Author Topic: New Dead Meadow, anyone else get it yet?  (Read 2658 times)

Sir HC

New Dead Meadow, anyone else get it yet?
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:04:00 am »
I have to say, all the pieces finally came together.  I have several of their other records and there were always a couple duds (the records all seemed to go downhill from a great first track to some filler at the end).  This is a lot more consistant, and the second guitarist helps fill the holes.  Thumbs up.

ratioci nation

Re: New Dead Meadow, anyone else get it yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:06:00 am »
i had it in my hand yesterday, but put it back, I will get it eventually, is it all more mellow like the mp3 i posted before?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:07:00 am »
yeah i got it from emusic because i was looking for new stuff for the KOL show... it's mellow and not really the best dj material, not thats detracts form it's merits in anyway. will need to spend some more time with it.
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
Do you think anyone in the area carries the album on vinyl?

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Do you think anyone in the area carries the album on vinyl?
Crooked Beat might

ggw

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
Dead Meadow
 Feathers
 [Matador; 2005]
 Rating: 8.0

Oh, so Santa Cruz is Freak City, right? And Vancouver is kooky as all hell. And L.A. And Brooklyn. Palm Desert got acid rock on lock. And D.C. No? D.C. is fucking Fugazi, man. D.C. is Bad Brains. Dismemberment Plan. Jawbox. Ginuwine. How can a city of Banana Republican pencil-pushers even hope to compete in such a heated psych-rock market? Here's how:

* The mayor was filmed smoking crack with a hooker, and was still re-elected after he did his six-month bid.
 * There is a GIANT PHALLUS poking out of the ground across the street from the president's house.
 * The basketball franchise's mascot is a Cubist Wizard.
 * Rock Creek Park, a lush valley winding through the city, is a great place to hide dead bodies.
 * Mk-Ultra
 * Tranny Hoover
 * Reflecting Pool

There may not be a stranger city on Earth, which is why a band like Dead Meadow existing in the District is not at all surprising. With their fourth album, Feathers, Dead Meadow add another guitarist and venture further outside their 60s influences to create a spacious, hypnotic album that distinguishes them from their stoner- and psych-rock contemporaries.

Dead Meadow owes considerable debts to Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Blue Cheer, among others, and the band has always provided a reminder that music like theirs ditched reality in favor of vespertine seances and distorted idylls. Feathers, though, takes those same influences and strains them through shoegaze standards like Ride's Nowhere and the Verve's A Storm in Heaven, augmenting the sludge with gauzy melodies.

On previous albums, singer-guitarist Jason Simon seemed to get caught up in his own riffs, a tendency often found in the dubiously conglomerated stoner rock sub-genre. Whether the presence of new guitarist Cory Shane provoked the change or not, Simon is more willing to loose his grip on his guitar, as evidenced on the extended silences on opener "Let's Jump In" and the ebb and flow of "Get Up On Down". If the riff death grip is what you're into, don't worry. "Untitled" is a 13-plus-minute ogre that will stomp the shit out of your crappy computer speakers. Its path is cleared by the curious "Through The Gates Of The Sleepy Silver Door", a drum-pummeling of Yoshimi proportions that scrubs any coherent thought you might be having at the time of listening.

The other big change on Feathers is Simon's voice. In the past, his nasal whine could grate if it weren't completely drowned out by a slight turn of the volume. "At Her Open Door", a slide guitar ramble that leaves plenty of room for Simon's singing, illustrates the subtle alteration. His relaxed delivery is a about an octave lower than normal, and it actually sounds like he's able to force air through his nostrils. "Stacy's Song" is an even greater improvement, slapping a bit of echo on Simon's breathy meanderings, which are downright manly.

Feathers may not have the heft of Dead Meadow's other albums, but it's easily its most listenable and satisfying from end to end. Along with the mountaintop bellowing of Comets On Fire and the riverside rollicking of Black Mountain, Dead Meadow have established themselves nicely as the bookish Tolkein fellows wandering the forest of the mystical neo-psych hinterland. Look at all that nature! Comets on the mountains, mountains by the river, and meadows in the forest...so pretty. Dead Meadow may not inspire the kids at Ft. Reno like Fugazi. They probably won't keep white folks clutching their spouses like Bad Brains. But I'll be damned if they don't do a fine job of updating the kind of music that made G-Dubs nauseous as a college student, and that's really all you can ask of a band from D.C.

-Peter Macia, March 3, 2005

ggw

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
FEATHERS

Dead Meadow

From Soundgarden to Kyuss, Fu Manchu to Fireball Ministry, many modern stoner-rock bands have done a worthy job of overheating fuzzboxes and creating nostalgia for '70s vans with lift kits. But few accomplish what Dead Meadow does, which is to create the illusion of actually being utterly and exhaustively stoned.

Armed with a new, second guitarist, the Washington quartet lumbers along on its fourth studio album like Hawkwind's spawn at an eternal battle of the bands, exuding slothlike, brain-numbing guitar melodies and "Lord of the Rings"-worthy lyrics (e.g., "From the boughs of the oak tree / three ravens wait / over his cold bones lying as they are / the wind will moan forevermore"). This might at first appear counterproductive. After all, stoner-rock is most often purchased by stoners, meaning that ingesting music of Dead Meadow's slow-activating, psychedelic potency could trigger total loss of consciousness. But that's the point. No listener will be able to resist this album's soporific blitz of textured, droning guitar chords and shimmering, lost-in-space vocals, one elephantine song drifting into the next until . . . zzzzzzzzz.

So is a CD that puts you to sleep a bad album? Not necessarily. There's a beauty to the detached manner in which Dead Meadow trudges behind your brain. "Feathers" isn't a particularly memorable collection of songs, but as a whole, it can be appreciated for the achievement that it is: effective, trippy audio NyQuil for both the "Dazed & Confused" and "Just Say No" crowds.

-- Michael Deeds

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53478-2005Feb25.html

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
Oh, and that unnamed last track is really the first track  "The Sleepy Silver Door" on their first record redone with the second guitarist.  It is stronger this time.

snailhook

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
crooked beat has a couple of copies on vinyl.

"feathers" is awesome. dead meadow is going in more of a psych/shoegaze direction than stoner/boogie rock. not that they didn't have those elements in spades before...it's just more pronounced now. corey is an excellent addition on guitar, as his rhythm allows jason to take his solos to the next level. i'm still not sure if it's their best record yet, only because i value the other three so highly.

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
Including the live one they have 4 others, right?

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 05:19:00 pm »
complete dead meadow discography:

dead meadow LP (2001)
 howling from the hills LP (2002)
 got live if you want it (live LP) (2003)
 peel sessions EP (2003) (self-released)
 shivering kind and others LP (2003)
 feathers LP (2005)

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 02:19:00 am »
I saw Dead Meadow once a couple years ago and totally hated them. They made me want to kill.

Lately, 3WK has been playing a cut or two from their new release. I was in shock when I looked to see who it was because I actually liked it. I'm still very surprised about that.