Author Topic: A Letter From Jaxx  (Read 3718 times)

RonniStar

A Letter From Jaxx
« on: September 25, 2003, 01:27:00 am »
From The Pages Of  Sin Metl News

Metal shows canceled in Springfield by Dan

In what is seeming to be a very dark time for the club Jaxx in Springfield, VA, owner Jay Nedry has decided to cancel the upcoming EXHUMED and STRAPPING YOUNG LAD shows. Here is a statement from Jay:

"Lack of ticket sales and problems from the hurricane have just made financial matters worse that have been bad since 9-11 and the sniper attacks, if people don't start buying tickets and coming to shows I will turn this place into a Latin Disco. I've done what I can, if people don't want to come to shows they can go downtown, I've had all I can take."

In addition to that, Jay has also threatened to cancel the upcoming JAG PANZER show, set to take place on Monday, October 13th. Here is a statement from Jay on that matter:

"If anyone doesn't buy any tickets in the next 4-5 days this show is in danger of being cancelled, if you want to see these bands buy tickets so we know you are coming."

*ed note- Like the management / club or not, this club has always been a big supporter of the metal scene and a great place to see live metal shows. If the club were to go under, it would truely be a black time for metal.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: A Letter From Jaxx
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 07:25:00 am »
could it quite possible be due to the fact that his ticket prices for some of his shows are high...

i.e.

Kings X $25
 Thin Lizzy $25
 Foghat $20
 Anthrax $20
 Bret Micheals $28
 The Exploited $22

These are higher than what up and coming bands get at the 9:30 and certainly higher than the Black Cat.  His prices have been high for years no wonder he's going out of business.
T.Rex

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 09:30:00 am »
Agreed. Ticket prices have gone up at Jaxx, but it would be terrible to lose this venue. Jay did take a big hit back during the sniper incident. He basically cancelled a week's worth of shows. (Kittie, Mushroomhead, Acumen Nation) I'm sure on some he might of had to pay for the cancellation, but I do know the Kittie show ended up getting rescheduled later in the year which sold out. Of course I really doubt the bars did any money with that crowd!  :)

Most of the metal bands that Jaxx's been getting the ticket prices are too high for the kids to keep shelling out. Not to mention Jaxx isn't in the most convenient locations for people to get too, especially the kids that don't drive  :)

Either way, I'd hate to see the club turned into a Latin Disco, because it is a great venue to see some of the more mid-range (300-500 crowd attendance) bands and have it packed. Although I do have to say, I *HATE* the fact I can't stand on the floor area to watch the band and have a drink with me. I have to be like cattle and stay in the fenced in area.  Isn't that what the wristbands are for?

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 09:36:00 am »
Well i definetely plan on being at the Anthrax show in October. The Misfits/Agent Orange show sounds tempting also. Then a distant third would be the LA Guns/Bulletboys show. I've never been to Jaxx so i dont know what to expect but it doesnt sound convenient when it comes to drinking.

jadetree

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Guiny:
  LA Guns/Bulletboys
I can't believe these two bands are still playing, LA Guns opened for Def Leppard at one of my first concerts ever

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 09:52:00 am »
You'll find a bunch of dimwitted 32 year olds who still listen to Cypress Hill, Anthrax, and LA Guns.

Originally posted by Guiny:
  Well i definetely plan on being at the Anthrax show in October. The Misfits/Agent Orange show sounds tempting also. Then a distant third would be the LA Guns/Bulletboys show. I've never been to Jaxx so i dont know what to expect but it doesnt sound convenient when it comes to drinking.

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 10:05:00 am »
A black time for metal?  Metalheads not going out because of the sniper?  What, have they turned into a bunch of sissies?

Guiny

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 10:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] You'll find a bunch of dimwitted 32 year olds who still listen to Cypress Hill, Anthrax, and LA Guns.

Dimwitted huh? So i'm guessing you'll be first in line so you can be closest to the stage.

muleboy

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 10:09:00 am »
One reason those ticket prices are still high?  Those bands aren't selling lots of records, and getting by on (1) advances from labels, and (2) hope.  They're making their livings off the door, and their liited t-shirt sales.  

When you go see an up-and-coming band that is selling lotsa CDs, and the ticket price remains low -- assume you're being subsidized in a hope that you'll spur more album and t-shirt sales.

Bands over the crest don't have that luxury ...

evil elvis

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] You'll find a bunch of dimwitted 32 year olds who still listen to Cypress Hill, Anthrax, and LA Guns.

come on now.  dimwitted 32 year olds?  lets see....i'll be 26 soon, so i guess i can't go see Anthrax play.  seriously though, have you listened to any of the stuff that Anthrax has put out in the past 10 years?  even though i do prefer the 9:30, the bottom line is that Anthrax is musically far superior to damn near every band i've seen live or seen listed to play the 9:30.  then again, there's nothing like seeing some garage bands that are here today...gone tomorrow.  haha

ggw

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
We are closed this week mainly due to club damage and food loss which is taking longer to get fixed since lots of businesses are in the same boat, and some places are gone completely such as Tim's River Shore. Bear in mind though that we are not blaming a single style of music or group of fans for poor ticket sales, the entire club industry has been in a downturn with issues such as the economy, 9-11, the snipers, a bad Winter and the Rhode Island fire. Two of the most famous clubs in the Country may be closing; 1st Avenue and The Bottom Line, HFSfestival was cancelled this Fall due to lack of major ticket sales, we are hanging in there and October is looking pretty good but we need your support, there is no service charge to buy a ticket in advance from the door with cash and if you use a credit card at the club to buy tickets the service charge is only $2. If you're going to go to a show at Jaxx then if possible buy a ticket in advance and let us know you are coming, if you aren't then none of this effects you anyhow.

http://www.jaxxroxx.com/jaxx_cal.htm

Bags

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
For metal fans, if you're interested in listening to Probot before it comes out (should come out soon), go to http://www.southernlord.com/probot/

Username: probot
 password: warlock  

Probot is Dave Grohl's metal project.  He does the music and has guest vocalists:

"Dave Grohl is taking a break from Foo Fighters to concentrate for a while on his new heavy metal band, Probot. Grohl will be joined by some celebrity friends, including Soulfly's Max Cavalera, Lemmy from Motorhead, Pantera's Phil Anselmo and Corrosion of Conformity's Mike Dean, for Probot's album. The project is being produced by Matt Sweeney and engineered by Adam Kasper, who worked with Grohl on the Foo's last album, There Is Nothing Left To Lose."

"Dave Grohl just recorded a metal album. He played all the instruments himself and sent the songs to his favorite metal singers. The result isn't old metal or nu-metal-it's just plain metal. It's Dave's personal dedication to something he loves."

According to Liam "Whatever" Lynch, "It's the hardest rockin'song that's ever been written. It's called'I am the Warlock,'and it is so hard, it's beyond Black Sabbath."

Bags

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 03:28:00 pm »
I know this will sound mean, but if the club is on the verge of closing, do you really want to buy tickets in advance?

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  We are closed this week mainly due to club damage and food loss which is taking longer to get fixed since lots of businesses are in the same boat, and some places are gone completely such as Tim's River Shore. Bear in mind though that we are not blaming a single style of music or group of fans for poor ticket sales, the entire club industry has been in a downturn with issues such as the economy, 9-11, the snipers, a bad Winter and the Rhode Island fire. Two of the most famous clubs in the Country may be closing; 1st Avenue and The Bottom Line, HFSfestival was cancelled this Fall due to lack of major ticket sales, we are hanging in there and October is looking pretty good but we need your support, there is no service charge to buy a ticket in advance from the door with cash and if you use a credit card at the club to buy tickets the service charge is only $2. If you're going to go to a show at Jaxx then if possible buy a ticket in advance and let us know you are coming, if you aren't then none of this effects you anyhow.

http://www.jaxxroxx.com/jaxx_cal.htm

ggw

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  For metal fans, if you're interested in listening to Probot before it comes out (should come out soon), go to  http://www.southernlord.com/probot/

Username: probot
 password: warlock  

Excellent!

Thanks Bags.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
Sure, ggw -- I'm not stuck in just one genre, you know!

Okay, I'm pretty much a power pop/indie rock slut, but I can appreciate my Queens of the Stone Age, etc.  And inexplicably Foo Fighters is my favorite band.  [PS, NO, I am not saying FF is metal!]