Author Topic: Williamsburg / Norfolk recommendations?  (Read 3026 times)

Vas Deferens

Williamsburg / Norfolk recommendations?
« on: June 14, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
Going for the first time this weekend...any good places to see?

Ohhh! Pat Benatar will play the NorVa this weekend, hehe!
(_|_)

Venerable Bede

Re: Williamsburg / Norfolk recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »
there's this place called colonial williamsburg. . .i hear it's pretty good.  also, jamestown and yorktown are all close by as well.
OU812

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:29:00 pm »
The Naro in Norfolk if you want to see an indie film, and the neighborhood around it.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Ohhh! Pat Benatar will play the NorVa this weekend, hehe!
You could do a lot worse.  I saw her last night in Baltimore.  Not bad at all.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »
Norfolk is a great town. Park at MacArthur Center Mall if you're going to the NorVa (awesome club). What exactly are you looking to do so I can give a specific recommendation?

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »
Sure, if you're a nerdy elementary school student.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  there's this place called colonial williamsburg. . .i hear it's pretty good.  also, jamestown and yorktown are all close by as well.

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »
I spent a weekend in Busch Garden's with my family about 15 years ago.  As we watched the laser light show, we overheard a young boy ask his mom if they could travel to Colonial Williamsburg the next morning and watch them bake bricks, provided he was on his best behavior.

Even my mom made fun of him.

Originally posted by Chaz Nakatestes, Breaststroking Guy:
  Sure, if you're a nerdy elementary school student.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
[/b]

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »
As a working class upstate New Yorker who grew up on a dairy farm, the best family vacations our family could muster each year were to nearby Yogi Bear Campground for a weekend of camping. Thus, I never had the pleasure of visiting Colonial Williamsburg.

But it seem like every year, our elementary school principal, Mr. Garcia (the only Mexican in our whole town) made the trek to colonial Williamsburg, and put together a film strip of his exploits. Oh, the joy it must have been for Mr. Garcia.

Fico

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:42:00 pm »
Relative Theory Records in Norfolk...

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »
just go to Virginia Beach!

the cocoa butter capital of the USA!

alex

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »
There's a strip of pretty cool bars and restuaunts on Granby Street in Downtown Norfolk.  I always enjoyed Hell's Kitchen.  Relative Theory Records is also on Granby, it's a pretty cool little record shop...it's also kinda behind the Norva too.

Speaking of the Norva, it's a really nice venue, catch a show there if you can.  

There's Waterside, on Waterside Drive in Downtown Norfolk, which, after dark is basically a mall of resturaunts and bars like Jillians, Crocodile Rock, Dixie's Tavern, Bar Norfolk (kinda like the Inner Harbor of Baltimore and Power Plant thrown together, and not as big).

Colonial Williamsburg is always fun, even if you don't pay and just do the free stuff.  And there's lots of great golfing around that area.

And of course, there's VA Beach, which will be overrun with tourists and overpriced parking this time of year.

Avoid Hampton and Newport News and most of Norfolk outside of downtown.  Not much to see at all, I lived in Newport News for four years and worked in Hampton.  Both are nasty.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Alex:
 Avoid Hampton and Newport News and most of Norfolk outside of downtown.  Not much to see at all, I lived in Newport News for four years and worked in Hampton.  Both are nasty.
you could do the trolley tour of mike "ron mexico" vick's and allen iverson's childhood homes, i've heard it's fascinating
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 08:26:00 am »
In Williamsburg, there's this awesome restaurant called the Fat Canary.  It's pricey, but really really good. There's also a cheese shop/wine/fancy beer store attached to it...I was working at a moldy hotel in Williamsburg a few years ago and used to go there every day after work.

eltee

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 10:55:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  In Williamsburg, there's this awesome restaurant called the Fat Canary.  It's pricey, but really really good. There's also a cheese shop/wine/fancy beer store attached to it...I was working at a moldy hotel in Williamsburg a few years ago and used to go there every day after work.
Um, which moldy hotel? lol. I'm headed down there for a show at the Kimball Theater end of June.
 I liked King's Arms when I went down there. Pretty good. Just call beforehand to make sure they are open. (many things are closed and early; wake up the townies by looking for "late night".   ;)   )
 Oh, and some people freak about the outlets down in W'bg. Pottery or something?
 Musicwise, I would go to NorVa, or go to Portsmouth (pavillion). Food and cool shops I'd head on down to Va. Beach. I love some spots there.