Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10656406 times)

RustyOrgan

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #22380 on: March 02, 2011, 11:20:44 pm »
Anyone want to go in on flying out some al-Qa'ida to take care of this show?

Outlaw Jam at Frederick Fairgrounds
July 30th
MÖTLEY CRÜE
POISON

walkonby

« Reply #22381 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:49 pm »

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22382 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:40 am »

July 30th
MÖTLEY CRÜE
POISON

You know who is opening for that tour?  The New York Dolls.  Of course, seeing the "New York Dolls" now is like seeing "Guns N Roses."  It's really just the lead singer and some hired hands.

You could make a good case though, that Motley Crue, Poison AND Guns N Roses may not have existed without the New York Dolls.

Stunning admission to make, I know.  One "old" band Brian Wallace likes: The New York Dolls.

Brian

James Ford

« Reply #22383 on: March 03, 2011, 10:22:56 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhf_zgtmAg

July 30th
MÖTLEY CRÜE
POISON

You know who is opening for that tour?  The New York Dolls.  Of course, seeing the "New York Dolls" now is like seeing "Guns N Roses."  It's really just the lead singer and some hired hands.

You could make a good case though, that Motley Crue, Poison AND Guns N Roses may not have existed without the New York Dolls.

Stunning admission to make, I know.  One "old" band Brian Wallace likes: The New York Dolls.

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22384 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:45 am »
dammit - why wasn't this announced earlier?  we might have been able to get smackie out for this...

Rival Schools w/Police & Thieves, and Radar Fiction
RnR hotel
Sunday March 6

(also: Maps & Atlases on Thursday April 21; and kosmo will be pleased to hear about Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin on Sunday May 1).

Brian

see?  this is why it's so hard to take you seriously.

you wail against grunge band X because they were responsible for spawning crappy band Y, or 70's metal band Z because they led to grunge band X... yet you can abide by the new york dolls (whose music is certifiable bad; in addition to bringing us those three bands that you hate).
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #22385 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
NY Dolls are bad?!?!  That may be one of the wrongest things I've ever read on this board.

yet you can abide by the new york dolls (whose music is certifiable bad; in addition to bringing us those three bands that you hate).

James Ford

« Reply #22386 on: March 03, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
I know nkotb has more cred than allmusic, but I'll add almusic's five star (out of five) review of their debut to the argument:

There are hints of girl group pop and more than a hint of the Rolling Stones, but The New York Dolls doesn't really sound like anything that came before it. It's hard rock with a self-conscious wit, a celebration of camp and kitsch that retains a menacing, malevolent edge. The New York Dolls play as if they can barely keep the music from falling apart and David Johansen sings and screams like a man possessed. The New York Dolls is a noisy, reckless album that rocks and rolls with a vengeance. The Dolls rework old Chuck Berry and Stones riffs, playing them with a sloppy, violent glee. "Personality Crisis," "Looking for a Kiss," and "Trash" strut with confidence, while "Vietnamese Baby" and "Frankenstein" sound otherworldly, working the same frightening drone over and over again. The New York Dolls is the definitive proto-punk album, even more than anything the Stooges released. It plunders history while celebrating it, creating a sleazy urban mythology along the way.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22387 on: March 03, 2011, 11:37:19 am »
Wanders off to remove sweetcell from christmas card list, primarily for not knowing that new york dolls were a key catalyst for a little movement called punk. 
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #22388 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:56 am »
That may be one of the rightest things I've ever read on this board.

nkotb has more cred than allmusic

James Ford

« Reply #22389 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:00 pm »
Some would argue that's not a good thing...

Wanders off to remove sweetcell from christmas card list, primarily for not knowing that new york dolls were a key catalyst for a little movement called punk. 

ggw

« Reply #22390 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »
Some are stupid...

blipvurt

« Reply #22391 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:19 pm »
Speaking of All Music Guide:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/allmusiccom-disappearing-into-new-allinone-enterta,52608/

This is a lame idea on Rovi's part.

redsock

« Reply #22392 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:26 pm »
dammit - why wasn't this announced earlier?  we might have been able to get smackie out for this...

Rival Schools w/Police & Thieves, and Radar Fiction
RnR hotel
Sunday March 6

It was. Smackie apparently chose not to come. Being the only other Rival Schools supporter on the board, I will be there in a drunken bliss.

Few are as excited as I am about this but:

Rival Schools
RNR Hotel
3/6

Not a fan of the venue or the Sunday night but having them in DC is worth it.

Hmm, smackie's birthday week.....

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22393 on: March 03, 2011, 01:16:58 pm »

Pretty much. GNR's cover of Human Being is STILL awesome.

azaghal1981

« Reply #22394 on: March 03, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »
Damn...

Pharoah Sanders and the Howard University Jazz Ensemble
Andrew Rankin Memorial Chapel

In...about 10 minutes.

How did I miss this until now?
احمد