Author Topic: 5/12 advice  (Read 8107 times)

pip

5/12 advice
« on: May 09, 2005, 02:42:00 pm »
Driving to Philly to see Echo & The Bunnymen isn't a realistic option for me, so I'm left with a choice of British Sea Power at the Black Cat or Kasabian at 9:30. I'm leaning towards BSP but I'm having a hard time deciding for sure. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: 5/12 advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by pip:
  Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
The British Navy is one of the finest and most attractive and butchest fighting forces in the world. I love those white flared trousers and the feel of rough blue serge on those pert little buttocks...

bobcat1

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
I say Kasabian...

brennser

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
I've only heard Club Foot from Kasabian

I think the new BSP album is a little dissapointing

beedubyah

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 02:52:00 pm »
Saw Kasabian @ 930 and it was one of the best sets Ive seen in a long while.  Ive got tickets and am taking all of my friends...will be a great show.

ggw

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
I also think the new BSP is lacking a certain punch and quirkiness that made the first one so endearing.  Nonetheless, they have put on fantastic shows the three times I've seen them.

I think I saw Kasabian on one of the late night shows last week.  They seem to do a half-decent Stone Roses rip-off.

dotdot

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by pip:
  Driving to Philly to see Echo & The Bunnymen isn't a realistic option for me, so I'm left with a choice of British Sea Power at the Black Cat or Kasabian at 9:30. I'm leaning towards BSP but I'm having a hard time deciding for sure. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
Go see BSP.  It'll be a much more legit representation of a pop group.  Then you should buy a couple of Stone Roses and Charlatans albums and throw the Kasabian away.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 03:10:00 pm »
I'd advise anyone NOT to go driving with these dumbasses.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »
i've seen british sea power twice at black cat (once opening for the libertines, i think, and once headlining) and they put on a fantastically out of control performance ... their eyes are all fully dilated (i'll let you determine why) and they're bouncing off the walls, hanging from the pipes, etc ... a guy in a WWI uniform playing drums walks through the crowd at one point, they have foliage all over the stage ... just an amazing energy that worked so well with the kind of out-of-control vibe on their first album ... i haven't heard the new one, but from what i've heard it doesn't seem like it fits in with their crazy live act

i saw kasabian open for the music a couple of months ago and really liked them ... very psychedelic show, lot of jamming, really good stage presence ... they came off as much more mature than i expected for a "buzz band" with one (fairly derivative) album ... that said, their light show nearly blinded me, i had to look away from the stage for large portions of their set

all that said, i think british sea power is the show to be at that night (and the one i'm going to), but that's not taking anything away from kasabian, either ... tough choice ...
(o|o)

beedubyah

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

all that said, i think british sea power is the show to be at that night (and the one i'm going to), but that's not taking anything away from kasabian, either ... tough choice ...
Ah Hoya....I respectfully disagree.  Not that I would ever put my knowledge of music in the same league as yours and I actually havent ever seen British Sea Power (though I really would like to)  The Kasabian show in February was one of those transcendent experiences that came when we didnt really expect it.  

I had heard good things and heard all of the Kasabian comparisons, but nothing really prepared us for that show.  We kinda just stood there with our jaw dropped for the entire set.  It really felt like we were in the presence of greatness.  I gotta believe that this might be the next great act out of England.  (as cliche as that is)

Might be just a difference in taste and hey, maybe BSP is where its at that night.  Ive seen Kasabian though and I can guarandangteeya it will be amazing.

As an aside...Im trying to get Natalie and Davis to host a little happy hour at their place before the shows....Shouldnt be that hard to do

SPARX

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 04:17:00 pm »
Apples and Oranges.You can't go wrong either way.It's a shame they're on the same night.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by beedubyah:
 As an aside...Im trying to get Natalie and Davis to host a little happy hour at their place before the shows....Shouldnt be that hard to do
i actually just looked at my calendar and realized i have to go home that weekend (flying out thurs night) for a wedding ... sucks ...
(o|o)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
If you go see BSP, take earplugs.  They were LOUD at last year's show.

The_Creeper

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 04:30:00 pm »
If you wanna do some dancing go with Kasabian.

If you wanna rock out, go with British Sea Power.

Kasabian has better opening bands, however...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
is this helps i'm djing Kasabian   :p
T.Rex