Author Topic: Has anyone seen SFA on their current tour yet?  (Read 2133 times)

nicks bad seed

Has anyone seen SFA on their current tour yet?
« on: February 10, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
I'm going to the show tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has seen them at another venue on the current headliner tour.  

I saw them at the 9:30 when they toured behind the "Rings" album and was a little underwhelmed mostly due to the reliance on the video projections to carry the show. I've seen them play at the Black Cat other times w/out the visuals and found those shows to be superior to what I saw that last time out.  

So, if anyone has seen an earlier show are they still doing the projection thing and if so, are they letting the visuals carry the show again or are they more engaged in their performance this time around?  Just cusious as to what I should expect.

Re: Has anyone seen SFA on their current tour yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
A friend told me they're not very good live because alot of their music is prerecorded.

markie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
The last three times we saw them they had the same kind of show, with the projectors....

If I was a gambling man I would put money on them carrying on that way. The last two times at 930 were a bit of a disappointment for me. I am going to the shins this time.

markie

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  A friend told me they're not very good live because alot of their music is prerecorded.
They use some loops, but not very many. Plus there is a guy managing the loops and what not live. So your friend is mistaken.

The band did seem disinterested at the 930 the last couple of times, in my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 12:56:00 pm »
My friend had been at the show with Granddaddy, and was disinterested in this one, even with the 2 for 1 offer. Said he'll take his chances on getting Shins tickets.

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
They use some loops, but not very many. Plus there is a guy managing the loops and what not live. So your friend is mistaken.

The band did seem disinterested at the 930 the last couple of times, in my opinion. [/b]

Barcelona

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
I saw them opening for Grandaddy back in October and thought they were excellent. I didn't know them when I went to the show, but a week after the show I had already bought two of their cds. I think that not only they put together good music, but I think they are pretty funny and the special effects can be pretty nice, especially towards the end of the show. If I was in DC, I'd definetely go to the show.

myuman

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 09:14:00 pm »
I enjoyed the show opening for GD.  That was the first time I saw them.  However I recall posts on this board a year or so ago claiming greatness for this band.  That was not my impression at all.  Good show, but I don't recall the last time SFA was in my turntable.  I'd go again if opening for a half decent band, but certainly wouldn't go out of my way.

Barcelona

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
So did anyone go? How was it?

skonster

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 10:46:00 am »
I thought it was pretty good.  It was sort of similar to their set with grandaddy, but they did some older songs and weren't on the tight script (I think part of that in the grandaddy show came from them opening and needing to get done by a certain time).  They did a bit more of their older stuff (even a song in welsh for good measure) as well.  They did have the same raveup type thing at the end of the show where they came out afterwards in the furry costumes.  Basically you could tell it was off the same tour as their shows with grandaddy but they were looser, especially after the first couple of songs, and relied a bit less on pyrotechnics this time.  

Also, I really like Papa M (has he lost all cred from zwan? he has a new album out in about a week and i haven't heard anything about him recently) and thought he was pretty good as well, but it wasn't a very good pairing.  The set started off great but he had a hard time keeping the crowd's attention once people were filing in for the super furries.

nicks bad seed

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  So did anyone go? How was it?
I enjoyed it and thought it was much better than the first time they headlined at 9:30 behing the Rings around the World album.

The set list was better arranged and covered more of their material, the band actually seemed to be "with it and aware" this time around, and the crowd was definitely into the show as well.

Having had doubts earlier, I must say my faith has been restored that they can still put on a good show.

Barcelona

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
Was it sold out? Very crowded?

skonster

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 12:15:00 pm »
I don't think it was sellout (a friend got door tickets at the door at around 10) but probably about 80-90% full, especially on the floor.  i never got a great look at up top, but people were lining the rails.

Mongo

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
Nowhere near being sold out.  The stage was pushed way out for this show.  It was pretty good.  I liked a few of the Papa M songs, but I felt most of them were not very inspiring, decent though.  As for Superfurry it was pretty much like the Grandaddy show with a few more songs.  I think they sounded great overall though.  What was the last song they played (you know, the one with the Russians)?

skonster

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 12:38:00 pm »
ahh...i didn't notice the stage thing.  i guess i'm not that perceptive.  the song is 'the man don't give a fuck' and it's on an ep of theirs.  i've never actually heard it on record, though.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 12:43:00 pm »
I'll have to say I really enjoyed this show! It still didn't approach the show at Ottobar a couple years back for the "Rings" tour but it was very solid thruout. The video and audio were perfectly synched and the song selection was pretty damn good. And we got to see the Super Furry Monsters come out at the end! Pretty damn fun!