Author Topic: Albums in 2006  (Read 38912 times)

kevhender

Re: Albums in 2006
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2006, 11:23:00 am »
Muse album details emerge

Internet rumours reveal May release
 Muse are expected to release the follow-up to 2003's 'Absolution' in May.

According to Internet rumours, the band's fourth studio album will hit the US on May 16.

'A Crying Shame' will be the first single to be lifted from the as-yet-untitled LP, Rollingstone.com reports.

However, a spokesperson for Muse has yet to confirm release details for the UK.

sonickteam2

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2006, 11:43:00 am »
YIPEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
HECK YES!!

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
Don't know if it has been posted already:

The Vines - Vision Valley due out sometime in April.  Probably no tour with Craig Nichols illness.  Two songs I have heard are good - "Gross Out" and "Don't Listen To The Radio"

ggw

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »
The Sounds have a new album coming out on 3/21

They are touring with Morningwood (ack!) in April.  No DC/Baltimore date, but there is a 3-day gap between Atlanta and Philly.

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
You can get a free one year subscription to Paste Magazine if you preorder the new Josh Rouse cd off of his website by 3/19. The bad news is that shipping and handling is $6 for the cd. on top of the $15 price.

ggw

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I was kind of hoping you had picked it up....

Originally posted by brennser:
  has anyone picked up the new  Clearlake album yet? Just curious....
[/b]
I've had it about a week now.  It's good.  It doesn't have quite the range that 'Cedars' does, but it does well staying in that comfortable middle area.  If you thought 'Cedars' was an A album, you'll probably find 'Amber' earns a B+.

jardison

« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2006, 01:57:00 pm »
Eagles of Death Metal
 TV on the Radio
 Radiohead

ggw

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2006, 04:30:00 pm »
Dylan, Springsteen Prep New CDs
 Both legends are hitting the studio, launching tours

Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are both planning new albums for 2006 -- and each will likely launch a tour as well. Dylan has just begun work on his thirty-first studio disc, and Springsteen is wrapping up his first-ever CD of cover songs, focusing on music from the repertoire of folk icon Pete Seeger.

On January 31st, Dylan arrived at the Bardavon 1869 Opera House in Poughkeepsie, New York, with his current touring band. For the next four days, according to Bardavon's executive director, Chris Silva, the band rehearsed new material. "It was experimental, all kinds of different licks," Silva told the Poughkeepsie Journal. "They would get into one thing, and they would go over it and over it. Then they would change gears."

Dylan -- who kicks off a tour on April 1st in Reno, Nevada, that will include a performance at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival later that month -- then moved the operation to Manhattan to lay down his new tunes. His previous studio album, 2001's acclaimed Love and Theft, was also cut in New York, in just two and a half weeks at Sony Music Studios, with Dylan producing under the name Jack Frost.

Meanwhile, sources familiar with the Springsteen project say that he has nearly completed his covers album, which has the working title The Seeger Sessions and will include both Seeger-penned tunes and American standards the folk patriarch helped popularize. Seeger, 86, is the author of folk classics such as "If I Had a Hammer" and "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?"

One source says that this project began in 1998, when Springsteen recorded the protest anthem "We Shall Overcome" for the Seeger tribute album Where Have All the Flowers Gone? There have been two recording sessions since, and Springsteen is likely to hit the studio once more.

On the new disc, Springsteen is backed by a small group featuring his wife, Patti Scialfa, E Street Band violinist Soozie Tyrell and other New Jersey musicians playing largely traditional folk instruments like mandolin and banjo. "The Tom Joad tour [from 1995 to 1997] helped me realize I like to play a lot of different ways," Springsteen told Rolling Stone last year. "I love playing with the E Street Band, I love playing by myself, and at some point I'll probably stumble onto something that might work for a small band." The album is due out in May, and Springsteen is planning to tour this spring, backed by the musicians who recorded the disc.

bearman🐻

« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2006, 04:32:00 pm »
Anyone know if there's a release date for the new Peaches record?

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
http://www.myspace.com/sidnsusie

MATTHEW SWEET AND SUSANNA HOFFS GET GROOVY ON NEW DUETS ALBUM FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

Under the Covers Vol. 1

New ??60s Pop Primer CD Features 15 Hand-Picked Favorites From The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Zombies, The Who, Neil Young, And More ?? In Stores April 18th

LOS ANGELES, CA ?? Two of pop music??s darlings ?? Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles - have joined voices in celebration of one of the most important eras in pop music. Featuring 15 of the duo??s favorite pop tunes from the 1960s, Under The Covers Vol. 1 combines popular hits and obscure gems from such important names in music as The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, The Who, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, The Zombies, The Mama??s And The Papas, The Left Banke, The Bee Gees, The Marmalade, Fairport Convention, Love, The Stone Poneys, and The Velvet Underground. Sweet and Hoffs, each with a stunning and highly distinguishable voice of their own, mingle melodies and tones for new, unique harmonies that truly reflect the sounds of the time. Shout! Factory will release Under The Covers Vol. 1 on April 18th

Matthew ??Sid? Sweet and Susanna ??Susie? Hoffs have always been fans of each other??s work, performing guest vocals at each others concerts a few times throughout the years, and collaborating with comedian Mike Myers as members of Austin Powers?? on-screen band Ming Tea in Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery and Austin Powers in Goldmember. Now Sweet and Hoffs explore a classic era of pop music together for the first time, on Under The Covers. The down to earth feel of the record reflects the ease of the sessions; recorded entirely at Sweet??s home facility, Lolina Green, the work was a true labor of love, done, as they both put it, ??purely for the fun of it!? The newly formed duo wanted to start with a few of their favorite, though lesser known tracks: ??She May Call You Up Tonight? by ??60s baroque rock band The Left Banke, ??The Warmth Of The Sun? by The Beach Boys, and the melancholy ballad ??Who Knows Where The Time Goes?? by British folk-rock group Fairport Convention, among others. They also threw in a few more well-known songs from the era; Neil Young??s ??Cinnamon Girl,? Pete Townsend??s ??The Kids Are Alright,? and John Phillips?? ??Monday, Monday? were on the short list. Sweet and Hoffs, both Lou Reed fans, also added ??Sunday Morning? from The Velvet Underground & Nico. Of course no ??60 music collection would be complete without a selection from The Beatles, so the Sweet/Hoffs consensus was ??And Your Bird Can Sing? from Revolver. And, one exception to the rule requires mentioning; the Bee Gee??s ??Run To Me,? actually came out in 1971.

A ??60s pop primer of sorts, Under The Covers Vol. 1??s 15 songs span a wide range of genres ?? from rock to folk to pop ?? but all have that unmistakable ??60s vibe. It??s obvious that Sweet and Hoffs have put their own stamp on these covers, individually and collectively, but have done so with a sense of respect and admiration for the original versions and composers. On Under The Covers Vol. 1 Sweet and Hoffs pay homage to arguably the most important decade in pop music by inserting their own musical personalities and unique harmonies for a fresh and new sound. Dig it.

brennser

« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
Kristin Hersh will be releasing a new solo album this year

ggw

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2006, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
 Ted Leo
Demos from new album

brennser

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
As announced on their website, Scotland's Camera Obscura have a new album coming this summer. It's called Let's Get Out Of This Country and contains echoes of The Ronettes, the breezy 60's AM pop sounds of The Association and even Lloyd Cole in the mix. In fact, here's a new song, clearly inspired by Mr. Heartbreaker himself. I guarantee that you will be chained to this album when it comes out.

And Mr Cole will also be releasing an album this year (have I posted this already?)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »
Two more Dinosaur Jr. albums get reissued PLUS a live set from 93. Cool!

Billboard.com

February 28, 2006, 10:35 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
 Rhino has set a May 16 release date for expanded reissues of Dinosaur Jr.'s first two major-label albums, 1991's "Green Mind" and 1993's "Where You Been," Billboard.com has learned. The same day, the label will also issue "Live at CBGB: The First Acoustic Show," chronicling a 1993 performance by vocalist/guitarist J Mascis at the legendary New York venue.

Having reached a new level of success with the 1988 album "Bug" and its single "Freak Scene," "Green Mind" ushered Dinosaur Jr. up from the indie rock ranks. The single "The Wagon" became the group's first entry on Billboard's Modern Rock chart, peaking at No. 22.

This new edition is expanded with the B-sides "Turnip Farm" and "Forget It," plus a cover of the Flying Burrito Brothers' "Hot Burrito #2" with backing vocals by actor Matt Dillon

Dinosaur Jr.'s next album, "Where You Been," is its best-seller, having shifted more than 256,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set spawned the enduring Modern Rock Hit "Start Choppin" (No. 4). It is expanded here with an unreleased live take on "Hide" recorded by late BBC Radio icon John Peel, an alternate version of "Keeblin'" and a 10-minute live rendition of "What Else Is New."

As for the acoustic album, 10 of its 12 tracks have never been released. Mascis runs through familiar cuts like "Thumb," "Flying Cloud" and "Get Me" while also digging into the band's back catalog for early favorites like "Repulsion" and "Quest." The set will be limited to 5,000 copies and sold only at select independent music retailers.

After reuniting in 2005, Dinosaur Jr.'s original lineup (Mascis, bassist Lou Barlow, drummer Murph) will be back on the road this spring for a three-week tour that kicks off March 29 in Dallas.