Author Topic: Bands that at one point or another have just blown  (Read 6318 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Bands that at one point or another have just blown
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Cornershop.  Saw them once at the club and it was dreadful.  Tjinder was possibly the most painful front-man I've ever had the misfortune of watching.
I saw Cornershop at the old Bohargers circa 1997 and man they stunk it up.  The singer seemed wasted. although, now that i think about it, i Saw JAMC there too and Jim was too wasted to even finish the set, he just broke some stuff and eventually left (after about a 40 minute set).  Funny thing was they played without him for another 20 minutes.  so that didnt blow.

Shadrach

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
Soundgarden, both times I've seen them live, once at Lalapalooza and once at A.U. Bender Arena, have been really awful. Chris Cornell's voice was terrible both times. Sucks cause I really like Soundgarden and think Cornell has a great rock voice.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 11:09:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  At the show with Rollins Band and Riverboat Gamblers, I thought X was just terrible (Exene seemed to not give a shit at all). And I'd seen their show the year before with the Fags, and they were great, so the Rollins show was just a bad night.

I actually thought X were pretty good that night (not amazing mind you but not terrible IMO) but the crowd DEFINITELY sucked as far as enthusiasm level which in turn probably didn't help to prompt any spectacular performances from the band.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Notable bands artists where I've hit the door (or went elsewhere to wait for the next band) in less than 5 minutes of them hitting the stage because of the aural shit that leapt out of the speakers:

off the top of my head, I'm sure there were more but I honestly try to forget about that shit haha...
 C.O.C.
 Peter Murphy
 Pantera
 Sisters of Mercy
 L.A. Guns

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  Soundgarden, both times I've seen them live, once at Lalapalooza and once at A.U. Bender Arena, have been really awful. Chris Cornell's voice was terrible both times. Sucks cause I really like Soundgarden and think Cornell has a great rock voice.
Was the Bender arena show the one where someone in the audience pissed of Ben Shepherd and at the end he just walked off?

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  Every Dylan show Ive been to post 2001 (4 or 5)..I just keep going back and I dont know why..
i thought his show at patriot center last year was solid.  a lot of long-time dylan fans confirmed that he was "on" that night, a rarety these days it seems...
<sig>

manimtired

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 11:33:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by manimtired:
  Every Dylan show Ive been to post 2001 (4 or 5)..I just keep going back and I dont know why..
i thought his show at patriot center last year was solid.  a lot of long-time dylan fans confirmed that he was "on" that night, a rarety these days it seems... [/b]
actually i was not.  i was at merriweather last year and i left about half way through.

Shadrach

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

Originally posted by Shadrach:
Was the Bender arena show the one where someone in the audience pissed of Ben Shepherd and at the end he just walked off?

Brian [/b]
I honestly didn't stick around long enough to see the entire show, it was that bad. Cornell was complaining the entire time that the monitors were messing up. In reality he just sounded like crap and the rest of the band was clearly annoyed with his stage antics.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »
My #1 pick goes to the French Kicks. Ive seen them more times than I should have and each time it gets more painful. Unfortunately they end up opening for some great bands so I just suffer through them hoping the torture ends soon.

The Rapture - for a band with so much hype, my friend and i left the show early so disappointed (actually we didnt leave - we just went to the downstairs bar) - they were so upstaged by The Presets.

Vampire Weekend - Ive only seen them once - pre-hype - and they were the most boring live act Ive ever seen. All their music sounded the same, but luckily there were 2 other bands playing after them.

The Fratellis - oh how i loved that album, might have been an off-day at lolla, but just wasnt feeling it.

Silversun Pickups - another album I really liked - and it might have been the venue's problem, but couldnt make out what a single song was.

and The Secret Machines - I used to love them live, but after last time - that's it. I left the show early wondering how they had changed so much from their previous shows.
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »
I think I mentioned once on the board how thoroughly disappointed I was with the Police reunion show at the Oakland Coliseum.
27>34

Darth Ed

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 The Secret Machines - I used to love them live, but after last time - that's it. I left the show early wondering how they had changed so much from their previous shows.
Well, they did lose a band member, right?

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

The Secret Machines - I used to love them live, but after last time - that's it. I left the show early wondering how they had changed so much from their previous shows.
Well, they did lose a band member, right? [/b]
yeah. but i still didnt think it should have been _that_ much of a change. School of Seven Bells is quite great tho - so there ya go -
HeyLa

Driveway

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »
Matchbox 20 opening for the Lemonheads at 930 Club in 1996 or 1997.  

I'm sure someone was there!

They were practically booed off the stage after arguing with the audience.  They looked like they were fresh from the salon.  Evan was throwing ice cubes at them from the left side balcony.  I remember a lot of us had our backs to the stage.  At some point, a guy ran on stage and whipped it out in front of Rob Thomas.  

2 months later, they had a number one hit and were rock stars.  They sure didn't earn it that night.

The Lemonheads that night though, were excellent.

manimtired

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Well, they did lose a band member, right? [/b]
yeah. but i still didnt think it should have been _that_ much of a change. School of Seven Bells is quite great tho - so there ya go - [/b]
didnt they lose their guitarist/main singer?  for any band, not to mention a 3 piece, thats kinda a big deal.  i went to the show at RnR after the one guy left and it was terrible. stayed for about 4 songs.

BookerT

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by DriveWay:
  Matchbox 20 opening for the Lemonheads at 930 Club in 1996 or 1997.  

I'm sure someone was there!

They were practically booed off the stage after arguing with the audience.  They looked like they were fresh from the salon.  Evan was throwing ice cubes at them from the left side balcony.  I remember a lot of us had our backs to the stage.  At some point, a guy ran on stage and whipped it out in front of Rob Thomas.  

2 months later, they had a number one hit and were rock stars.  They sure didn't earn it that night.

The Lemonheads that night though, were excellent.
i was there. i don't remember any of those extra-curriculars but i do remember thinking, "who the fuck are these douches and why are they playing this show?" it really was all kinds of terrible. then when "push" started getting lots of play i was like, "oh man, not these douches."

the lemonheads and ben lee were pretty alright. was there another band before m20? i forget.