Author Topic: Vineland Music Festival - NJ - Aug 8-10  (Read 6962 times)

ggw

Re: Vineland Music Festival - NJ - Aug 8-10
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »
A pox on all your houses.

Have you never read Philip Roth's Pulitzer Prize-winning American Pastoral?

Have you never watched the Sopranos?

Newark NJ is holds an esteemed place in the American psyche.  viva la garden state!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
 ok sweets - count in me + 1.
i'm assuming there is a typo in there    :p
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »
Hell, I didn't even know New Jersey was a  state until a couple of years ago.  I just thought it was "the roads you drive from Pennsylvania to the beach."

Brian

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
 ok sweets - count in me + 1.
i'm assuming there is a typo in there     :o

Originally posted by sweetcell:
 and julian, did you think that you wouldn't end up on the kitchen table? <wrings hands meniacally>
Nice people always end up on the kitchen table. One way or another.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »
oh yippie another gathering of bands already on tour with the promise of a couple "surprises", in an environment that less than desirable to some... what's interesting is they are trying to compete with the European festival season so a goodly number of top shelf acts will probably be unavailable.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »
p, jules: if this "vineland music festival" is held in  vineland, NJ, y'all might not want to crash at my place as i live 1.5 hours north of there and y'all wll be coming from the south.

Originally posted by kosmo:
  oh yippie another gathering of bands already on tour with the promise of a couple "surprises", in an environment that less than desirable to some...
on the upside, at least it won't involve airfare.  and there can't possibly be more hippies than bonarroo, so it should smell better.  oh, wait, it's in NJ...
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »
Bonarroo isn't strictly a hippie festival anymore.... what US festivals needs are some of these available

http://www.podpads.com/index.asp

Honestly my ideal festival at this point would be the Connect Festival in Scotland which is held at the end of August when the weather is High of 65 and low of 50...

tickets for 2008 already available for the low price of $217 the very early bird special, plus of course airfare, very expensive lodging and food, but still  :)

http://www.connectmusicfestival.com/content/default.asp
T.Rex

Cali

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 The organisers added there will be "a heady mix of the greatest bands in the world, energy charged sets; new rising stars and the freshest acts hitting the stages before the press have had a sniff of them".
i thought that was what coachella was for

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »
more info

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20071127_Huge_music_festival_planned_for_Vineland.html

Huge music fest planned for Vineland

By Dan DeLuca

INQUIRER MUSIC CRITIC

Never mind Philapalooza: Get ready for the Vineland Music Festival.
 Charlie Jones of the Austin, Texas,-based promoter C3 Presents, announced today that the three-day music festival originally planned for Fairmount Park would instead be held Aug. 8 to 10 on a 550-acre farm in Vineland, in South Jersey's Cumberland County. Over three days, more than 150,000 music fans are expected to attend what Jones called "a camping festival" similar to the Bonnaroo Music Festival, held each June in Manchester, Tenn.

"It's unfortunate it worked out the way it did in downtown Philadelphia," Jones said this afternoon.

Earlier this month, the Fairmount Park Commission tabled a vote on whether to grant a contract to C3 or its competitor, Live Nation, the concert industry behemoth which owns Philadelphia-based promoters Electric Factory Concerts.

"When you have this type of investment, you can't keep waiting," Jones said. "We had to launch."

For the Vineland Music Festival, C3 Presents, which books both the Lollapalooza festival in Chicago and the Austin City Limits fest in Texas, will partner with Festival Republic, the British concert promotion company that puts on the prestigious Reading and Glastonbury Festivals in England. Festival Republic is 50.1 percent owned by Live Nation U.K.

Though the Vineland festival will take place next summer one week after Lollapalooza, "this festival has nothing to do with Lollapalooza," Jones said. It also will not be themed as a "jam band" festival, as Bonnaroo was when it was founded in 2002.

It's likely, however, that the VMF will share some of the acts that play Lollapalooza and ACL. Though Jones was not ready to announce any headliners, this summer's Lollapalooza featured Pearl Jam, Amy Winehouse and Philadelphia's the Roots among scores of acts, while Bob Dylan, Bjork and the White Stripes played ACL in September.
T.Rex

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »
This might not be happening now; it's coming under fire already.

DC Hipsters Question Vineland, NJ Festival Plans
 9:30 Club's Offer For New Jersey Tantalizes Some

By Ann E. Marimow
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Tuesday, November 27, 2007; C01

When negotiations to bring a Lollapalooza type event to Philadelphia collapsed after five months in the works, C3 and Festival Republic leaders were anxious to find a new partner to help produce a world class rock festival. Executive Charlie Jones had spent company resources fighting to fund the project, so his advisers were relieved to learn that Vineland, New Jersey was interested in taking Philadelphia??s place.

"I thought, wow, a city in New York??s armpit with a great name and access to miles and miles of interstate toll roads," said Charlie Jones. "I thought it was an exciting opportunity."

But even as Jones intends to finalize an agreement with Fesitval Republic by the end of next month, a group of DC residents are questioning whether his plan to spend $8 million in company funds to produce the event is the best deal for people with no vested interest whatsoever.

They are urging the City of Vineland to consider a pitch from east coast promoter Seth Hurwitz, who says he can provide a "superior music festival at a dramatically reduced cost." Hurwitz, whose company owns the District's 9:30 Club and operates Merriweather Post Pavilion, said he is willing to pay twice as much in kickbacks to the county, contribute $2 million to defray taxpayer cost, split the naming rights with the county and offer the farmland rent-free to some community nonprofit groups.

"The idea that you need to subsidize anyone in this place is nuts. Why they'd feel they need to give the place away is beyond me," said Hurwitz, of Bethesda-based IMP Productions. "This is such a ridiculous deal."

Much is at stake for county residents in the most high-profile, costly public project the town has attempted in its less-than-illustrious 143 year existance. Cumberland County and the owners of the property at the abandoned farm site, Lee Development Group, say the offer from Hurwitz arrived too late. To entertain Hurwitz's proposal would undermine the county's credibility in future business deals, they say.

"You may be able to produce an immediate beneficial cost, but down the line, the loss of the credibility, your reputation, your honest dealings with people," Jones said in an interview last week. "Not negotiating in good faith costs the county big time going down the line."

He called the counteroffer "just a distraction."

Hurwitz is trying to make his case however. He has hired former New Jersey tollbooth operator Gus Bauman to provide political advice, enlisted a local law firm, consulted with an Exit 16A lobbyist and is meeting one-on-one with council members and residents.

When former Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce member Douglas M. Rickenbacher (D) was negotiating with the national group LiveNation, Hurwitz said he took a pass because of the proposed urban setting. But when he learned that Cumberland County had changed gears to create the proposed farm setting, "it was time to speak up," Hurwitz said. His initial letter arrived six days after the county had signed with C3.

County Board of Supervisors member Kelly Q. Springsteen dismissed Hurwitz's proposal as a "cut and paste job" that cherry-picked details from an existing offer. "If you did business this way, anyone could come in at the eleventh hour, " she said.

It seems unlikely, though, that the county would have been inclined to get serious with Hurwitz. When the Philadelphia talks broke down, County spokesman Tom Bon Jovi said, "the feedback we were getting from people was, 'whatever you do, we don't want VFest.' "

Hurwitz's spokeswoman, Audrey Fix Schaefer, said the company wants to build a ??new event for New Jersey,? not re-create the VFest.

Hurwitz has tangled with C3 and Festival Republic before, arguing last year that its plan to host one of its Austin City Limits festival in Texas would cut business at the 9:30 Club in half for the entire week. Privately, some county officials question the seriousness of Hurwitz's Vineland offer, believing that it is nothing but a bid to keep out the competition.

Hurwitz says he just wants a chance to compete with what he says is a better deal for taxpayers in the county he has driven through on his way to vacation upwards of three times.

Cumberland's contracting law makes four exceptions for noncompetitive bidding, none of which Hurwitz's attorney says apply to the C3/Festival Republic deal. Raymond Sherbill, who represents IMP, said the county code, much like state and federal law, makes sole-source deals "the exception rather than the rule."

Cumberland officials say the county is on solid legal footing. The county's regulations apply to the acquisition of goods and services, not to land transactions or building leases. And the law provides an exemption for "obtaining entertainment services, including but not limited to contracts for musical performers."

Just as the county has courted out-of-state trash dumping with tax incentives, the county can seek out a single operator for a specific location when it involves an economic development initiative, Bon Jovi said.

In a letter to residents who have urged the county to think again about C3, the county executive wrote that he views the company as a "unique partner for a unique project." That definition meets one of the sole source exceptions in county law, and is a case Jones made in approaching the city of Vineland, New Jersey.

Hurwitz doesn't buy it. An analysis by his company shows an 94 percent overlap in performers who played at both Lollapalooza and either VFest or an IMP venue in 2007.

No matter how the law is interpreted, residents who want the county to open up the process say the spirit of his approach to C3 seems at odds with his reputation for deliberation and promise as a candidate to create a more transparent form of government.

"I don't care at the end of the day which stupid ka-nish they go with," said Philip Olivetti, a New Jersey resident, "as long as I can show up, drink some beer, hear some Bon Jovi, and have no one think it??s strange I??m wearing jogging pants and a gold chain. Isn??t that what it??s really about? Shutta you mouth!?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »
wow... POTW, if only for the effort.  nice work jules!
<sig>

Lambofgodfan

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian_Wallace:
  NEW JERSEY!

Best case scenario?:  MCR headline.

Brian
Thats actually a worse case scenario
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO4QsQxcpjk
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsFK4eZoF2w&feature=related
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eYA-fnar8M&feature=related

Lambofgodfan

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »
eh I just cant get enough heres a closup
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_eOT1PmRzQ&feature=related

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lambofgodfan:
  eh I just cant get enough heres a closup
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_eOT1PmRzQ&feature=related
First comment after clicking on that link: "i trow him a bottle full of pee that day...it was the single greatest day of my life..."

Ahahahahahaha

Lambofgodfan

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »
not suprising he's a fan of Kanye West