Author Topic: What was your first concert?  (Read 9216 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What was your first concert?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2003, 02:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Holy crap, you saw some absolute legends.  I'd kill to see Stan Getz, but Ella....I can't even fathom.  Very very cool.  Did you grow up around here?  (I don't think those folks ever made it to St. Pete...we got Vic Damone instead)
nope grew up in detroit... the ann arbor jazz and blues festival always had great lineups as well as the early montreaux-detroit festivals.  one of my most memorable shows was seeing sun ra in this small club in detroit... the heat was on full blast and it was packed with people and just insane musically.  saw dizzy gillespie several times as well.
T.Rex

tooms

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2003, 03:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by Skeeter:

Originally posted by zonapunk:
  At the very tender age of 13, my first concert was the Grateful Dead in May 1977 at the Baltimore Civic Center.
You saw the Dead in May of '77?  Damn .  You win!  Even among the pickiest of deadheads this is considered one of the greatest months of Dead shows ever. [/b]
What constitutes a good Grateful Dead show from a bad one? [/b]
From the ones that I saw (refuse to use present tense as the new band can not be the dead in my opinion) I would say first flow, song choice, and speed of play.  The last is important as some shows they would drag 3 songs for 30 minutes each going no where with the noodling.  Others, they would do a lot more songs that worked, bridged well from one to the next, and were fun to listen to. [/b]
I pretty much agree with that.  I was big Deadhead in the day, saw 70(!) shows over ten years---i generally didn't like it as much when they meandered a lot.  But, of course, it varied with the Dead---sometimes they were Ok, sometimes they were the greatest band on the planet.  That was why it was fun to see them, they took chances, which many bands won't do.

tooms

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Hmm, what a great topic.     ;)  
HA! Love the fashion choice!

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
My very first concert was a WPGC "Toys For Tots" show at the Capital Centre 12/10/78.  It featured Dr. Hook, Firefall, Pablo Cruise and The Atlanta Rhythm Section.   Ugh.

My first _real_ concert, however, was 7/ 7/79 - The hottest band in the world.....KISS!!!

My SO loves playing this game.  His first show was none other than Elvis Presley.

mankie

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2003, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by tooms:

Originally posted by zonapunk:
  At the very tender age of 13, my first concert was the Grateful Dead in May 1977 at the Baltimore Civic Center.
You saw the Dead in May of '77?  Damn .  You win!  Even among the pickiest of deadheads this is considered one of the greatest months of Dead shows ever. [/b]
What constitutes a good Grateful Dead show from a bad one? [/b]
From the ones that I saw (refuse to use present tense as the new band can not be the dead in my opinion) I would say first flow, song choice, and speed of play.  The last is important as some shows they would drag 3 songs for 30 minutes each going no where with the noodling.  Others, they would do a lot more songs that worked, bridged well from one to the next, and were fun to listen to. [/b]
I pretty much agree with that.  I was big Deadhead in the day, saw 70(!) shows over ten years---i generally didn't like it as much when they meandered a lot.  But, of course, it varied with the Dead---sometimes they were Ok, sometimes they were the greatest band on the planet.  That was why it was fun to see them, they took chances, which many bands won't do. [/b]
I would imagine at a Dead show they could've put the Wiggles up on stage and the stoners wouldn't know any difference, with their arms outstretched in the air with the fist clenched apart from the index and pinkie finger sticking up while you all yell, "WHOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. GERRY RAWWWWWWKS" while your equally stoned girlfriend dances as if having a epilectic fit with those unrestrained nasty hippy titties flopping around all over the place.

Am I wrong?  ;)

Sir HC

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
Yes, you are wrong.  They actually know all the songs from the dead repetoire (over 120 if I remember correctly).  A friend from college was really into the dead and didn't do drugs.  He was a jazz musician and really liked their improvisational skills.  When the band would do 2 notes of some songs the crowd would cheer knowing what song was coming up.  I have seen shows where the fans don't get the songs until the chorus!

Also the dead are responsible for some major advancements in live and studio sound.  Alembic, Meyer Sound, and some others that I forget all are associated with the band.  They got the 3rd 16 track recorder ever made.  Unfortunately as Jerry's junk habit grew, you would swear he was going to nod off on stage.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2003, 03:40:00 pm »

I would imagine at a Dead show they could've put the Wiggles up on stage and the stoners wouldn't know any difference

Hey pal, watch it with those Wiggles cracks. I've got 10th row seats for their show at the MCI Center tonight.  I heard last night they did a 40+ minute version of "Drums in Space".  Awsome.  Just awsome.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2003, 03:57:00 pm »
The Area:One tour at Merriweather in 2000 or 2001. It was pretty good, especially the roots, but I left after Incubus because I threw up.  :)

mankie

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:

I would imagine at a Dead show they could've put the Wiggles up on stage and the stoners wouldn't know any difference

Hey pal, watch it with those Wiggles cracks. I've got 10th row seats for their show at the MCI Center tonight.  I heard last night they did a 40+ minute version of "Drums in Space".  Awsome.  Just awsome. [/b]
I heard the encore is a version of "Wheels on the bus" that is nothing short of religous! Try to stay sober so you'll remember it.

mankie

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2003, 04:03:00 pm »
  Yes, you are wrong.  They actually know all the songs from the dead repetoire (over 120 if I remember correctly).  A friend from college was really into the dead and didn't do drugs.  He was a jazz musician and really liked their improvisational skills.  When the band would do 2 notes of some songs the crowd would cheer knowing what song was coming up.  I have seen shows where the fans don't get the songs until the chorus!

Also the dead are responsible for some major advancements in live and studio sound.  Alembic, Meyer Sound, and some others that I forget all are associated with the band.  They got the 3rd 16 track recorder ever made.  Unfortunately as Jerry's junk habit grew, you would swear he was going to nod off on stage.
Thanks for the information, although not really needed because I was only joking...the Dead are not my cuppa but they must have something very special or wouldn't have the huge loyal following that they have.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2003, 04:10:00 pm »

Hey pal, watch it with those Wiggles cracks. I've got 10th row seats for their show at the MCI Center tonight.  I heard last night they did a 40+ minute version of "Drums in Space".  Awsome.  Just awsome. [/b]
I heard the encore is a version of "Wheels on the bus" that is nothing short of religous! Try to stay sober so you'll remember it. [/b]
I used to dose at all the Wiggles shows but stopped during the Summer '97 tour.  Now I remember every sublime detail of every show.  I'll post the setlist tomorrow.

jakez468

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2003, 05:58:00 pm »
1)STP w/Local H
 2)Lemon Heads + Cracker
 1st @ 930 was Save Ferris...ehh

mankie

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »

I heard the encore is a version of "Wheels on the bus" that is nothing short of religous! Try to stay sober so you'll remember it. [/b]
I used to dose at all the Wiggles shows but stopped during the Summer '97 tour.  Now I remember every sublime detail of every show.  I'll post the setlist tomorrow. [/b]
If you can, rip the setlist from the stage and I have "cash and prizes".."big cash" if the singer has puked on it!

tooms

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2003, 07:43:00 pm »
  My very first concert was a WPGC "Toys For Tots" show at the Capital Centre 12/10/78.  It featured Dr. Hook, Firefall, Pablo Cruise and The Atlanta Rhythm Section.   Ugh.

My first _real_ concert, however, was 7/ 7/79 - The hottest band in the world.....KISS!!!

My SO loves playing this game.  His first show was none other than Elvis Presley.
Some good first concerts!  When did the SO see Elvis?

SPARX

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2003, 07:54:00 pm »
I was 14,band was Kiss right before Dressed to Kill came out although they were playing songs from it live.I got to take a bus to Johnstown War Memorial(glorified skating rink)for the show.Back when you could still smoke and drink on the bus, rather you were old enough or not was irrelevant.