Author Topic: Washington Post Disparages MBV's Loveless  (Read 2590 times)

ggw

Washington Post Disparages MBV's Loveless
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:58:00 am »
Please Explain to Me ... My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless'

In the wake of yesterday's supposedly mindblowing announcement of All Tomorrow's Parties New York (which is basically the indie-rock version of an overpriced baseball old-timers camp, only instead of Joe Pepitone and Bobby Richardson reliving past glories you've got Doug Martsch and John McEntire doing the same), I thought it would be a great time to debut a long-promised feature by the name of Please Explain to Me.

The idea: We ask you, loyal Post Rock readers/commenters/debaters, to explain the worthiness and appeal of something popular and/or revered.

To kick things off, I'm asking for assistance on figuring out what's so fantastically great about that most sacred cow of 1990s indie-ish rock: "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2008/04/please_explain_to_me_vol_1_no.html

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Washington Post Disparages MBV's Loveless
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:04:00 am »
trashing indie is the new indie.
<sig>

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:00 am »
The Post be reading my threads.

earlx

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:14:00 am »
I think it's a fair question.  I much prefer "Isn't Anything" to "Loveless."  If you strip away all of the reverse reverb, moaning and other noise on "Loveless," I'm not sure you'll find any actual songs.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:15:00 am »
damn they're lazy. Instead of writing a blog about why Loveless is overrated, they go ahead and ask readers ??  That's very anti-blog. A blog with questions...very creative.
(_|_)

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:22:00 am »
Originally posted by earlx:
   If you strip away all of the reverse reverb, moaning and other noise...I'm not sure you'll find any actual songs.
Couldn't you say that about The Arcade Fire or 75% of what people rave about on this message board?

Brian

earlx

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

If you strip away all of the reverse reverb, moaning and other noise...I'm not sure you'll find any actual songs.
Couldn't you say that about The Arcade Fire or 75% of what people rave about on this message board?

Brian [/b]
I'm not that familiar with what people rave about on here.  I really dislike Arcade Fire, however.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
Speaking of people not getting certain records, I think  Pitchfork was way off with this review of Air's "Moon Safari". A buddy of mine and I were just listening to it the other night and it's still pretty fantastic.

Mobius

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
arguing against loveless is like arguing against opiates.  

of course its not for everyone.  and its not an album to be listened to casually.  i think it should only be listened to all the way through and given proper attention.  by track #9 the sound may float through your head like the dilaudid 'bubbles' matt dillon saw in drugstore cowboy.

good faith arguments can certainly be made in favor of isn't anything.  a lot of what is implied in loveless is in full force on isn't anything - particulary colm o'colsoig's ridiculously great drumming.  a couple tunes are downers, but at least from feed me with your kiss on its pretty much rocket charged and bulletproof.

slappy

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
  I think it's a fair question.  I much prefer "Isn't Anything" to "Loveless."  If you strip away all of the reverse reverb, moaning and other noise on "Loveless," I'm not sure you'll find any actual songs.
I also prefer "Isn't Anything" much more.

But, why can't you make an actual song of just reverse reverb, moaning and other noise?

Isn't kinda like saying if take the strings, woodwinds from one of Mozart's symphonies you're not sure you'll find any actual songs?

earlx

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by slappy:

I also prefer "Isn't Anything" much more.

But, why can't you make an actual song of just reverse reverb, moaning and other noise?

Isn't kinda like saying if take the strings, woodwinds from one of Mozart's symphonies you're not sure you'll find any actual songs? [/b]
That's a good point.  It's possible to make great songs without adhering to the traditional pop song format.  My objection to Loveless is that so much of it sounds half-assed (e.g. To Here Knows When, Blown A Wish) -- like they went into the studio with two actual songs and then ran out of ideas and inspiration so they just made a bunch of ethereal noise and foisted it on the public.

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
I find that there are some pretty awesome songs on "Isn't Anything", but on the whole it lacks the cohesive blur that is "Loveless". It's an amazing record, and to my ears it really doesn't sound like anything else. Maybe that's why it's such an "important" record. Plus I'm just a sucker for shoegazey stuff.

That being said, some of MBV's other work often gets overlooked. The "Feed Me With Your Kiss" and "You Made Me Realize" EPs are incredible. Combine those 2 and you pretty much have another LP, and I think the music on those are even better than "Isn't Anything".

Mobius

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 11:21:00 am »
   My objection to Loveless is that so much of it sounds half-assed (e.g. To Here Knows When, Blown A Wish) -- like they went into the studio with two actual songs and then ran out of ideas and inspiration so they just made a bunch of ethereal noise and foisted it on the public.
I think its best to listen to it as one cohesive whole rather than individual 'songs'.

jd930

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »
From the MBV website:
 -----
 20 April 2008 Japan 4cd+dvd box set!!!
 Yes, this is for real this time! As of right now this is a Japan only limited edition release with Japan bonus'

My Bloody Valentine are finally returning to the music scene after a long, long 20 years!!! In addition they are coming back to Japan for the first time in 17 years, to headline the main Green Stage at Fuji Rock Festival 08. And here's in celebration of their wonderful comeback - My Bloody Valentine Complete Box Set!

The box set contains their two classic album titles "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless" remastered by Kevin Shields himself, EPs, 4 CDs of unreleased collections, and something extra for the Japanese version - a DVD of 6 video clips produced exclusively for this package, extending over 20mins!

That is not all... Other Japan-special features: all of discs 1 to 4 are in paper jacket sleeves, and English and translated lyrics sheets are inserted in "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless"! None of the hitherto versions of these two classics wasr accompanied with lyric sheets before, which makes the box set even more precious for their fans! However you should note that this box set is ABSOLUTELY LIMITED TITLE , and you'd better order NOW- it is available at 15 OFF on our site right now!

As for their upcoming new album, apparently it is almost done so if nothing happens (let's keep our fingers crossed) it will be out before the end of this year!

Contents
 Disc 1 # Isn't Anythingre-mastered by Kevin Shields

Disc 2 # Lovelessre-mastered by Kevin Shields

Disc 3 # EP Collections Tracks TBAre-mastered by Kevin Shields

Disc 4 # Unreleased Track Collections

*With a 16-paged booklet including liner notes penned by Everett True.

Japan-Only Features (TBC)

Disc 5DVD # 6 Music Video Clips for about 20mins 1. You Made Me RealiseSingle -released in Aug '88) 2. Swallow Single - released in Feb '91) 3. Feed Me With Your Kiss from "Isn't Anything") 4. Only Shallow from "Loveless" 5. To Hear Knows When from "Loveless") 6. Soon from "Loveless"

Discs 1-4 in papersleeves

Discs 1 & 2 come with original/Japanese lyrics sheets
  ----
 Here's hoping there's a US release as well.