Author Topic: Just Announced  (Read 10590226 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Just Announced
« Reply #53580 on: February 25, 2023, 03:57:23 pm »
Nobody wants new music from GNR!
welp apparently TM-UL does
but yes, no one else wants any...play the hits fellas, no filler

I'd be mildly curious if they did an "all covers" tour. Plus that one song of theirs as the encore.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #53581 on: February 26, 2023, 02:30:42 pm »
I'd be mildly curious if they did an "all covers" tour. Plus that one song of theirs as the encore.

It would be great if they played their punk covers from Spaghetti Incident live. Human Being live would be great.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #53582 on: February 26, 2023, 02:37:55 pm »
Nobody wants new music from GNR!

And it’s the least lucrative era in decades in recorded music.

Put those two together and I would be shocked if they recorded something.

At this point only artists seeking to grow their fanbase have any reason to cut records….unless they enjoy doing so and feel that’s what music artists should be doing. I mean I bet Iggy Pop’s record has sold less than 10,000 copies but I think he wanted to cut some songs with friends and be able to play a new song or two live.

Some musicians like Nick Cave are real artists who need the creative process and will cut records til they die. But these are few and far between.

Well explained. I know that the music and touring business has changed dramatically over the years. I would agree with you that the typical model of recording new music and supporting those songs on tour is dead, but I do find it interesting that I see people on twitter asking the band when they are going to put out new material. I digress. Perhaps there is a market for new GNR material but obviously it's not that large.

Also, I can see the value in seeing GNR playing the hits and paying out the ass to see them when they reunited in 2016. But aside from 2020 and 2021, they have toured consistently and their tickets have always been pretty expensive. Are you really paying $500 per ticket to see them a third or fourth time since 2016. Playing all the same songs? Perhaps. You probably have a lot more money than I do.

hutch

« Reply #53583 on: February 26, 2023, 04:43:29 pm »
I doubt it’s mostly the same people seeing them over and over again. They ain’t the Grateful Dead!

But remembering how they were the biggest band in the world from 1987 to 1992 that means there are tens of millions of people that grew up with them and these people now have money and it’s not too hard to see them wanting to see GNR with their homies and hear the songs that made a mark on them ONE time. These people would largely use new songs for bathroom breaks or to get more beer. When you are taking about arenas or stadiums we know the kind of fans these mega events attract. I do think there are still some people that want new music but I think it’s a very small percentage of people attending their shows. They are purely a legacy act.

I would go see them if they got Izzy Stradlin back.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #53584 on: February 26, 2023, 05:33:11 pm »
I doubt it’s mostly the same people seeing them over and over again. They ain’t the Grateful Dead!
I think most bands that have been around over a decade and continue to tour have the same people seeing them over and over again. Do you think 20 somethings are discovering GNR or Suede or The Rolling Stones and seeing them en masse?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #53585 on: February 26, 2023, 06:38:28 pm »
I think most bands that have been around over a decade and continue to tour have the same people seeing them over and over again. Do you think 20 somethings are discovering GNR or Suede or The Rolling Stones and seeing them en masse?

I think there is a big universe of people interested in seeing them once. Most reunions are like that….

Kind of like “Gee I would like to cross them off my list…”

The Rolling Stones have a larger hardcore following of Julian’s America people (am surprised you haven’t crossed paths?) that whenever the Stones tour get on jets and follow them… Lots of Europeans…But it’s still a very small percentage of their fans at US shows who , yes, I think are mainly people who “…want to see them once before they die.”

Nobody wants to see Suede or Kula Shaker. Nobody.

But I could be wrong on everything… still even if GNR has the same fans going over and over again I have the feeling they would love to hear songs from appetite, lies , and UYI every couple of years than new songs…I would! I mean when you see a legacy band live every few years does it really matter if they repeat the classics? I can compare this to new order… I would always rather hear blue Monday than a new song… if they have a new album three songs from it Max! I mean they have recorded at least five of my favorite albums ever so the hits are fine…now I don’t mind a few deep cuts… I think it’s the same with GNR

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:06:51 pm by Hutch »

RustyOrgan

« Reply #53586 on: February 27, 2023, 09:12:24 am »
WTF?! Suede and Manic Street Preachers was AMAZING!

I think there is a big universe of people interested in seeing them once. Most reunions are like that….

Kind of like “Gee I would like to cross them off my list…”

The Rolling Stones have a larger hardcore following of Julian’s America people (am surprised you haven’t crossed paths?) that whenever the Stones tour get on jets and follow them… Lots of Europeans…But it’s still a very small percentage of their fans at US shows who , yes, I think are mainly people who “…want to see them once before they die.”

Nobody wants to see Suede or Kula Shaker. Nobody.

But I could be wrong on everything… still even if GNR has the same fans going over and over again I have the feeling they would love to hear songs from appetite, lies , and UYI every couple of years than new songs…I would! I mean when you see a legacy band live every few years does it really matter if they repeat the classics? I can compare this to new order… I would always rather hear blue Monday than a new song… if they have a new album three songs from it Max! I mean they have recorded at least five of my favorite albums ever so the hits are fine…now I don’t mind a few deep cuts… I think it’s the same with GNR

« Reply #53587 on: February 27, 2023, 10:08:53 am »
But were there only 500 superfans in attendance? 
not exactly filling those stadium seats is more what hutch was getting at
not the quality of the show
slack

bellenseb

« Reply #53588 on: February 27, 2023, 01:06:43 pm »
Weezer w/ Future Islands, Joyce Manor
Merriweather
6/23

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53589 on: February 27, 2023, 01:12:30 pm »

The Doobie Brothers 2023
10/04
MGM National Harbor
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #53590 on: February 27, 2023, 02:10:37 pm »
Bloc Party
5-27

rich_WDC

« Reply #53591 on: February 27, 2023, 06:35:04 pm »

I would go see them if they got Izzy Stradlin back.
Yup!

hutch

« Reply #53592 on: February 28, 2023, 11:24:17 am »
Palace
6-6

I doubt it’s the Will Oldham one…

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #53593 on: February 28, 2023, 12:08:21 pm »
Struts
9:30
Sunday the 16th

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53594 on: February 28, 2023, 12:27:34 pm »
The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Tour
May 25
The Anthem