Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10616992 times)

El Jefe Design

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #16740 on: March 25, 2009, 08:59:17 am »
I hate when the guys on my iPod start beating up their girlfriends.
Good thing you don't listen to Burzum.

imbecile

« Reply #16741 on: March 25, 2009, 08:59:53 am »
I hate when the guys on my iPod start beating up their girlfriends. It?s not like I boycott their music: I?ve enjoyed the songs of many a criminal, some of whom have probably knocked around a few ladies. But when it happens in real time, I?m out. This small trend started early in 2008. I was reading Elyse Sewell?s blog?if you watched the first season of America?s Next Top Model, you?d recognize Elyse, and maybe remember that she dated a guy named Marty. Martin Crandall plays keyboard for the Shins, and apparently he roughed Elyse up and she wrote about it. Next thing I knew, I couldn?t lose myself in ?Turn On Me? or ?Sea Legs? or ?Australia? the way I could before. I felt vaguely embarrassed when they popped up on shuffle, and yearned for more innocent times. (It was also weird to think about a sweet-looking hipster like Crandall being a violent guy).
The Shins aren?t alone, of course. You may have heard about a young singer named Christopher Brown who was recently charged with felony accounts of assault after beating up one Rihanna. The duet Brown sang with Jordin Sparks, ?No Air,? has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and part of what I loved was how unabashedly over-the-top teenagery it was. Then my view of Brown changed. I like my singing teenagers overwrought and funny, not overwrought and violent. ?No Air? is no longer fun to listen to, and the title has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the intrusion on the Just Announced Thread.. I'll make it brief.

I wasn't there, but I hardly think this qualifies him as a girlfriend beater.  Martin and Elyse both pressed assault charges on each other, they were both eventually dropped.  Sounds to me like they just got in an argument and got in a fight over it.  To press assault charges you need some kind of physical proof for them to stick.. neither did.  As far as I've heard this is an isolated incident which could or could not have actually even happened.

I've been in dozens, if not hundreds of fights, I'd hardly call myself violent.  I grew up in Richmond, people fight, it happens, it's really not that big of deal.  I've never even come remotely close to angrily touching/hitting/anything a girlfriend of mine or my current fiancee.  It's not to say that I haven't been highly pissed off at them, that also just happens when you care that much about someone.  So yeah, all we actually know is, they got pissed off at each other and a blog post was made.  It sucks that was enough to make you not enjoy them anymore.  Additionally, he just a keyboard player.. it's not like he's a real band member anyway, ohhhhhh.

Chulahoma

« Reply #16742 on: March 25, 2009, 09:12:11 am »
on sale friday, march 27th

Passion Pit
June 9
Black Cat

« Reply #16743 on: March 25, 2009, 09:14:50 am »
I should clarify that I nicked that rant from someone's blog. Those are not my words.

The facts that they've always been a mediocre band, and that their last album was only so-so would be enough to prevent me from paying more than 10 bucks to see them. Plus, regardless of whether he beat up his girlfriend, he's still an annoying douche onstage, detracting from their live show with his insipid banter. They should have canned his ass long ago anyway.

« Reply #16744 on: March 25, 2009, 09:16:01 am »
You've been in hundreds of fights? You sound like a real winner. Or a professional wrestler.  :D

I hate when the guys on my iPod start beating up their girlfriends. It?s not like I boycott their music: I?ve enjoyed the songs of many a criminal, some of whom have probably knocked around a few ladies. But when it happens in real time, I?m out. This small trend started early in 2008. I was reading Elyse Sewell?s blog?if you watched the first season of America?s Next Top Model, you?d recognize Elyse, and maybe remember that she dated a guy named Marty. Martin Crandall plays keyboard for the Shins, and apparently he roughed Elyse up and she wrote about it. Next thing I knew, I couldn?t lose myself in ?Turn On Me? or ?Sea Legs? or ?Australia? the way I could before. I felt vaguely embarrassed when they popped up on shuffle, and yearned for more innocent times. (It was also weird to think about a sweet-looking hipster like Crandall being a violent guy).
The Shins aren?t alone, of course. You may have heard about a young singer named Christopher Brown who was recently charged with felony accounts of assault after beating up one Rihanna. The duet Brown sang with Jordin Sparks, ?No Air,? has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and part of what I loved was how unabashedly over-the-top teenagery it was. Then my view of Brown changed. I like my singing teenagers overwrought and funny, not overwrought and violent. ?No Air? is no longer fun to listen to, and the title has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the intrusion on the Just Announced Thread.. I'll make it brief.

I wasn't there, but I hardly think this qualifies him as a girlfriend beater.  Martin and Elyse both pressed assault charges on each other, they were both eventually dropped.  Sounds to me like they just got in an argument and got in a fight over it.  To press assault charges you need some kind of physical proof for them to stick.. neither did.  As far as I've heard this is an isolated incident which could or could not have actually even happened.

I've been in dozens, if not hundreds of fights, I'd hardly call myself violent.  I grew up in Richmond, people fight, it happens, it's really not that big of deal.  I've never even come remotely close to angrily touching/hitting/anything a girlfriend of mine or my current fiancee.  It's not to say that I haven't been highly pissed off at them, that also just happens when you care that much about someone.  So yeah, all we actually know is, they got pissed off at each other and a blog post was made.  It sucks that was enough to make you not enjoy them anymore.  Additionally, he just a keyboard player.. it's not like he's a real band member anyway, ohhhhhh.

azaghal1981

« Reply #16745 on: March 25, 2009, 09:37:15 am »
POTW

احمد

wml7

« Reply #16746 on: March 25, 2009, 09:38:24 am »
is it sold out yet?

« Reply #16747 on: March 25, 2009, 09:39:54 am »
I think people would have to know what it means for it to be a POTW.

POTW

imbecile

« Reply #16748 on: March 25, 2009, 09:43:19 am »
..Moved to the Shins thread.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:49:05 am by imbecile »

azaghal1981

« Reply #16749 on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:31 am »
I guess you don't know your Norwegian black metal. :P

Burzum is the musical project by Varg Vikernes (under the pseudonym "Count Grishnackh"). It began during 1991 in Bergen, Norway and quickly became prominent within the early Norwegian black metal scene. During 1992 and 1993, Burzum recorded four albums; however, Vikernes was convicted and imprisoned for the murder of guitarist Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth and the arson of several churches. While imprisoned, Vikernes had recorded two albums in a completely dark ambient style.

I think people would have to know what it means for it to be a POTW.

POTW

احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #16750 on: March 25, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »
Bonnaroo Additions:
Jimmy Fallon
Public Enemy
Triumph the Insult Dog Presents Bonnapoo 2009
An Evening (or Afternoon) with the Daily Show featuring John Oliver, Rob Riggle & Rory Albanese
Ani Difranco
Michael Ian Black & Michael Showalter
Aziz Ansari
Amadou & Mariam
Shadows Fall
Tony Rice Unit
High On Fire
Kristen Schaal
Passion Pit
Arj Barker
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Todd Barry
Wailing Souls
Heartless I HAVE NO DADDY
Alejandro Escovedo
The Itals
Wayne Federman
MURS
Nick Thune
Nick Kroll
White Rabbits
Janelle Monáe
Hockey
Kurt Braunohler
Amy Schumer
Pretty Lights
Kumail Nanjiani
Pete Holmes

احمد

walkonby

« Reply #16751 on: March 25, 2009, 04:05:32 pm »
prodigy question for the prodigy knowledgers.  i have a seizure disorder.  too many flashy lights at shows tend to be a problem for me, where i just have to either shut my eyes or look down during the worst parts.  i love me some prodigy . . . but am worried that if i get a ticket for the show, there will be insane flashy lights that just will be too much for me.  true or not?  thank you.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16752 on: March 25, 2009, 04:19:10 pm »
the prodigy definitely used a lot of heavy strobes... back in the 90's.  who knows what they're in to these days.  i'll be seeing them tomorrow night in NYC, i'll let you know how stroberific the show is. 

suggestion: go to youtube and search for "the prodigy live 2009".

alternately, pull a The Director and wear your shades inside.  zero chance you'll look as cool, tho.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #16753 on: March 25, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »
the prodigy definitely used a lot of heavy strobes... back in the 90's.  who knows what they're in to these days.  i'll be seeing them tomorrow night in NYC, i'll let you know how stroberific the show is. 

suggestion: go to youtube and search for "the prodigy live 2009".

alternately, pull a The Director and wear your shades inside.  zero chance you'll look as cool, tho.

man, his shades are cool.  they do define him and leave an impression of "who is that?" to the people who see him .  last time i met him, i felt they were a bit bono-ish, though.  i was going to attempt to wear my purple sunglasses (the ones beck wore in the loser video) but wasn't sure if they would help.  i look forward to your insight, sweetcell!

killsaly

« Reply #16754 on: March 25, 2009, 04:43:35 pm »
I dont remember the strobes being too bad at the Nation show Prodigy played...

Anybody know if this has a presale?  Im in class when it goes on sale...