Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10612877 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #16620 on: March 13, 2009, 11:06:53 am »
U'm can you guys move this NIN talk to the appropriate thread? I keep clicking on this hoping for some good just announced announcement, and all i get is this!

yeah, that's a fair request, although we were answering a question related to a just-announced presale so it wasn't out of place here IMO.

i wonder if you'd feel the same if we were answering questions about an Old'97s presale :P
<sig>

« Reply #16621 on: March 13, 2009, 11:10:44 am »
Haha. I don't think the Old 97's would need a pre-sale.

U'm can you guys move this NIN talk to the appropriate thread? I keep clicking on this hoping for some good just announced announcement, and all i get is this!

yeah, that's a fair request, although we were answering a question related to a just-announced presale so it wasn't out of place here IMO.

i wonder if you'd feel the same if we were answering questions about an Old'97s presale :P

nkotb

« Reply #16622 on: March 13, 2009, 11:17:08 am »
But if there is, let me know.  It's been a few years since I've seen them!

Haha. I don't think the Old 97's would need a pre-sale.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #16623 on: March 13, 2009, 02:49:45 pm »
Screen Vinyl Image (DC)
Ports Of Call (Philly)
Luxa (NYC)

Thursday April 9th
Velvet Lounge

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16624 on: March 13, 2009, 02:50:34 pm »
St. Vincent
5/22
Black Cat
(_|_)

BaDaBen

Beirut Show and Ticketmaster Hell
« Reply #16625 on: March 13, 2009, 03:46:37 pm »
Hey All,

My name is Ben and I'm Beirut's manager.  I'm sorry to be late on this, but I just found the discussion on here from last week regarding the Synagogue show.  Apparently, some people were calling the box office there and being told the Synagogue was out of its "allotment" and they should call Ticketmaster instead.  That immediately got me worried - visions of Bruce Springsteen tickets being sent to ticket merchants, which are owned by crap companies that would only be defended by the likes of Billy Corrigan danced in my head like...like Billy Corrigan dancing - not a good image.

I inquired, pretty pissed off about this happening, and the LiveNation promoter of the show figured out where the confusion lay (with the Synagogue box office) and corrected it.  So, from now on, for any show that happens there, they will either tell you they (a) have tickets, (b) are out tickets for the moment but should be getting more in very soon (because the system of how they get the tickets from LiveNation is an antiquated and confusing process that results in them sometimes running out of their batch, even though more are available), or (c) that the show is sold out and there's no way of getting tickets.  Referring people to TicketMaster, in my view, is shady, considering all the crap extra charges they add on.  So, at least some good came out of this for everyone going to shows in DC in the future.

Of course, the response to this could be "Why did you work with LiveNation in the first place?"  Fact is, however a piece of evil dung I find that company to be, they managed in a few cities to hire great people with independent promotion backgrounds to do shows there, and DC happens to be one of them (this is also true in Philadelphia and Los Angeles).  I'd rather work with a proven great person who will do a fantastic job leading up to, and the day of, the show than leave something like that to chance.  Do I support the TicketMaster LiveNation merger? No way in hell.  Would I shed a single solitary tear if the company went down in flames?  Nope, because I know the talented promoters involved would do just fine on their own.

Our plan from the start was to encourage people to buy tickets to this show directly from the box office, and to think that TicketMaster is benefiting off people's desire to see the show is a bummer.  Hence the reason the above situation got us alarmed.

Please contact me in the future if anything Beirut-related seems strange or suspect.  Watchdogs unite!

-ben goldberg
ba da bing
ben@badabingrecords.com

vansmack

« Reply #16626 on: March 13, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
  My name is Ben and I'm Beirut's manager. 

This needs it's own thread.

Thank you for taking the time to come on here and give us the low down.  Your brutal honesty is much appreciated.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16627 on: March 13, 2009, 03:56:43 pm »
Screen Vinyl Image (DC)
Ports Of Call (Philly)
Luxa (NYC)

Thursday April 9th
Velvet Lounge

awesome!  i'm going to try catching this tour in philly (4/10) or NYC (4/12 - no PoC, tho).

SVI = Apr 24 @ Velvet Lounge DNA Test Fest, too.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16628 on: March 13, 2009, 04:00:10 pm »
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #16629 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:35 pm »
Screen Vinyl Image (DC)
Ports Of Call (Philly)
Luxa (NYC)

Thursday April 9th
Velvet Lounge

awesome!  i'm going to try catching this tour in philly (4/10) or NYC (4/12 - no PoC, tho).

SVI = Apr 24 @ Velvet Lounge DNA Test Fest, too.

Guess I should have posted the other shows too instead of just extracting the DC one. But at least you know about it.

Ports Of Call are from Philly and play around occasionally so you should get other chances. Good band. Was very sorry I had to miss them when they played Baltimore last July.

killsaly

« Reply #16630 on: March 13, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »
Screen Vinyl Image (DC)
Ports Of Call (Philly)
Luxa (NYC)

Thursday April 9th
Velvet Lounge
nice.

azaghal1981

« Reply #16631 on: March 14, 2009, 03:47:05 pm »
Magik Markers opening for Ghost.

This has me strongly considering parting with my AC Ottobar tickets.
Especially if Ben Chasny is still touring with them.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #16632 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:47 pm »
RE: that private farm show:
Summer Solstice PROJEKT Arts Festival JUNE 18-21 in Harmony, MD

featuring: SHPONGLE DJ SET, SKREAM, BROTHERS PAST, THE EGG, ORCHARD LOUNGE, SUB SWARA, JOE NICE, DAMN RIGHT!, SONKIN, WITH MANY MORE TBA SOON!

THREE DAY MUSIC FESTIVAL A PICTURESQUE PRIVATE FARM JUST OUTSIDE BALTIMORE
Tickets Available at:
ihnkenink.com
I'd like to hear Skream spin but would rather it be in a club that has a good pummeling sound system.

For sweetcell and most likely only sweetcell:
Shpongle
5/2
Irving Plaza
$31.50

If this is a full band set, I guess it's justifiable while still high but if Simon thinks a significant amount of people will pay that much for a dj set, all that dmt has finally warped his brain beyond repair.

But if it is indeed a full band set, hey seth...

first off, i'm going to try my darnest to keep calm.  the temptation to post a million "ZOMGz!!!" right now is something awful. 

second, where did you get this info azaghal?  it's not on twisted's website (the record label), nor any of my usual psytrance/downtempo info sources.  nice pull.  EDIT: http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/404786, tickets on sale now, just snagged 2.

third, about DJ vs full band: at $31, i thought this would be a DJ set - high, but it's NYC, plus simon can command that.  i paid $25 this summer to hear him spin a 4-hour shpongle + hallucinogen set, and i'd assume that a full band would be a lot more expensive to pull off.  BUT, looking at the price they're charging for the 30 Oct'09 show in london which is definitely full band (new album launch) - 26 GBP, or 37 USD - and $31 seems a little low but not out of the ballpark.  so, who knows and either way i'm there.

In case some else cares... i'm dying to fly out for this:
      Shpongle Live in Concert (Album Launch for "Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland")
      Fri, Oct 30, 2009
      The Roundhouse, London, United Kingdom
(they did a full-band show there this past halloween, which looked great.  plus the freaks partied on for days afterwards :D)

for a slightly closer-to-home taste of twisted, let's not forget:
      Ott (live)
      Spring Equinox Celebration @ Sonar, Baltimore, MD, United States
      Fri, Mar 20, 2009

and speaking of closer to home, i wonder what the deal is for this gig:
      Simon Posford (Shpongle DJ Set)
      Sat, Jun 20, 2009
      Private Farm, Harmony, MD, United States
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16633 on: March 15, 2009, 09:57:54 pm »
I'd like to hear Skream spin but would rather it be in a club that has a good pummeling sound system.

cool, thanks for the info about the "private" event. 

FYI, the best sound systems i've ever heard were set up outside, for the explicit purpose of playing EDM.  if this is a serious organization, "pummeling" shouldn't be a problem.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16634 on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:05 am »
The Dirty Projectors opening for both TV on the Radio shows!!!

Also:

6/6/09  RUFUSTIVAL 2009 with Dirty Projectors, A Place to Bury Strangers
Metro Gallery, Baltimore
(don't know who else will be on the bill...)
(_|_)