Author Topic: The Fire Theft  (Read 3945 times)

manimtired

The Fire Theft
« on: September 24, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
Has anyone heard their album yet? Ive heard mixed reviews...

Re: The Fire Theft
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
Where did you hear the reviews? Are people walking around talking about them?

My dead granny told me they were swell...

redsock

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 12:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Where did you hear the reviews? Are people walking around talking about them?

My dead granny told me they were swell...
Alright, a little harsh there, don't you think?Kinda funny, but still harsh.

manimtired

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »
thanks faggot!!

mankie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 12:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  thanks faggot!!
...........and Rhett makes yet another new best friend!

redsock

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 12:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  thanks faggot!!
speaking of kinda harsh, geesh...at least Rhett was funny. Perhaps we all take ourselves just a tad too seriously on this board. Can we at least keep derogatory name calling to a classy minimum. For example, "Mankie, stop ragging on the name of my girlfriend's band, you ignorant twat". See, now that's classy.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 12:42:00 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with the name "Exit Clov" One could do a helluva lot worse naming a band...plenty of 80's British bands did...

markie

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 12:46:00 pm »
Exit Clov is a bit pretentious...... makes me think their music will be absurdist and about as much fun as wathing a game of chess.

chknfngrs

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
original intent: fire theft

having heard nothing from them but plenty from SDRE I'd expect the show attendance to be...low? Also would presume the songs to be guitar heavy.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
it aint half as pretentious as "cooper temple clause". or "my name is kloot"

ggw

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 12:52:00 pm »
Is the "o" in "Clov" long or short?

markie

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  it aint half as pretentious as "cooper temple clause". or "my name is kloot"
Wy not demonstrate your intellect by telling us where those names originate, I have no idea.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 01:06:00 pm »
"My Name is Kloot" must come from that Jane Fonda movie.

markie

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2003, 01:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw?:
  "My Name is Kloot" must come from that Jane Fonda movie.
along with Duran Duran?

jadetree

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2003, 01:08:00 pm »
From DrownedinSound.com:

The Fire Theft is Jeremy Enigk, William Goldsmith and Nate Mendel (still of the Foo Fighters of course), but ??The Fire Theft?? isn??t another ??Diary?? ?? this is about as far away from Sunny Day Real Estate as you could get without having the trio resort to anti-folk. Enigk??s vocals remain the same ?? sky-high but dripping with more passion than any of the emo bands that SDRE spawned could ever hope for ?? but musically ??The Fire Theft?? is awash with shades of Pink Floyd, The Beach Boys (seriously!), and Jane??s Addiction.

Basically it??s perfect pop-rock, albeit coupled with a level of prog inflences. The likes of ??Oceans Apart?? and ??Carry You?? are a little too prog for some tastes, but the stirring strings at the end of the latter track will soon have you forgiving Enigk and co for their obvious love of seventies pomp-rock, as will the piano-led outro to final track ??Sinatra??. Elsewhere, ??Summertime?? is as perfect as it??s title suggests ?? shimmering Brian Wilson-like pop that tugs lightly at the heart without ever quite going for the kill. Some early songs bear an unfortunate resemblance to Savage Garden, but this can be overlooked as a fault; the band are clearly not trying to hide their pop aspirations, and Savage Garden were a decent enough pop act, even if only to your mum (and mum knows best, by the way).

Enigk remarked recently that ??The Fire Theft?? is ??really dark?, but it??s full of more hope than any other debut this reviewer has heard in some time. Yes, this is partially due to the trio??s obvious experience, but it??s also down to the fact that you simply won??t hear another record like this all year ?? classic pop with a killer twist. Difficult to digest at first it may be, especially for hardcore SDRE fans, but given time you??ll find ??The Fire Theft?? a most delectable dish.