Author Topic: Delmarva Beaches  (Read 1718 times)

lily1

Delmarva Beaches
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:16:00 am »
Since you all know everything about everything, maybe you can help me out selecting a beach or area to go on the Delmarva coast?

Here's some parameters:

-ocean side, not bayside
 -not overly commercial (VA beach is definitely out, as is Ocean City, MD)
 -lots of natural beauty; i'm thinking dunes, beach grass, tidal flats, floral/fauna
 -an area with b&b's, hotels, condos. i do not camp under any circumstance.
 -not really super high on entertainment. we just want to swim, read, walk, bicycle. Though if we can drive to a movie theatre, that might be nice.

I have been looking around and I was thinking Assateague? Suggestions for beaches? Recommended accomodations? We're looking to go next month or early September for around 3-7 days.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Delmarva Beaches
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 01:08:00 am »
Assateague ain't gonna work for you if you don't camp... that's the only way you can stay there.

Since you won't camp, you've gotta stay somewhere at least semi-commercial.   There's a string of small towns just north of Ocean City that are nice -- Fenwick Island, Bethany, and Dewey come to mind.

The good thing is that all these towns are also very close to state parks -- if you look on Google maps you'll see what I mean -- and all the state parks  have the natural-type beaches and dunes that you're looking for.   So you stay in the town, and drive or bike to the beach.

Accommodations are easy, especially after labor day... personally I'd avoid chains and stay in a locally owned place, but that's just me.  Pick the town you want, Google their chamber of commerce, and they'll have listings.
_\|/_

hijinksandsue

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 01:16:00 am »
Not sure what you're looking at in terms of $$$ but if it's not that much of an issue and it's after Labor Day I'd check out the Addy Sea B&B.

Directly on the ocean in Bethany, sounds like it has everything you want (and amazing breakfast too).

Worth a splurge.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:00 am »
I would say Lewes, but it's bayside.  Try bethany...it's the quietest of the 3 delaware beaches.  My family goes every year.  Not overblown at all.  As close to the state parks as Dewey and Rehobeth but cleaner, nicer and quieter.  A cute little beach town.  I'll be there in 2 weeks!

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:27:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  Assateague ain't gonna work for you if you don't camp... that's the only way you can stay there.
However you can stay on Chincoteague  (the island that Assateague is a barrier island to) and spend your days on Assateague.  There was a building boom on Chincoteague so there are a bunch of condos now but the rest of the village has some dillapidated charm.  And the ponies on Assateague are so cute.

lbcardoni

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
   Try bethany...it's the quietest of the 3 delaware beaches.  
Agreed...