Author Topic: Reunion Tours -- Good or Bad?  (Read 11669 times)

ggw

Reunion Tours -- Good or Bad?
« on: September 30, 2003, 01:19:00 pm »
CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK

Back Together, for Better or Worse

By JON PARELES
 Published: September 29, 2003

Back in 1968, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel imagined themselves at the unthinkable age of 70 and sang, "Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you." Those men, now 61, have also preserved something far more marketable: their once-a-decade reunions. Tickets have been moving fast for the Simon and Garfunkel "Old Friends" tour, which starts on Oct. 16 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and includes a three-night stand at Madison Square Garden Dec. 2 to 4.

It is another rush of nostalgia for baby boomers, particularly those who didn't hear the duo's rusty, dragged-out versions of the old songs in concert in 1993 as I did. Etched into vinyl, their 1960's songs defy time for musicians and fans as unchanging artifacts of younger days â?? much younger days, when people actually admitted to "feelin' groovy." The closer the pair sound to their early recordings, the more they help recollections eclipse reality, the happier the fans will be. A reunion tour provides a payoff for suspending artistic development.

Simon and Garfunkel are not the only ones offering fans a wishful dip into the fountain of youth. Other reunions this fall include a tour by Duran Duran, an Iggy Pop album including new songs he recorded with the Stooges (who played some incendiary reunion gigs over the summer) and a cozy new album from the female folk-rock band the Bangles. Fleetwood Mac has been touring with a near-reunion of its best-selling lineup â?? only Christine McVie is missing â?? and has new songs about trying to rekindle old loves. And the cast of "A Mighty Wind," the mockumentary about 1960's folk bands, has been performing what might be considered a metareunion, harking back to hits that never were.

Reunions are staples of the concert business. Pop memories renew themselves every time someone hears an oldie on the radio or pulls a favorite album off the shelf. Put enough time between a breakup and a reunion, or even a reunion and another reunion, and a reappearance is as close as a concert promoter can get to a sure thing. Since there is always the chance that a reunion will turn out to be a one-shot, like the brief sets by the Police, Talking Heads and Cream for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, concert dates can be sold like a combination greatest-hits and farewell tour. And if some apparent one-shots â?? the Sex Pistols reunion, Kiss in full makeup â?? are then repeated, well, caveat emptor.

For a ticket buyer, a reunion tour presents more certainty than the latest swing through town by a regular working band. Since groups that have to reunite have not been cranking out albums steadily, there is a higher percentage of well-remembered songs to play onstage. A reunion skips those difficult years between precocious inspiration and the smartened-up taste of the present. Nostalgia, no matter how affectionate, has a way of winnowing a set list.

A hit-making name is a lucrative trademark that can linger beyond the grave. This year's Doors reunion tour, with Ian Astbury doing his Jim Morrison impression, included only two out of three surviving Doors, and the old arrangements were punched up with extra musicians. But fans applauded, and the band insisted it was working on new songs. The video ghost of Elvis Presley was reunited with his old band members a few years ago, and in October a video Frank Sinatra is to be reanimated with his old arrangements live at Radio City Music Hall.

Even a non-hit-making group like the briefly reunited Mission of Burma can draw a crowd because its songs have had a long, cultish afterlife. Given the choice between never seeing a vanished band and seeing its reunion, there is always hope that the old spark will return.

Sometimes it does. Elvis Costello's 2002 reunion with three-quarters of the Attractions, renamed the Imposters and playing with predatory dynamics, cut the slack out of his songwriting. Joe Jackson's recent tour with his lean but unstoppable late-1970's band stoked his combativeness and his rhythmic kick. Both reunions showed the most auspicious sign: they generated full albums of new songs, proving that the musicians were willing to engage one another instead of just learn the old parts.

The frictions that tear bands apart the first time around can give reunions a fascinating overlay of psychodrama; tension can make for high-stakes music or bad comedy. But old reflexes can also cause musicians to be professional and nothing more, pretending to be their younger selves minus the promising futures. Then it is up to the audience to suspend disbelief and sing along as if it were yesteryear.

But here is a critic's proposal: Every band should be allowed one reunion, no more. If things work out and the reunited band becomes a going concern, so much the better. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, winding up their tour with three shows this week at Shea Stadium, have spurred one another to some of the best music of their careers since reuniting in 1999. Steely Dan's brain trust, those persnickety songwriters Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, reunited in 1993 to start touring again; they have stayed together and honed a band that they consider good enough to back them in the studio.

At their best, reunions can remind musicians and fans what they saw in each other in the first place. And if not â?? well, the audience always has the songs, and the memories.

G.Love

Re: Reunion Tours -- Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 01:25:00 pm »
Stone Roses = Good

Everyone else = Bad

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 02:15:00 pm »
I really liked the Mission of Burma show.  They broke up because the guitarist's hearing was so bad.  Now they have that somewhat in control and they had all kept playing so it is not like they were out of musical form.  

Sex Pistols, had to go.  It was great, I was cynical from the start but they won me over.  Best line "Spare tires (tyres?) are sexy".

What of bands like the Rolling Stones, The Who, or Cher who keep doing "Last tour ever" shows.  You go they do another boom you were scammed.

Good:

Stone Roses (if this happens)
 PiL (with Jah and Keith)
 My Bloody Valentine (or is this just a long hiatus?)

Bad:

Simon and whats-his-name
 The Grateful Dead (Jerry was that band man)
 Most 50s acts (who is left in them?)

and any band with fewer than 1/2 the original famous line-up.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 03:05:00 pm »
I'm all for reunion tours.  I've had great luck this year with Joe Jackson, Sex Pistols, and even Styx/REO Speedwagon/Journey (which was purely for sentimental fun -- I felt like I was 13 again, belting out those radio hits).  I'm considering Simon & Garfunkel, though those ticket prices may keep me from going.

And if it's a reunion I'm not interested in, I won't go.

Occasionally it's sad, when the band itself and each individual member seems pretty spent.  But often enough it's either nostalgic fun or newly inspiring.

Also, I don't think reunion tours hurt other touring bands.  Most people I know who'd go to Duran Duran don't see other shows anyhow.  Or, they're like me and see lots, regardless of a $30 or $40 ticket here and there for some old geezers.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 03:05:00 pm »
Sex Pistols = Bad
  Pixies = Good
  Stone Roses = come on, they were never really THAT good.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 03:13:00 pm »
I missed the Pistols, but I did see their punk brethren, the Buzzcocks.  And I had to conclude that punk reunion tours are generally not a very good idea.  Punk was so much about the moment, and when you take that away, all you've got left are a bunch of catchy pop songs played without much energy to a crowd that no longer cares enough to dance very hard.
_\|/_

ggw

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
I'm of a mixed mind on the punk reunion tours -- Sex Pistols were a lot of fun.  Black Flag (if that can really be called a reunion tour) was excellent.  Dead Kennedys and Misfits were just campy.

Mission of Burma was also top notch.  But a large part of that is that the music stands up to time a lot better than some of the other bands.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
Dr. Doom, where'd you see the Buzzcocks? I saw them open for Pearl Jam, and that was *not* good.  At the time I thought much of it had to do with how long the drive to Nissan was, so the crowd was really sparse, making them seem so far away and screwing up the energy of the performance.

I missed their show in Baltimore, though.

For the record, their show in 1993 at the old 9:30 Club is, to this day, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

markie

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPIN:
  Sex Pistols = Bad
  Pixies = Good
Btitain 0, America 1?

Were you at the sex pistols show?

The stone roses first album is one of the best albums ever in my opinion, dont know if they were much good live. The one person I know who saw them said he couldnt hear the vocals and that they were pretty mediocre.

how can you jydge the pixies will be good before it happens?

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bubba:

Sex Pistols = Bad
  Pixies = Good
Btitain 0, America 1?

Were you at the sex pistols show?

The stone roses first album is one of the best albums ever in my opinion, dont know if they were much good live. The one person I know who saw them said he couldnt hear the vocals and that they were pretty mediocre.

how can you jydge the pixies will be good before it happens? [/b]
I wasnt at the just recently past Sex Pistols reunion show, but i did see them a while back in Toronto at thier "MGD Blind Date" show and they were dumb, and Johnny got mad and left cause people were booing them.  pretty sad.
    I THINK the Pixies will be a good reunion tour, obviously i dont know for sure.  

And i just think the Stone Roses are worse than Guns N Roses. (IMHO)

jadetree

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 03:31:00 pm »
  I wasnt at the just recently past Sex Pistols reunion show, but i did see them a while back in Toronto at thier "MGD Blind Date" show and they were dumb, and Johnny got mad and left cause people were booing them.  pretty sad.

Isn't that MGD Blind Date thing where the fans thought Hootie would play?  Sounds like a Sex Pistols friendly crowd.  Hostile crowds normally make for great shows right.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2003, 03:38:00 pm »
it was actually a Molson Canadian Blind Date show (my mistake) and not only did they suck, but they had JUST played in Toronto the week before, they played a wimpy one hour set, or that I think most people expected Tool to play. at least that was the rumour.

not Hootie  :)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
I saw them at the new 9:30 club.  The crowd wasn't sparse, but it wasn't very energetic, either.  I noticed this lack of energy at another punk reunion show recently, very striking to anyone who saw original punk bands "back  in the day" when such shows were frenzied insanity.  My girlfriend said she thought it had something to do with the fact that back then, most of the peeps in the crowd had not yet gotten laid.

But so lack of crowd energy did have something to do with it.  But also, they sounded tired.  

Originally posted by bags:
  Dr. Doom, where'd you see the Buzzcocks? I saw them open for Pearl Jam, and that was *not* good.  At the time I thought much of it had to do with how long the drive to Nissan was, so the crowd was really sparse, making them seem so far away and screwing up the energy of the performance.

I missed their show in Baltimore, though.

For the record, their show in 1993 at the old 9:30 Club is, to this day, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
_\|/_

Barcelona

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2003, 03:47:00 pm »
Would be great reunions:

The Pogues
 Talking Heads
 Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers

And of course the Pixies

markie

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »

the pistols were good here.......

you dont like the stone roses or GnR, but you like radiohead? Curious.