Author Topic: What was your first concert?  (Read 9222 times)

ggw

Re: What was your first concert?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 10:54:00 am »
The Cars with Wang Chung -- Merriweather 1983(?)

Bags

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 11:43:00 am »
Hmm, what a great topic.    ;)

Samantha

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
coldplay  :p  I was 14

redsock

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2003, 12:44:00 pm »
Brian Adams with Mr. Big at the Providence Civic Center in 1992. No cool parents or older siblings so I had to drive before i could see a show. Yes, sadly enough I picked that one.

I did go to the Gand Old Opery twice with my parents before that, and got to meet Bill Monroe once. In retrospect, I prolly should have enjoyed that a little more than I did.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »
morrissey. . halloween 1991 at shoreline ampitheatre
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »
rolling stones steel wheels tour, three rivers stadium '89
o/\o

Guiny

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »
Madonna with Level 42 at Foxboro Stadium i believe in 1987. My friend won two tickets over the radio. My first concert by choice was Tesla and Great White at the Cow Palace in Sacramento in 1989. Thats when they were filming the video to "Love Song"

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by zonapunk:
  At the very tender age of 13, my first concert was the Grateful Dead in May 1977 at the Baltimore Civic Center.
You saw the Dead in May of '77?  Damn .  You win!  Even among the pickiest of deadheads this is considered one of the greatest months of Dead shows ever.

redsock

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Guiny:
  Madonna with Level 42 at Foxboro Stadium i believe in 1987. My friend won two tickets over the radio. My first concert by choice was Tesla and Great White at the Cow Palace in Sacramento in 1989. Thats when they were filming the video to "Love Song"
Wow, suddenly I don't feel so bad about my first show.

mankie

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Wow, suddenly I don't feel so bad about my first show. [/b]
Why not?

mankie

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2003, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Skeeter:

At the very tender age of 13, my first concert was the Grateful Dead in May 1977 at the Baltimore Civic Center.
You saw the Dead in May of '77?  Damn .  You win!  Even among the pickiest of deadheads this is considered one of the greatest months of Dead shows ever. [/b]
What constitutes a good Grateful Dead show from a bad one?

Sir HC

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2003, 02:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by Skeeter:

You saw the Dead in May of '77?  Damn .  You win!  Even among the pickiest of deadheads this is considered one of the greatest months of Dead shows ever. [/b]
What constitutes a good Grateful Dead show from a bad one? [/b]
From the ones that I saw (refuse to use present tense as the new band can not be the dead in my opinion) I would say first flow, song choice, and speed of play.  The last is important as some shows they would drag 3 songs for 30 minutes each going no where with the noodling.  Others, they would do a lot more songs that worked, bridged well from one to the next, and were fun to listen to.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2003, 02:28:00 pm »
the brain is bit blurry as to what my first "proper" show was but for some embarrasing reason Chicago sticks in my head... i'll say that Devo was an early show i was really excited to see.  most of early concerts was my going with my dad to see several jazz legends like, miles davis, dexter gordon, stan getz, sarah vaughn, ella fitzgerald...
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2003, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  most of early concerts was my going with my dad to see several jazz legends like, miles davis, dexter gordon, stan getz, sarah vaughn, ella fitzgerald...
Holy crap, you saw some absolute legends.  I'd kill to see Stan Getz, but Ella....I can't even fathom.  Very very cool.  Did you grow up around here?  (I don't think those folks ever made it to St. Pete...we got Vic Damone instead)

redsock

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2003, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by redsock:

Wow, suddenly I don't feel so bad about my first show. [/b]
Why not? [/b]
Well, Bryan Adams is bad, but at least he has some 80's schtick and sentimental value. While I did love Tesla's "Love song" when it came out, neither Tesla or Great White can claim to be anything but 80's hair-metal. Which is fine, but they are on a lower tier of embarrasment than Bryan Adams. That's what I think anyway.