Author Topic: Reunion Tours -- Good or Bad?  (Read 11667 times)

Sir HC

Re: Reunion Tours -- Good or Bad?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 04:32:00 pm »
Saw the Stone Roses play what is now the 9:30 club.  They were brilliant (this was the second coming tour).  They did an acoustic set in the middle, played top notch for 1 1/2 hours (no opener) then no encore.  I didn't feel cheated in the least.  They could play live, if you can't hear the vocals don't blame the band it is either (a) sound guy's fault or (b) where you are standing.

Sex Pistols was because I could never have been there the first time.  They played tight here, were having fun, and of course you don't expect the audience of 30-somethings or higher to have the engergy of 16-18 year olds.  Heard about the blind date show, people thought it was Hootie and so started to boo and the rest.  Not their crowd.  

I don't expect to relive the day with a reunion show, anyone who does will usually be bummed.

Oh, and I would go to a Happy Mondays reunion.  Bez would have to be there though.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
Yeah, with the Buzzcocks I wasn't expecting to relive the day either, but I was expecting something special.  And it just wasn't.  I've seen other reunion shows that were amazing (Bauhaus comes to mind) so I know it doesn't have to be that way.  But more often than not, it is.
_\|/_

Jaguär

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 05:12:00 pm »
Just saw The Cure on the Craig Kilborn show a couple times the past couple of weeks and I was very surprised with them. They still sounded fresh and looked good. Well, as good as you can imagine Robert possibly looking. He's a little puffy now but has been for decades. The other guys looked good, from what I could tell from the camera angles. Most importantly, the music very oddly, did not sound dated. It was played very well and still seemed relavant. After that surprise, I'd now like to see their show.

For the record, I love the Stone Roses.   ;)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  Would be great reunions:

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers

Great call... a band that included future Talking Heads member Jerry Harrison and future Cars Drummer David Robinson.

How about The Runaways
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2003, 06:10:00 pm »
How much frickin' fun would a Runaways show be!?!  Teach those namby pamby Donnas and such what is *really* going on!

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Would be great reunions:

How about The Runaways [/b]

SPARX

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2003, 06:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  I've seen other reunion shows that were amazing (Bauhaus comes to mind) so I know it doesn't have to be that way.  But more often than not, it is.
I second that.Bauhaus was easily the best reunion tour i have ever witnessed.And i would've paid just to see the crowd at that one.It really brought em out of the woodwork.

Liberte

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2003, 08:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Would be great reunions:

Great call... a band that included future Talking Heads member Jerry Harrison and future Cars Drummer David Robinson.

[/b]
Plus, at one point, half of Robin Lane's band, the Chartbusters.  But it will probably never happen.  

I saw Richman solo a few years ago at the old Palms Playhouse in Davis, CA (which held about 80 people, so interaction with the performers was very close).  Asked him about a reunion.  Stare.  Shakes head.  Rolls eyes.  Asked for "Roadrunner."  Stare.  Shakes head.  Rolls eyes.  Someone bailed me out by requesting Rod Stewart, for a goof, and he broke into a perfect first eight bars or so of "Maggie May."

Riveting show, though.

G.Love

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 09:31:00 am »
I have to agree with wanting to see the Happy Mondays.

The one I would pay $50-100 to see is Pink Floyd. If only Roger Waters  and David Gilmour could get over it and reunite the band.

Jaguär

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2003, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by G.Love:
  I have to agree with wanting to see the Happy Mondays.

The one I would pay $50-100 to see is Pink Floyd. If only Roger Waters  and David Gilmour could get over it and reunite the band.
I've seen them a couple times and they were very good. Better yet, once was before Dark Side Of The Moon and the next was when DSOTM was just released and way before all the mainstream burnouts had ever heard of them. Each time was at the Lyric Theatre in Baltimore which is supposedly accoustically perfect and a great venue for their kind of music. Granted, not a party atmosphere but great for spacing out to a very cerebral band.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2003, 10:42:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:
  How much frickin' fun would a Runaways show be!?!  Teach those namby pamby Donnas and such what is *really* going on!

and the Datsuns, Kings of Leon...
T.Rex

G.Love

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2003, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:  once was before Dark Side Of The Moon and the next was when DSOTM was just released and way before all the mainstream burnouts had ever heard of them.  Each time was at the Lyric Theatre in Baltimore[/QB]
Was either concert comparable to the Wall concert in terms of pageantry?

thirsty moore

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2003, 11:13:00 am »
Pageantry?  Were they prancing around in powdered wigs and buckled shoes?

Jaguär

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2003, 11:22:00 am »
No. This was when it was all about the music and nothing about theatrics. Just a group of geeky long haired guys onstage with a bunch of computer-like equipement and a few traditional instruments. They did use some cool stage lighting but that was about the extent of the visual play. I think they may have had some backdrop visuals but nothing out of the ordinary though it wasn't the most common thing used at that time. Hard to remember most of it now since it was so long ago. Alzheimer's kicks in, ya know.   :D  )

thirsty moore

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2003, 11:29:00 am »
That sounds pretty cool.  I'm really into that geeky electronic equipment.  A friend of mine has a basement studio full of that stuff.

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2003, 11:31:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  That sounds pretty cool.  I'm really into that geeky electronic equipment.  A friend of mine has a basement studio full of that stuff.
This was a whole stage full. You would have loved it!