Author Topic: The White Stripes Roll Call  (Read 6872 times)

ConversationDiva

Re: The White Stripes Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 04:10:00 pm »
have fun everyone! i really wish i was going

PigIron

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Here's the crowd I would expect:

a lot of homely-looking late-20-something women and guys with short well-maintained haircuts, normal frame specs and well-worn polo shirts

Originally posted by walkonby:
  older people vs. younger people -- who will be there more in abundance?
[/b]
Thanks for the  very late memo!  I would've bought a ticket in advance.  Sounds like my kind of party, and I'll be prowlin for the ladies tonight, no doubt.

cernoch79

• Cernoch Design
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »
Great show!  Jack ripped it.  Got home already.  it helps that I live less than a mile away...

floyd1975

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 12:04:00 am »
I'm glad I ended up making the last minute decision to go.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 12:36:00 am »
MY GOD! What a fucking SHOW! Jack White is a man possessed when he plays guitar. Did anyne else enjoy the billie jean-esque walks across the stairs sets? I got tons of videos and pics.

Did anyone else get that Jack was supser pissed off towards the end of the show? At the begining of & Nation he was mouthing to Meg "I going to fucking kill somone", he had been complaining all night about the terrible situation of the sound hence the fiddling with the amps almost constantly. But i was like right up front, amazing!

30 bucks for that poster? Come on! And that kilt? awesome.
‼‼?‼‼

Cash is King

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 01:16:00 am »
GREAT SHOW!!!!! Jack is AMAZING. I was right up front. Watching him is like seeing those old black and white Led Zeppelin videos. Jimmy and Robert just had a look about them, like they knew they were the best around. You could see it in the way they moved around stage and would look at each other. And Jack has it too. Just a great show.

ConversationDiva

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 01:22:00 am »
what was the setlist like, did they play much from their first few albums? did they Boll Weevil? what were they wearing? god i wish i was there it feels like forever since i last saw them! cant wait for november!!

Here's the thing

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 03:19:00 am »
Great show, but some major league a-holes about 10 people deep in the center tried hard to screw it up. I live about a mile from the Patriot Center, too, but I am not sure if I am going back. I have been lucky at past shows there to only see similar a-holes a few feet away, but the whole "drunk frat boy with attention seeking girlfriend who almost knocked off my glasses while doing his power sing along" thing was too much tonight.
 That said, Jack did rip it up. "We Are Going to Be Friends" was a highlight for me as well.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by phillidan:
  Great show, but some major league a-holes about 10 people deep in the center tried hard to screw it up. I live about a mile from the Patriot Center, too, but I am not sure if I am going back. I have been lucky at past shows there to only see similar a-holes a few feet away, but the whole "drunk frat boy with attention seeking girlfriend who almost knocked off my glasses while doing his power sing along" thing was too much tonight.
 That said, Jack did rip it up. "We Are Going to Be Friends" was a highlight for me as well.
it's a rock concert on a college campus.  what did you expect, tea and cupcakes?

Darth Ed

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 11:20:00 am »
Fantastic show! Ladies and gentlemen and digital archaeologiests of the far future, this is a rock 'n' roll show. Jack was awe-inspiring, and he fucking ruled. This was my third White Stripes show (Smith Center in 2003 and Merriweather in 2005), and I think it was the best one yet. He performed at least half the show without working monitors in the front of the stage, and he was probably pissed about that. But he didn't take it out on the audience. The audience was really into it, and he recognized and appreciated that, taking time to talk and play with the audience quite a bit. I'm hoping someone got the full set list and will post it, but I thought the set list comprised the full range of the White Stripes' oeuvre, but with the usual emphasis on their last three albums. "Hotel Yorba" was more energized than I've seen or heard previously. Like phillidan, I also very much enjoyed "We Are Going to Be Friends." especially seeing Jack crack up near the beginning of that song after he asked, "When does school start up again?" Presumably someone from the audience said something in response, but I was too far back and couldn't hear what it was. Anyone know?

I have to give some props to the lighting, too. It was decidedly low-tech compared to most shows of this magnitude, but it was far more effective, I think. The super-mega-disco ball was a joy to behold when it was lit up, and I loved how they projected alternately Meg's and then Jack's shadows on the large red screen that served as the stage backdrop. Bravo.

I didn't see any drunk frat boys with attention-seeking girlfriends, but I did endure three older (30s) drunk guys on the right side of the floor. They each had two mammoth beers before the show even started, and then they had a liquor bottle on top of that. I guess they weren't familiar with the "beer before liquor" adage? One of them vomited right next to me. Lovely. Fortunately, he hadn't eaten anything and they all left before the encore. I did my best to just ignore them and focus on Jack and Meg. They weren't too annoying really. I've endured worse at shows.

Who was the opening band? Dancer something? Not bad, I guess. Props to them for the Voltron reference, but I'm still disappointed we didn't get Grinderman. That would have been fucking historic.

Here's the thing

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:

Originally posted by phillidan:
it's a rock concert on a college campus.  what did you expect, tea and cupcakes? [/b]
Not tea and Cupcakes, but I didn't need him screaming, "Raise your hands, MFers" every 30 seconds, and her screaming, "You are a raging Mfer" back to him each time. I have been to a lot of shows, thanks, and know what to expect. Just saying...

bearman🐻

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »
I thought the show was really good, but wasn't blown away. The White Stripes are talented, but I guess I'm one of the few people that is kind of shocked to see nearly 10,000 people show up for this kind of music. True that Jack is an amazing guitar player...but sometimes I think he uses flair for the sake of flair, and also because Meg is such a one-trick pony as far as drummers go. I love her, but COME ON. She's got a style, but it's about as plain as vanilla yogurt. That being said, I'm glad that I went and I got to hear a lot of songs that I love (especially "I'm Finding It Harder To Be a Gentleman"). That was pretty much aces in my book. I agree with the crowd...a couple of royal jerks, but for the most part everyone near me was well-behaved and digging the show. I couldn't believe how far up I was. I was further up than I could have been at a sold-out 9:30 Club show. The lighting was excellent, and I can't believe nobody has mentioned those roadies. Easily the best-dressed roadies I've EVER seen.

betlbum2

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
BEARMAN, where were you sitting??? Curious to know because you said you couldn't believe how far up you were sitting.

mekmad

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »
The show is already posted on dime.  Here is the setlist from the taper:

01: (start)
 02: Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
 03: Icky thump>When I Hear My Name
 04: Death Letter
 05: Cannon>Little Room
 06: Hotel Yorba
 07: Finding It Harder to be a Gentleman
 08: Slowly Turning Into You
 09: Instinct Blues>I Think I Smell a Rat (instrumental)
 10: One More Cup of Coffee
 11: Martyr for My Love for You
 12: In the Cold, Cold Night
 13: Do
 14: Black Math
 15: Let's Shake Hands
 16: Ball and Biscuit
 17: Hardest Button to Button
 18: (encore break)
 19: Hardest Button to Button>Blue Orchid (instrumental)
 20: Screwdriver
 21: 300MPH Torrential Outpoor Blues
 22: (talk)
 23: Seven Nation Army
 24: We're Going to be Friends
 25: Sam's Place
 26: I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself
 27: (close)

ggw

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by D.:
  what was the setlist like, did they play much from their first few albums? did they Boll Weevil? what were they wearing? god i wish i was there it feels like forever since i last saw them! cant wait for november!!
No Boll Weevil, but they did play a handful from the first album (Screwdriver, One More Cup of Coffee, Cannon, Do) and White Blood Cells (Dead Leaves, We're Going to be Friends, Little Room, Gentleman, Hotel Yorba). Alas, nothing from De Stijl.

I agree with whoever said Jack appeared pissed off.  Between the monitor situation, the guitar cord knocking his guitars off their stands, and his visible displeasure with how his guitar sounded for Seven Nation Army, he was pissy for most of the show.  I think Jack has some anger issues.

It didn't show through in the performance; or he knows how to channel the anger into his playing.  I thought the show was excellent from start to finish.  That may be the loudest crowd I have heard at Patriot Center.