Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10657831 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #27780 on: October 15, 2012, 02:15:19 pm »
That said, it seems like Merriweather is fine with patrons smoking weed on premises.

in the pit and in the pavilion i saw several people being told to put out their smokes (tobacco and otherwise).  hence, they did care.

what they didn't do is be everywhere at once.  there were 25K people there.  security couldn't be everywhere, certainly not all over the lawn (where i believe you spent most of the day).  should they have security personnel posted every 10 feet, jumping on every single person who lights up?  
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #27781 on: October 15, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »
But what else was your friend doing while drunk?  ;)

One of my coworkers used to volunteer at Wolftrap. He once told me a story of some (drunk) woman getting nabbed for throwing and hitting other patrons with some kind of foreign object (can't remember what it was, this was probably eight or ten years ago).

The woman was livid that she was being reprimanded for her behavior and offered the explanation that she "was a high powered DC lawyer, and thus ought to be able to blow off a little steam if she wanted to."

I guess I was mostly referring to the "drugs" part of the no drinking/drugs policy. As if there are a plethora of venues encouraging you to bring drugs onto the premises, or selling them at the merch stand. That said, it seems like Merriweather is fine with patrons smoking weed on premises.

Which venues have a Yes drinking/drugs policy?

A lot of DIY venues are BYOB.

Wolftrap, being a federal park, is well within their rights to hit you with a felony charge for any violation of any law? possession becomes nightmare-ish and I've got a friend of a friend who was hit with a felony charge for being drunk.  Rough.

James Ford

« Reply #27782 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:49 pm »
They should have drug sniffing dogs and the entrance gates.
 ;D

That said, it seems like Merriweather is fine with patrons smoking weed on premises.

in the pit and in the pavilion i saw several people being told to put out their smokes (tobacco and otherwise).  hence, they did care.

what they didn't do is be everywhere at once.  there were 25K people there.  security couldn't be everywhere, certainly not all over the lawn (where i believe you spent most of the day).  should they have security personnel posted every 10 feet, jumping on every single person who lights up?  

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #27783 on: October 15, 2012, 03:18:04 pm »
All DIY spaces are different.  Many DIY venues are house shows, so they don't exactly search you at the door.  I was just trying to point out that St Stephens is a DIY space that has an explicit no drinking / no drugs policy (it's a Positive Force thing, as far as I understand it).  Other DIY spaces are at spaces where drinking is OK but you can't bring your own, e.g., Ras Hall, Casa Fiesta, and the former Asefu's, since those are all restaurants that serve food/alcohol already.  Every DIY space is a little bit different.

I guess I was mostly referring to the "drugs" part of the no drinking/drugs policy. As if there are a plethora of venues encouraging you to bring drugs onto the premises, or selling them at the merch stand. That said, it seems like Merriweather is fine with patrons smoking weed on premises.

James Ford

« Reply #27784 on: October 15, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
Thanks for schooling me.   :)

It's been a long time since i went to anything at a DIY venue.

And to add something to the thread:

Kelly Hogan, Iota, 12/8

All DIY spaces are different.  Many DIY venues are house shows, so they don't exactly search you at the door.  I was just trying to point out that St Stephens is a DIY space that has an explicit no drinking / no drugs policy (it's a Positive Force thing, as far as I understand it).  Other DIY spaces are at spaces where drinking is OK but you can't bring your own, e.g., Ras Hall, Casa Fiesta, and the former Asefu's, since those are all restaurants that serve food/alcohol already.  Every DIY space is a little bit different.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #27785 on: October 16, 2012, 12:18:19 am »
Sat 11/10/12
Trummors, PG Six, Alex Minoff
@ Comet Ping Pong

A good alternative to the unpleasant setting of PG Six's last DC show, at the Velvet Lounge (with the DJ noise bleed) a few weeks back.

azaghal1981

« Reply #27786 on: October 16, 2012, 07:03:38 am »
My thoughts exactly when I saw this yesterday.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #27787 on: October 16, 2012, 09:37:27 am »
Well I believe it is against the law to smoke in public in howard county.  so they should just throw people out if they are smoking.  It isn't hard to find people smoking as you can just follow the smoke.  it is a rule they don't care to enforce.  I am sure if you were bringing a 1.5 liter bottle of liquor and had it out and were sharing it with everyone around you suddenly they would be ready to enforce the rule.   

what gets me is they have all the annoying police in the parking lot all the time.  i remember there being one cop in the whole parking lot in shows in the 80's there.  now there are like 8 or so.  back in the 70's my dad worked as a security guard for some shows there.  he was in the army so he wasn't the police...so they had no police officers back then.  why so many police needed now? and why can't they enforce a simple no smoking policy?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #27788 on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:30 am »
i remember the days of merriweather being the worst for cops.  the worst.  then they got lite, just really now only looking for underage drinking and drugs.  they are so cute when they dress like young people.

killsaly

« Reply #27789 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:04 am »
I must be magic.  Mates of State asked where they should play Organ/drums duo shows, and I said DC.

Dec 7 - Washington, DC - @ Rock And Roll Hotel

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27790 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »
AP Source: Beyoncé Set For Super Bowl Halftime
All the single ladies will be watching the upcoming Super Bowl along with football lovers.  A source familiar with Super Bowl XLVII told The Associated Press Beyoncé will take the stage at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans
http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=803032

looks like i'll be watching the Puppy Bowl this year.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #27791 on: October 16, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »
Well I believe it is against the law to smoke in public in howard county.  so they should just throw people out if they are smoking.  It isn't hard to find people smoking as you can just follow the smoke.  it is a rule they don't care to enforce.  I am sure if you were bringing a 1.5 liter bottle of liquor and had it out and were sharing it with everyone around you suddenly they would be ready to enforce the rule.   

what gets me is they have all the annoying police in the parking lot all the time.  i remember there being one cop in the whole parking lot in shows in the 80's there.  now there are like 8 or so.  back in the 70's my dad worked as a security guard for some shows there.  he was in the army so he wasn't the police...so they had no police officers back then.  why so many police needed now? and why can't they enforce a simple no smoking policy?

It's not against the law to smoke in public in Howard County, it's just that Merriweather is smoke free.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #27792 on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:13 pm »
it's against the law to smoke in all parks in hoco

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27793 on: October 16, 2012, 03:59:07 pm »
it's against the law to smoke in all parks in hoco

yes, but symphony woods <> MPP.  i'm pretty sure MPP is private, while SW is the forest you walk through to get to MPP from the mall.

more to the point is the MoCo law banning smoking in all public places... such as MPP.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #27794 on: October 16, 2012, 04:32:05 pm »
i never understood why you can't drink in public which doesn't hurt anyone and you can smoke in public which hurts other people.