Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 9924293 times)

wml7

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #41460 on: May 25, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »
My friend has 2 free lawn seats for tonight's Sigur Ros concert at Merriweather. Let me know if you're interested!

You should go yourself, a great show they always put on
 ;D

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #41461 on: May 25, 2017, 06:30:28 pm »
^that looks horrible dude...this on the other hand looks cool

anyways

Guided By Voices
9-8
Dogfish Head Brewpub
Rehoboth

no cover (show starts at 10).. i have to doubt they will do a 50 song set..but you never know...

https://www.dogfish.com/events/guided-voices

I went to their show at the Brewery in Milford a few years ago....it was an epic adventure.

The show was a blast, but it was a slosh fest even by GBV standards.

The 10% "Beer Thousand" crippled the entire band - and audience - who are more accustomed to lightweight Miller Lite fare.

I ended up backstage after the show (I thought I was in line for a limited edition vinyl pressing) and I guess they thought I was some dude from Dogfish.

I argued/slurred w Tobin about the best GBV record (he was wrong) while bumming his smokes and drinking their beers.  Bob was hammered, huggy and hilarious.  I came close to letting him slide off my shoulder and fall on the ground.

After the awhile, I remembered that my wife and my friend were across the street at the little bar.  My phone was dead and I knew they would be pissed.

To prove my story, I brought Mitchell w me to the bar...he was looking for chicks I guess.  After a couple drinks he started looking funny at my wife.

Anyway, after about an hour a roadie busted into the bar and asked if anyone had seen Mitch - they were loading up the band in the van and heading to the next stop.

At that point, I was ready to turn Mitch back in to the band.

I woke up the next day at a shitty hotel in Georgetown, DE, with an irate wife and a crippling hangover.  

She's still pissed.

Best night ever....see ya 9/8.

GBV forever.

I like this story. I am now 62% going to this show. P.S. I think still have some bottles of this beer.

Space Freely

« Reply #41462 on: May 25, 2017, 07:17:13 pm »
^that looks horrible dude...this on the other hand looks cool

anyways

Guided By Voices
9-8
Dogfish Head Brewpub
Rehoboth

no cover (show starts at 10).. i have to doubt they will do a 50 song set..but you never know...

https://www.dogfish.com/events/guided-voices

I went to their show at the Brewery in Milford a few years ago....it was an epic adventure.

The show was a blast, but it was a slosh fest even by GBV standards.

The 10% "Beer Thousand" crippled the entire band - and audience - who are more accustomed to lightweight Miller Lite fare.

I ended up backstage after the show (I thought I was in line for a limited edition vinyl pressing) and I guess they thought I was some dude from Dogfish.

I argued/slurred w Tobin about the best GBV record (he was wrong) while bumming his smokes and drinking their beers.  Bob was hammered, huggy and hilarious.  I came close to letting him slide off my shoulder and fall on the ground.

After the awhile, I remembered that my wife and my friend were across the street at the little bar.  My phone was dead and I knew they would be pissed.

To prove my story, I brought Mitchell w me to the bar...he was looking for chicks I guess.  After a couple drinks he started looking funny at my wife.

Anyway, after about an hour a roadie busted into the bar and asked if anyone had seen Mitch - they were loading up the band in the van and heading to the next stop.

At that point, I was ready to turn Mitch back in to the band.

I woke up the next day at a shitty hotel in Georgetown, DE, with an irate wife and a crippling hangover.  

She's still pissed.

Best night ever....see ya 9/8.

GBV forever.

Cool story, bro.

But I have to say I'm currently read a Motley Crue autobiography and your story doesn't quite stand up to some of theirs.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #41463 on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:34 pm »
That really is a great story.

Great book, too, though the band was simply awful.

« Reply #41464 on: May 25, 2017, 09:43:12 pm »
would buy extra tickets but it didn't work.. even when i had extras for something amazing like the Pogues at the 930 or the Stooges or whatever it just became a big hassle..i couldn't even give them away....
yeah...I've eaten a lot of tickets over the last few years
I've got a few friends who are up for last minute "lets see a band I've never heard"
I will say, I typically ask my friend to pay face ...sometimes I'll eat the fees as it say $25 on the ticket (in reality I paid $32)
Occasionally I'd do the "I got the tickets...you get the beers"
with the price of beers these days, I usually do ok on those kind of arraignments

The tough one is when ...like ween...the supply/demand is WAAAAy off
I still try to get what I paid...even though my friend could go to stubhub and save $15-30 less
A lot of my friends who I've dragged to shows over the years have typically been thankful that I turned them onto something interesting and new

I will say that City of Caterpillar had the opposite effect, but life can't always be a bowl of cheeries

Great GBV story...gonna have to pencil in 9/8...not sure that's going to happen...
but the good thing is you don't need to buy tix in advance...
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #41465 on: May 26, 2017, 09:44:19 am »
JohnyBaconbitz bringing the story of the day. Good stuff.
LVMH

hemisphire

« Reply #41466 on: May 26, 2017, 03:47:46 pm »
The Messthetics
A new project by bassist/vocalist Joe Lally and drummer Brendan Canty (both from Fugazi) and guitarist Anthony Pirog
Kennedy Center
05/27 (tomorrow)
1:45PM
http://www.kennedy-center.org/pages/specialevents/openhouse

Space Freely

« Reply #41467 on: May 28, 2017, 09:06:42 am »
Pat Monahan, the multi-platinum-selling lead singer of Train, is also a partner in the Save Me, San Francisco Wine Co. Meet him in our Gainesville store, where he?ll sign bottles of wine named for Train?s hits, including Drops of Jupiter Red Blend and Soul Sister Pinot Noir. Proceeds help support the non-profit Family House, which provides services for families of children with cancer and other serious illnesses.

6/10 Total Wine, Gainesville (VA)
Free
LOL

herman otto

« Reply #41468 on: May 28, 2017, 12:45:43 pm »
According to James, supporting children with cancer, is a, LOL moment.

Maybe if he signed and sold bottles of some hard to find beer, you be all up, on his dick?

hutch

« Reply #41469 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:27 pm »
yeah that is kind of crazy.. maybe he meant LOL about how Train sucks..but even then Pat Monahan is doing something legit....I don't know what to say...

herman otto

« Reply #41470 on: May 28, 2017, 09:47:12 pm »
I get hard, busting James's balls.

Space Freely

« Reply #41471 on: May 29, 2017, 11:14:31 am »
yeah that is kind of crazy.. maybe he meant LOL about how Train sucks..but even then Pat Monahan is doing something legit....I don't know what to say...

I was lol'ing about naming your wine after a Train song. But you know that.

hutch

« Reply #41472 on: May 29, 2017, 11:54:48 am »

I was lol'ing about naming your wine after a Train song. But you know that.

Nope

K8teebug

« Reply #41473 on: May 30, 2017, 08:41:11 am »
My friend has 2 free lawn seats for tonight's Sigur Ros concert at Merriweather. Let me know if you're interested!

You should go yourself, a great show they always put on
 ;D

I already had pavilion tickets. Was a great show!

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #41474 on: May 30, 2017, 10:37:37 am »
well that is kind of my approach.. i go solo a lot though...10 years ago I would buy extra tickets but it didn't work.. even when i had extras for something amazing like the Pogues at the 930 or the Stooges or whatever it just became a big hassle..i couldn't even give them away.... that is what happens when you have friends that don't fully share your interest.. they like music but like if a girlfriend whines they stay home with the girlfriend... and now that in those ten years most of them had kids forget about it..sidehatch is the only guy i really see shows with regularly...i got tired of trying with many others... but i don't mind seeing shows by myself..in fact i kind of like it.. i was reading henry rollins last night.. maybe i'm kind of like him in some ways.. by the way it hit me like a brick reading his book that a lot of his behavior really does seem symptomatic of asbergers

I go to 99 pct of shows by myself (and when I say 99% I really mean 100%). 10 years ago when I was driving 2+ hours to go to shows, I would always buy pairs of tickets, hoping I could get someone to go and split gas. Sometimes I would, more often than not I'd wait too long to ask people and then they weren't interested, so I'd end up eating the extra ticket.

Anyway, going to shows alone is great. You can do whatever you want, stand wherever you want, drink as little (or as much as you want) and perhaps meet people. Quaint, I know.

I have an older friend w/o kids who loves to see shows and he's not whipped by his wife, so he can go whenever he wants, so I'll often go with him, but I usually go alone.