Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10205842 times)

Yada

Re: Just Announced
« Reply #52815 on: October 17, 2022, 03:18:23 pm »
they became popular with a new generation when Don’t stop believing was used in the Sopranos finale; more popular than at any time since 1983.

As far as Pineda vs Perry: regardless of vocal chops people generally prefer the original….you know, the guy who wrote and delivered the song when it impacted them

Lolwut.

Sopranos playing their already extremely well known hit didn't increase any popularity... maybe on iTunes for 48 hrs?

« Reply #52816 on: October 17, 2022, 03:25:41 pm »
they became popular with a new generation when Don’t stop believing was used in the Sopranos finale; more popular than at any time since 1983.
Lolwut.
yeah, I don't know if that was the reason
would like to see some data on that, but I doubt this is an accurate take
slack

Yada

« Reply #52817 on: October 17, 2022, 03:30:42 pm »
Lolwut.
yeah, I don't know if that was the reason
would like to see some data on that, but I doubt this is an accurate take

Generations of Guidos under the age of 20 lives were changed on that fateful day.

Starsky

« Reply #52818 on: October 17, 2022, 03:49:57 pm »
Definitely the reason. Suddenly you couldn’t go to a bar without hearing Journey blasting and people singing along.

Julian, Authenticated CAUDILLO

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #52819 on: October 17, 2022, 03:50:25 pm »
Don’t Stop Believing has been played at 99% of sporting events over the last 35 years. That’s why Journey is still popular, not the Sopranos.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #52820 on: October 17, 2022, 03:52:03 pm »
False.

« Reply #52821 on: October 17, 2022, 03:52:44 pm »
Definitely the reason. Suddenly you couldn’t go to a bar without hearing Journey blasting and people singing along.
seems anecdotal...I want data
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #52822 on: October 17, 2022, 03:54:45 pm »

As far as Pineda vs Perry: regardless of vocal chops people generally prefer the original….you know, the guy who wrote and delivered the song when it impacted them

Lolwut.

Sopranos playing their already extremely well known hit didn't increase any popularity... maybe on iTunes for 48 hrs?

y'all keep on talking about the sopranos (2007), but i think that glee (2014) had an equal if not a bigger role in getting Don't Stop Believing back into the mainstream. 

D.S.B was "an extremely well known song" only among the classic rock set prior to it being boosted - twice - by a popular TV show.  it's omnipresent now, but how many teenagers knew the song in the mid-2000's, vs. the mid-2010?  way, way fewer.   calling it a 48-hour bump is to show a lack of mainstream awareness.
<sig>

« Reply #52823 on: October 17, 2022, 03:58:52 pm »
welp, looks like you all have some takes that seem to be backed by some data
no one mentioned Rock of Ages tho?

Wikipedia has some good data

A top-10 worldwide hit in 1981, "Don't Stop Believin'" became the group's signature song and has continued to endure over the years. Decades after its release, it became the best-selling digital track from the twentieth century, with over seven million downloads. Critics acclaimed its anthemic qualities; music magazine Rolling Stone ranked it among its 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In 2022, the single was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Recording Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."[2] Cover versions have included the cast of the American comedy-drama Glee in 2009, which outperformed the original internationally.

In 2007, the song gained press coverage and a sharp growth in popularity for its use in the famous final scene of HBO's The Sopranos series finale "Made in America". Steve Perry was initially hesitant to allow the song to be used in The Sopranos but later agreed.[14] Digital downloads of the song soared following the episode's airing and the exposure motivated the band members to overcome the struggles they were having at the time and find a replacement lead singer after former lead singer Steve Augeri’s departure.[15][16]

The song has for years been commonly played at Detroit Red Wings home games. During the last minutes of playoff victories, the volume is lowered during the "born and raised in south Detroit" line, which is instead sung by home fans.[17][18] It was played at the closing ceremony of the Red Wings long-time home Joe Louis Arena in 2017. It is also used at other Detroit sporting events.[19]

The song is played during the 8th inning of every San Francisco Giants home game. Steve Perry is a Giants season ticket holder and memorably led the crowd in the song during a game in the World Series in 2014.[20] In addition, after the Giants won the 2010 World Series, Fox Sports used the song to close out their postgame coverage of the fifth and deciding game of the series.

The song got a boost when it was used as the closing number in Rock of Ages, a jukebox musical featuring hits of the '80s. The show ran on Broadway from 2009 to 2015, and in 2012 was made into a movie starring Tom Cruise.[21]

oh and this and this does back Hutch's assement
It is the number one paid digital download song originally released in the 20th century,[25] and was also the 72nd most downloaded song of 2008, and 84th most downloaded song of 2009 in the store, over 27 years after its release. On August 31, 2009 the song topped the 3 million mark in paid downloads.[26] It is the best-selling digital song from a pre-digital-era

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:03:11 pm by snickett-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Yada

« Reply #52824 on: October 17, 2022, 04:50:43 pm »
Ryan Adams and The Cardinals to reunite according to Ryan Adams who is currently on a sober high.

Space Freely

« Reply #52825 on: October 17, 2022, 04:52:05 pm »
Ryan Adams and The Cardinals to reunite according to Ryan Adams who is currently on a sober high.

Call me when there's a Whiskeytown reunion.

« Reply #52826 on: October 17, 2022, 05:00:20 pm »

I meant to post this the other day, but he played 4 whiskeytown songs on one recent show

seems to be avoiding DC

sadly Space Wolf won't be joining this reunion
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:02:13 pm by snickett-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

bellenseb

« Reply #52827 on: October 17, 2022, 05:03:24 pm »
Wasn't Don't Stop Believin' also a big plot point on the O.C. in the early aughts - the Ben McKenzie character was a big fan of that song and it was played as a corny/endearing character trait.

UPDATE maybe it was Separate Ways https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB8YWZ0MjDw

« Reply #52828 on: October 17, 2022, 05:04:34 pm »
the smakie thread is over there if you want an answer to that
slack

Yada

« Reply #52829 on: October 17, 2022, 05:15:01 pm »

I meant to post this the other day, but he played 4 whiskeytown songs on one recent show

seems to be avoiding DC

sadly Space Wolf won't be joining this reunion

He's playing at a venue in North Bethesda later this year.