Author Topic: Starr Music Hall  (Read 1611 times)

eltee

Starr Music Hall
« on: March 04, 2005, 12:11:00 pm »
in Charlottesville. Anyone been there? If so, what's the good, bad and ugly?

Arlette

Re: Starr Music Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
I'm there all the time.  What do you want to know?  It's a nice venue, small (500 capacity), with pluses and minuses.  What show are you thinking of attending and I can be specific for you?

eltee

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
Sound, sightlines, crowd, GA/seated, general vibe, parking, etc. etc. The basics. Thanks!

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:35:00 pm »
SMALL club.  Upstairs from a slightly hoity toidy eatery/bar.  Maybe holds 300.  Tiny stage.  Crowds build slowly.  Doors usually at 8:00.  Get there early and go to teh bar downstairs.  Very laid back place.  Decent sound system.  Saw The Damnwell a few weeks ago and then Secret Machines this week.  Both were fantastic shows.  Go, listen to music, dance about, enjoy yourself...
FUKIT

eltee

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:46:00 pm »
Cool, thanks. I assume it's GA then. Easy to find and 'bout 2 hours away, eh?

Arlette

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:12:00 pm »
The seating depends on the show. Mainly it is GA, but there are other types as well, check it out here:

http://www.starrhill.com/Page/8

That's why I asked what show you had in mind.  Doors time change too.  Capacity is 500.  I actually wouldn't consider the restaurant downstairs hoity toity; it's more like a brew pub - that kind of menu - and they do brew their own beer.

The crowd is totally dependant on the artist.  They had Kennry Chesney there a a couple of weeks ago and the crowd was a lot of unhappy middle aged women who were lookin' for love in all the wrong places.  For Secret Machines, I was surprised how young the crowd was.  Last night they had Particle, and that was all hippies.  So, again, it depends on the show.  

Two hours from downtown DC.  If you go via Rt. 29S, watch out, Five-O is always on that road with speed traps.  Paid parking (I think it's like $3-$5) is across the street from the Club.  

The other thing:  there is no sign out front at all. You can only recognize it because it has a lighted star in the front window.  

And, the Club only accepts cash at the bar.  Credit cards are okay downstairs, but not at the club.  Re-entry is allowed.

Okay, that's a lot of info.  Told you I was there all the time.  ;-)

eltee

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »
Got it. thanks!

eltee

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
so I visited. The staph is mean. Except one guy who was nice for a moment. Decent venue, w/ a similar line-up to 9:30. However, unless someone didn't come through DC and I was desperate, I wouldn't go back. Rememberance only is better than being in the throes of the good ol' college days -- at least there anyway.