Author Topic: No Baseball in DC?  (Read 31851 times)

bbbsmith

Re: No Baseball in DC?
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  yeah just what the world needs more chain resturants and a starbucks    :roll:  
That is not the point...those chain restaurants generate INCOME for the District via sales, real estate and payroll taxes.  While chains suck they employ people and bring $$$ to the locality.

BookerT

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2004, 04:41:00 pm »
just curious ... is there anyone here who is a baseball fan but supports cropp? or anyone here who is not a baseball fan but supports the original proposal with public financing? i would think not too many.

there are plenty of "facts" to support both sides. but either you like baseball or you don't, and that's where your opinion will come from.

hitman

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2004, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  I never understood this really.

So a professional sports team, with a rich owner comes into town, everybody builds him a nice new stadium for his team to play in....then he charges them ridiculous prices to go to the stadium and any profit he makes off the team he gets to keep all by himself?

i mean, really....is that how it works?

no wonder ppl dont like it.....i still think DC will have its baseball before April.
Expos/Nationals don't have an owner right now.  That's part of the problem as well.

hitman

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2004, 04:47:00 pm »

Originally posted by pollard:

and the fact that National League teams suck and are only good for some good old fashioned World Series sweepin!
I wonder if Pedro will like the National League    :(   [/b]
He'll like his $50 Million though, i am sure of that.  He's been OK in the NL before.  

anyway, by next summer I will be saying "Pedro who?"

and yes, Renteria is EXACTLY what we need. [/b]
but I remember someone remarking how loyal and dedicated Pedro is...how much of a hard-worker he is, and such the role model...

Newsflash.....BULLSHIT!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2004, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by hitman:

Originally posted by pollard:
    I wonder if Pedro will like the National League     :D    

He'll like his $50 Million though, i am sure of that.  He's been OK in the NL before.  

anyway, by next summer I will be saying "Pedro who?"

[/b]
but I remember someone remarking how loyal and dedicated Pedro is...how much of a hard-worker he is, and such the role model...

Newsflash.....BULLSHIT! [/b]
hey, nelson de la rosa needs to eat too.
OU812

hitman

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2004, 04:51:00 pm »
http://www.nodctaxesforbaseball.org/  [/qb]
 [/QUOTE]I read the Washington Post every day, but I assume you know how to find that link?

You still have said nothing that challenges the fact that baseball players are a bunch of tobacco-chewing millionaire rednecks, the owners are a bunch of slimy no-class cologne-drenched fat cats with mobster ties, and people who think "intangible benefits" are worth squandering millions of taxpayer dollars are a bunch of glassy-eyed dreamers who've seen "Field of Dreams" a few too many times. [/QB][/QUOTE]

never seen a dominican referred to as a "tobacco-chewing millionaire redneck" and mobster ties?

"tobacco-chewing millionaire rednecks, the owners are a bunch of slimy no-class cologne-drenched fat cats"
 ...now this just sounds like the red sox!

sonickteam2

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2004, 04:56:00 pm »

Newsflash.....BULLSHIT!
I have a feeling you are speaking of me, though, i am SURE i never said Martinez was a role model.

hard-working, dedicated, yes.  sharing the same values that I do in staying with a team even if its for less money??? maybe not.

I have NO problem with Pedro.  And what i meant by the "Pedro who?" comment was that I am going to move on and focus on who IS on our team....obviously I will always remember one of the most prolific pitchers in Red Sox (and recent MLB) history.

:)

sonickteam2

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2004, 04:57:00 pm »
  Expos/Nationals don't have an owner right now.  That's part of the problem as well.
neither do the Green Bay Packers...   :D

hitman

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2004, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  Umm..... Marion Barry is your new councilman, if you live within view of the wasteland that could have been a stadium.
If that doesn't give a clue about the insanity and stupidity of DC...continuing to elect this thug!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »

Originally posted by J'Mal:
  Umm..... Marion Barry is your new councilman, if you live within view of the wasteland that could have been a stadium.
If that doesn't give a clue about the insanity and stupidity of DC...continuing to elect this thug! [/b]
I think it really just shows how disconnected most of us are from the dirt-poor communities in this city.  We don't see how they could elect Barry, they think nothing of it.  I don't think it's insanity or stupidity, it's just a complete cultural disconnect.

About baseball, check out this chat on the Post today if you're interested (and not registration paranoid)
(o|o)

redsock

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
My problem with this, as has been mentioned before, is that Cropp could have put this proposal on the table in the very beginning and given them a chance to work something out. Instead, she springs it all in the last minute with the intent of it all to fail. That is in no way shape or form "doing her job." That is ugly politics, plain and simple.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
just curious, how many of you are actually residents of DC and thus have more of a stake than simply a selfish desire to easily see baseball games?

As for Marion Barry becoming a councilman, he ran on an against-the-stadium ticket.  People do strange things when they feel their elected officials are not representing their interests.
_\|/_

J'Mal

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2004, 05:21:00 pm »
maybe they are "dirt poor" because they are "disconnected" from our "culture," and their "stupidity/insanity" is reflected in their vote for barry?

these neighborhoods sure do want alot of government handouts, they're very good at blaming nefarious forces of power, etc.  But they don't seem to value education, don't seem to be able to keep their families intact, avoid drugs, etc.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2004, 05:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by HerrDoktorDoom:
  just curious, how many of you are actually residents of DC and thus have more of a stake than simply a selfish desire to easily see baseball games?

As for Marion Barry becoming a councilman, he ran on an against-the-stadium ticket.  People do strange things when they feel their elected officials are not representing their interests.
i'm a d.c. resident.  even if there wasn't a stadium issue involved, barry would still get elected.  rightly or wrongly, anacostia loves barry and probably still believe that the bitch set him up.
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2004, 05:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by HerrDoktorDoom:

yeah thats why he won, nothing to do with name recognition at all

and I am a DC resident