous works.

Mudhoney, comprised of former members of Green River and The Melvins, were one of Sub Pop's earliest bands and helped put the fledgling Seattle label on the map. Sub Pop released their self-titled album in 1989 and Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge in 1991 before the group moved up to the majors to record four LPs for Reprise. The band returned to Sub Pop for their last album, 2002's Since We've Become Translucent.

Here are the songs you'll find Under A Billion Suns:

"Where Is The Future?"
 "It Is Us"
 "I Saw The Light"
 "Endless Yesterday"
 "Empty Shells"
 "Hard On For War"
 "A Brief Celebration Of Indifference"
 "Let's Drop In"
 "On The Move"
 "In Search Of"
 "Blindspots"

ggw

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2006, 11:31:00 am »

ggw

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2006, 10:42:00 am »
Just finished mixing the new album which is gonna be called HANG LOVE. We're pretty damn psyched on it and are even more psyched to tour the fucker but first we have to tend to the garden for a few months. You know how it is.

http://www.burningbrides.com/

Bags

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
There's a Manilow renaissance?  Oy, look what Rod Stewart started.  Though I never knew Manilow went away!  Even I admit he's no real singer, I just was young enough to fall prey to the stuff he wrote back in the day.

New CD's
 By THE NEW YORK TIMES
 Barry Manilow
 "The Greatest Songs of the Fifties"
 (Arista)

The inexplicable Barry Manilow renaissance continues on "The Greatest Songs of the Fifties," which hit the pop chart at No. 1 last week. In Mr. Manilow's 1970's heyday, no one imagined that his modest voice would give him a second career as an interpreter. But he hasn't been writing songs lately.

Like other aging pop stars, he has already made albums of Tin Pan Alley standards, with chutzpah enough to redo an album of Frank Sinatra favorites. Now he's on to the 1950's, which, some people may remember, gave birth to rock 'n' roll. Not in the Manilow universe: this is an album of ballads, all of which reached No. 1 in much better versions. Elvis Presley, the Everly Brothers, Dinah Washington, Tommy Edwards and Frankie Avalon have no worries.

The new versions orchestrate the songs as pure old-fashioned easy listening. There's no yearning, no mischief, no lust ?? just an unctuous diligence; the only dramatic tension is whether Mr. Manilow will go flat before the next note. Strings are slathered on thickly, horns are muted and any drums are a distant rustle. A listener could almost escape into the sticky-sweet perfection of the arrangements, but then along comes Mr. Manilow, right up front and earnestly trying to emote, which for him means laying on the vibrato.

He doesn't bring on guests who might outsing him except for a version of "Sincerely" with Phyllis McGuire, who sang it in 1955 with the McGuire Sisters. They were one of the white groups that covered 1950's R&B hits in blander, better-selling versions, yet Ms. McGuire still sounds friskier than he does. He is presenting the illusory 1950's of conservative mythology: placid, cozy, chaste and oblivious. Even if rock 'n' roll hadn't arrived, those years couldn't have been this dull. JON PARELES

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »
I was flipping through the channels recently, and there was Manilow doing a horrible, horrible version of some song one one of those skate with or dance with celebrity shows. Did I mention how horrible it was?

ggw

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »
Has anyone heard any of these yet?  Opinions?

The Elected -- Sun, Sun, Sun
 Clearlake -- Amber
 The Subways -- Young for Eternity
 The Minus 5 -- The Minus 5

brennser

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2006, 02:31:00 pm »
I was kind of hoping you had picked it up....

Clearlake -- Amber
 The Minus 5 -- The Minus 5
Originally posted by brennser:
  has anyone picked up the new  Clearlake album yet? Just curious....

ggw

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I was kind of hoping you had picked it up....

I will probably pick it up this week anyway.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

I've had The Subways album for a while. It has grown on me and I'm going to see them when they come. They aren't my favorite British band right now but they are still raw and interesting. I think it would add a lot if they had another band member. As for The Elected, I listed to a couple of songs on iTunes last night and liked them a lot. I'm probably going to buy the album. It struck me as full, rich and melancholic.

sonickteam2

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »

Clearlake -- Amber

i have this album and i like it a lot. I have only listened to it a couple times, but it was better than i expected.  just doesnt seem as drab as Cedars, some of the songs even rock out.  I just didnt get that with Cedars...to me , this was surpisingly good.

sonickteam2

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »
perhaps no one has mentioned, Placebo's new disc comes out in March, supposed to be very very good, and even has a song where Molko sings with Michael Stipe...should be interesting, i am pirating it as we speak, but dont worry you naysayers, i will buy it when it comes out  :)