Author Topic: Secret Machines.  (Read 4832 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Secret Machines.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 01:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Is Josh related to David Garza? They both look kinda familiar and both are from Texas...

I dont believe so, I briefly looked in to that last year, and I vaguely remember some kind of connection between David Garza and Secret Machines through earlier work, but I dont think they are related.  I could be wrong though.

koolaid4sure

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 03:10:00 am »
Shit I'm going, I'll be the one in the front row smoking a fatty...bitches.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 08:07:00 pm »
I'm your last minute DJ for tonight..
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 08:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
Rough life you've got, my friend.
27>34

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 08:15:00 pm »
Great! We are certain to have good music even between the bands. I will wave to you from the floor.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 08:26:00 pm »
you should play pink floyd's "echoes" ... it'll really get the crowd rarin' to go ...
(o|o)

SalParadise

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 09:19:00 pm »
fyi (i just biked by the club to pick up my ticket since i probably wont get there til like 11)...

the set times as posted on the ticket window:

autolux 930-1005
 moving units 1035-1115
 secret machines 1145

Chip Chanko

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 03:50:00 am »
F-YEAH! How 'bout some more of that kick drum?

jkeisenh

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
i liked last nights show, as a whole.  i mean, there were certainly songs that dragged on, and at times i was thinking to myself "these are the sorts of songs that you're supposed to speed up to play live."  They came off as very guitar-heavy-- far more hard rocky than they sound on the album.  the lighting was indeed impressive, and at times was the only interesting thing on stage.  they had waaaaay too many guitar pedals, to the point that his fiddling with them sometimes stalled songs that would have otherwise been not-so-draggy.  They're great musicians, no doubt, but some of the 2-minute interludes of the same repeated drum and bass line were a bit much for me.

that said, i definietely drank the kool-aid during the encore.  their two more fast-paced songs (first wave down and nowhere again) were great, and finally their energy measured up to that of the lights, and naturally the crowd responded.

speaking of the crowd, i was in the balcony and had a great view of the throngs of frat boys, including the two guys front and center with golf visors on.  ugh.  someone threw a cup onstage, there were lots of fist-pumpers and rock-on-signers and the crowd had to be 80% male.      and with an average iq of, oh, say, 4.

either way.  did it end up selling out?
 great dj set, kosmo.  some great classics in there.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
I'll type up the setlist while listening to "Wait Wait". By request of The Secret Machines the set was on the mellow side.  Not that this is a problem as I often start out mellow anyways.  The band prefers to leave the rockin out to themselves, and likes to slip in the Mamas and Papas on before their sets.

As far as the show goes the first two acts were little more than a big audio blob to me, but this often happens when djing as I'm focused on other things besides the band.  Once I got a chance to relax during the Secret Machines they were a fun listen, although better at the half empty Black Cat last year.
T.Rex

xcanuck

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2005, 12:26:00 pm »
Mellow setlist, indeed. Heck, I had a hard time hearing the music for much of the night, though that might have had something to do with the loud and very drunk gentlemen that were surrounding me. But both my wife and I stopped dead in our tracks, looked at each other and said (unbelievingly) "Seasons in the Sun??????". Good lord. Of all the things Canada has to be sorry for, Terry Jacks is at the top of the list!

Secret Machines rocked my world., though I still don't get the Pink Floyd references. There weren't any extended, slow building bits to remind me of Echoes or Shine On Your Crazy Diamond, nothing to remind of Gilmour/Water's vocals, etc. But that didn't stop me from totally digging the band.

Bartelby

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 01:05:00 pm »
I loved the Secret Machines show too, except I was disappointed they didn't play their signature Dylan cover of Girl from the North Country.  I liked Autolux (the opening band) but the last song they did - indescribable, but something like ??feedback? music gone bad - cleared the floor.  The second band - ??Moving something?? started out great but then got so monotonous?BTW:  What's with standing at the bar like you're at happy hour at Whitlow's?  Those big drunk guys who spent the night leaning on the downstairs bars, made it really hard for anyone to get to the bartenders.  I think the 930 needs some ??No Parking? signs like Iota resorted to?but the music was great; the lights really good; although Kings of Leon's were better?.See you at Ambulance - getting out my gas mask and my haz-mat suit for that special Black Cat ambiance. (Haiku ?)

Great DJ'ing, and I noticed the mellow stuff; Did I hear some Patti LaBelle?...Volume was better!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
I'm you subsitute DJ, I am what I play....

The Secret Machines

Starbelly - "Mother Of Pearl"
 Delgados - "The Light Before We Land"
 Shuggie Otis - "Strawberry Letter 23"
 Mamas and the Papas - "California Dreamin' "
 The Hollies - "The Air That I Breathe"
 Ian McCulloch & Elizabeth Fraser - "Candleland"
 The Sugarplastic - "Will"
 Calla - "Televised"

Autolux

Nick Drake - "Way to Blue"
 Cardinal - "Big Mine"
 Zombies - "Time of the Season"
 Donovan - "Sunshine Superman"
 Dusty Springfield - "Spooky"
 Antonio Carlos Jobim - "Desafinado"
 Camille Yarbrough - "Take Yo' Praise"

Moving Units

Norman Greenbaum - "Spirits In The Sky"
 Terry Jacks - "Seasons in the Sun"
 I Am Kloot - "A Strange Arrangement of Colour"
 De Novo Dahl - "End of Time"
 Aberfeldy - "A Friend Like You"
 J. J. Barnes - "Snowflakes"
 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - "Second That Emotion"
 Buffalo Springfield - "For What It's Worth"
 Marti Jones - "Lonely Is (As Lonely Does)"

The Secret Machines

More later there is a hoovering I need to do...
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2005, 02:01:00 pm »

Shuggie Otis - "Strawberry Letter 23"

one of the best albums i've bought in the last year or so .... shuggie otis is just incredible ... what's even crazier is that this was released in 1974 and just didn't make any waves ... koz, you like "inspiration information" better?
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
Knew I was on the right track last night when Josh the Secret Machines drummer popped into the DJ booth to give me props for playing  Cardinal . The one off recording by Richard Davies (Moles) and Eric Matthews is a stunning example of the finest in well crafted chamber pop.  The album gets an almost 10 on the Kos-mo-meter scale.  The album may unfortunately maybe out of print, but the good news is that Davies/Matthews now own the rights for the album and are working on a 2005 release with bonus tracks.  Definitely worth seeking out...

"Seasons in the Sun" is one of those tracks that just leaps of a record for me.  

The sound level was set a little lower than usual  before the Secret Machines, by the bands sound engineer.  While I could turn it up a bit in the booth, it's best not to upset the sound engineer.  

The Patti Labelle sounding track was probably Camille Yarbrough - "Take Yo' Praise", which is the tracked sampled for Fatboy Slims "Praise You"

The Shuggie Otis record is a real eye opener although I'm still digesting it, which is why I stick with "Strawberry Letter 23".
T.Rex