Author Topic: No Baseball in DC?  (Read 31850 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: No Baseball in DC?
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »
Linda Cropp

Phone:   (202)724-8032
 Fax:   (202)724-8085
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  Linda Cropp

Phone:   (202)724-8032
 Fax:   (202)724-8085
yeah thats where I called, I am sure the phone is ringing off the hook

also try

lcropp@dccouncil.us

ratioci nation

« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 there was a post article today or yesterday that said all the pro-baseball calls she's gotten have been suburban and all the anti-baseball have been DC
its nice to see that all the people who make their money in dc but pay their taxes to maryland or virginia want to come give some back to dc, what a concept

mustourdman

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2004, 04:34:00 pm »
I'd be interested in hearing (honest) headcounts of the opinions of everyone's friends, neighbors, and co-workers. I've been keeping track, and know only 1 person who is an actual DC resident (out of maybe 20 I've spoken with) who's with the mayor on this.

With suburbanites I've spoken with, it's about 75/25 supporting the mayor.

Even though my informal poll shows 95% support for Cropp, I think if any actual numbers come out that show, say, less than a supermajority (60%) support her, she'll back down by the Tuesday vote.

It will be interesting to see if MLB offers even any token concessions in a last-minute deal, like giving the city a 10% cut of the naming rights to the staidum, or if the uproar coming from the local sports columnists and suburbanites emboldens them to make the city come crawling back to them.

sonickteam2

« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2004, 04:42:00 pm »
didnt MLB realize that, like everything else in Washington, this team thing was going to be a long, painful and ridiculous process?
   what country are they from?

when has anything in Washington been swift and easy?

Guiny

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2004, 04:45:00 pm »
From what I hear MLB doesnt care if there is a team or not In DC cause in 2006 two teams are going to be gone anyways and each of the remaining teams will profit from it. So MLB probably isnt gonna budge one bit.

keithstg

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2004, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by mustourdman:
  I'd be interested in hearing (honest) headcounts of the opinions of everyone's friends, neighbors, and co-workers. I've been keeping track, and know only 1 person who is an actual DC resident (out of maybe 20 I've spoken with) who's with the mayor on this.

In my office, myself (DC resident) and five coworkers who are DC residents are all adamantly with the mayor on this issue.

ratioci nation

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
it's a well known fact that suburbanites who come into cities for sports events arrive leave immediately afterwards, and spend little to no time spending money in the city.    So, another specious argument debunked.  Next.
_\|/_

sonickteam2

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  From what I hear MLB doesnt care if there is a team or not In DC cause in 2006 two teams are going to be gone anyways
the Yankees and the Mets?

Random Citizen

« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by HerrDoktorDoom:
  it's a well known fact that suburbanites who come into cities for sports events arrive leave immediately afterwards, and spend little to no time spending money in the city.    So, another specious argument debunked.  Next.
I guess that's why the restaurants near the MCI Center are never packed on game nights.    :roll:

Venerable Bede

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
regardless of that. . .who is spending money inside the stadium??  all of that is taxed, so d.c. is getting money on tickets, parking, food, souvenirs and such.

as someone said, the bars and restaurants near the mci center must be filled with d.c. people, it couldn't be filled with people who are there after work and waiting for the game.  no. .that would never happen.
OU812

J'Mal

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2004, 07:09:00 pm »
yeah, whenever i go to baltimore to see the O's, I drive all the way back home to Virginia before getting dinner, and I never take advantage of the fact I'm in Baltimore to do some hanging' around and spendin' money in the city that reads....

lionforce5

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2004, 08:44:00 pm »
So my question is, because DC is a larger area than just the district limits, why not subsidize a stadium/team with taxes from Montgomery, PG, Fairfax, etc.?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2004, 11:42:00 pm »
Ticket $20.  Food $10. Parking $10 all x 20,000 fans x 81 home games a year = $64,000,000.  Now let's be real real conservative and cut that number in half.  That's $32,000,000 spent in dc.  I'm not saying dc will get any richer off a  stadium or team, but your argument is for shit.  NEXT.