Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10287089 times)

Kubacheck

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #37350 on: February 25, 2016, 06:50:25 pm »
Southern Culture on the Skids
Jammin Java
5-20

also the following night at the Rams Head in Annapolis.....

moeszyslak

« Reply #37351 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:00 am »
METRIC w/ Joywave
The Fillmore Silver Spring, Silver Spring, MD
Sun, Mar 13, 2016 08:00 PM

presale on now, no idea what the password/requirements are.

They had an interesting VIP upgrade, that you get an acoustic performance pre-show, you learn a song with Metric and sing it with them (I assume as a group,) you get a signed lyric sheet, an item from merch and like a group photo or something.   The sing along was sort of what stuck out.   With that said, I didn't buy it. 

Space Freely

« Reply #37352 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:51 am »
METRIC w/ Joywave

They had an interesting VIP upgrade, that you get an acoustic performance pre-show, you learn a song with Metric and sing it with them (I assume as a group,) you get a signed lyric sheet, an item from merch and like a group photo or something.   The sing along was sort of what stuck out.   With that said, I didn't buy it. 

I remember the days when the only tack on to a show was a free in-store acoustic performance at the local record store where you got to meet and greet the artist for free, if you wanted.

Now they have all these tacky money grabs as tack ons to shows. I guess it's a logical consequence to everybody stealing music instead of buying it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37353 on: February 26, 2016, 10:31:51 am »
he's great live!

Billy Joe Shaver
Hill Country BBQ
6-10
(_|_)

Space Freely

« Reply #37354 on: February 26, 2016, 10:33:53 am »

K8teebug

« Reply #37355 on: February 26, 2016, 10:34:23 am »
METRIC w/ Joywave

I remember the days when the only tack on to a show was a free in-store acoustic performance at the local record store where you got to meet and greet the artist for free, if you wanted.

Now they have all these tacky money grabs as tack ons to shows. I guess it's a logical consequence to everybody stealing music instead of buying it.

Tori Amos still does meet and greets before shows, if time allows. I've met her twice.

Kubacheck

« Reply #37356 on: February 26, 2016, 10:37:19 am »
METRIC w/ Joywave

the most egregious example of this new practice in recent memory was actually your namesake in Annapolis last year... he was charging something like $275 to meet him/have something signed..... he even wanted that from his opening act, who had an old acoustic guitar (with many other signatures already on it) that he asked Ace to sign before the show.....

Yada

« Reply #37357 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:31 am »
METRIC w/ Joywave

I know hutch is all about it, but why would you even want to meet some of your favorite artists? I unfortunately don't think I'd have much to say other than, "nice to meet you, thanks for your tunes, brah, later."

Space Freely

« Reply #37358 on: February 26, 2016, 10:58:19 am »
METRIC w/ Joywave

I know hutch is all about it, but why would you even want to meet some of your favorite artists? I unfortunately don't think I'd have much to say other than, "nice to meet you, thanks for your tunes, brah, later."

Without going into details here, I'll just say ditto.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #37359 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:28 am »
Literally every "conversation" I've ever had with a musician consisted of "nice to meet you, thanks for your tunes, brah, later." Minus the "brah".
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #37360 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:42 am »
Literally every "conversation" I've ever had with a musician consisted of "nice to meet you, thanks for your tunes, brah, later." Minus the "brah".

I'd imagine you refer to Billy Corgan as, "sir, or mister."

bearman🐻

« Reply #37361 on: February 26, 2016, 11:43:24 am »

God, you've missed out on some good conversations, LOL. I need to write a book.

hutch

« Reply #37362 on: February 26, 2016, 11:47:08 am »
wow... I've had a lot of memorable meets with musicians...a lot of memorable ones from Peter Hook, to the Reid Brothers, Bob Mould, Dave Pirner (what a great guy), Andres Calamaro (my favorite), Lyle Lovett, Tony Bennett and on an on...

Are many of them just getting them their signature and perfunctory..sure.. but that's life when you talk to people you don't know! The way I look at it for me its about making contact and not necessarily a connection... it would be weird to make a connection with someone you don't know every time...

And for me, even just talking for a few seconds to a musician I admire is meaningful...every time is different and you'd be surprised what you can gather from little impersonal moments....

But a lot of the time I coudln't care less.. I went to see Ty Segall yesteday and I hated it.. obviously I have no interest in meeting Ty Segall or getting him to sign anything...

Have I ever paid money to meet a musician.. not yet but I don't rule it out..

bob72

« Reply #37363 on: February 26, 2016, 11:47:48 am »
I don't think I've really met any famous people, though I did run into (literally) John Michael Higgins (he was with his wife) on P St. last summer and I was kind of shocked and I said "Hey! Wayne Jarvis!"

He didn't really seemed amused.
PENIS

« Reply #37364 on: February 26, 2016, 11:48:55 am »

God, you've missed out on some good conversations, LOL. I need to write a book.
You could make a thread for that to start out the rough draft....?
slack