Author Topic: help me with my christmas shopping...  (Read 5694 times)

kurosawa-b/w

Re: help me with my christmas shopping...
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 05:50:00 pm »
Idlewild -I still love 100 Broken Windows the most. It's more edgy than The Remote Part.

Cinerama -I prefer Torino

Josh Rouse -Under Cold Blue Stars is a pleasant mellow album. I don't know his other stuff.

Radiohead -I've been listening to The Bends a lot lately. But OK Computer is also an excellent choice.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 06:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  idlewild

cinerama

josh rouse

radiohead (anything but httt)

waterboys  
Sorry...not a sausage.  BONUS POINTS: I have heard of Radiohead.  I've just never heard them.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2003, 06:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Idlewild -I still love 100 Broken Windows the most. It's more edgy than The Remote Part.

I agree, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Idlewild and Soundtrack of Our Lives may be my two favorite personal finds for this year.

walkman

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2003, 11:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:

Cinerama -I prefer Torino

Josh Rouse -Under Cold Blue Stars is a pleasant mellow album. I don't know his other stuff.

Radiohead -I've been listening to The Bends a lot lately. But OK Computer is also an excellent choice.
I second 100 Broken Windows and Torino.  As for Radiohead: Bends, OK Comp & Kid A are all essential.  But if you don't like HTTT, maybe you should skip Kid A.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 12:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  I agree, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Idlewild and Soundtrack of Our Lives may be my two favorite personal finds for this year.
Agreed on the two albums. I am so pleased that you found Idlewild! Since they are my favorite band, I, of course, feel that everyone should have all of their albums...  ;)

markie

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 12:20:00 am »
Screw it all and just get Torino by Cinerama.

actually, despite that being my favourtie of the whole lot. The Bends and Ok Computer are both great albums, and I am slowly coming round to the realisation that the remote part is better than 100 broken windows. That took a long time and a heavy heart to admit.

Bags

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 09:36:00 am »
Just in case anyone forgot that folks here on the forum take this sh*t very, very seriously.  (No slam, I'm a full on nut-job, especially to the 'regular people' out in the world blithely getting by with the Counting Crows greatest hits holiday release -- not that there's anything wrong with that!!).

Originally posted by mark e smith:
  I am slowly coming round to the realisation that the remote part is better than 100 broken windows. That took a long time and a heavy heart to admit.

mankie

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:

Yes, Steve Wickham has been with Mike Scott from day one.  
at the risk of

a) being excessively nitpicky, and

b) incurring the wrath of mankie

thats not true - wickham played on one song from this is the sea and then joined the band on a full time basis...see below

JUNE 1985     Recording for "This Is The Sea" continues in various London studios.

JULY 1985     Gifted Irish fiddler, STEVE WICKHAM plays on a demo for his friend Sinead O'Connor at Karl Wallinger's home studio. Mike Scott hears the tape and invites Steve to play on "The Pan Within" on the nearly completed new album. [/b]
No worries about incurring any wrath, I reserve that strictly for morons.

It was a bit nitpciky though...I was in a hurry to get out of here and just trying to make the point Wickham has been with Mike Scott for years.

brennser

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 10:53:00 am »

and like me, you're probably still in a good mood from Man U's highly efficient 2-0 win over Stuttgart yesterday!

bearman🐻

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
"Room to Roam" is a GREAT Waterboys CD. I highly recommend that one.

mankie

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 11:59:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:

and like me, you're probably still in a good mood from Man U's highly efficient 2-0 win over Stuttgart yesterday! [/b]
Yes indeed...and this is just about the time of year when United start to pick up their game so you'll see them start pulling away in the premiership now...better get back to music though before we get chastised for hijacking another thread and turning it into footie.  ;)  

Room to Roam is my personal fave, but would you recommend it to someone looking to get a good example of The Waterboys over the years? By that I simply mean it leans very heavy to the Waterboys in their folk mode so Lily wouldn't hear their more rock oriented work, That's why I suggested Live Adventures because it covers the gammit(sp?).

brennser

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
yeah because they've released just so much stuff over the years I think some type of compilation is best, that way if the person prefers the folky stuff they can go and buy fishermans blues and room to roam, ditto for the big music stuff

I will have to track down a copy of Room to Roam and give it a listen - I never bothered to buy it because it was absolutely panned by all the critics in ireland when it came out first

Celeste

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
 That's why I suggested Live Adventures because it covers the gammit(sp?).
Just think, if you used dictionary.com to look stuff up whenever you didn't know how to spell a word, you might learn more words properly, as well as other meanings of the words and their origins, "gamut" is particularly interesting:

gam·ut    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (gmt)
 n.
 A complete range or extent: a face that expressed a gamut of emotions, from rage to peaceful contentment.
 Music. The entire series of recognized notes.

[Middle English, the musical scale, from Medieval Latin gamma ut, low G  : gamma, lowest note of the medieval scale (from Greek, gamma. See gamma) + ut, first note of the lowest hexachord (after ut, first word in a Latin hymn to Saint John the Baptist, the initial syllables of successive lines of which were sung to the notes of an ascending scale CDEFGA: Ut queant laxis resonare fibris Mira gestorum famuli tuorum, Solve polluti labii reatum, Sancte Iohannes).]

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 12:27:00 pm »
Are you sure these are the bands that would make the recipients the most happy? Try to find out what gifts would make the recipient the most happy, not just give cd's of bands you like.

I already ended up with a fucking Eric Clapton/BB King collaboration as a gift, and it's not even Xmas yet.

Originally posted by lily1:
  peeps..i'm looking to buy 1-2 albums of each artist as gifts and would be keen to know which you think are the best albums. i'd like to avoid buying imports only because i'm really tight on cashola right now. i'd like to get these ordered asap.

idlewild

cinerama

josh rouse

radiohead (anything but httt)

waterboys (i think fisherman's blues is a given but wasn't sure what you thought. mankie, this should be right up your alley)

thanks everyone!

*wonders if this thread will turn from suggestions to debating, once again, if the bends or kid a is the best radiohead album*

mankie

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 12:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

Originally posted by mankie:
 That's why I suggested Live Adventures because it covers the gammit(sp?).
Just think, if you used dictionary.com to look stuff up whenever you didn't know how to spell a word, you might learn more words properly, as well as other meanings of the words and their origins, "gamut" is particularly interesting:

gam·ut    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (gmt)
 n.
 A complete range or extent: a face that expressed a gamut of emotions, from rage to peaceful contentment.
 Music. The entire series of recognized notes.

[Middle English, the musical scale, from Medieval Latin gamma ut, low G  : gamma, lowest note of the medieval scale (from Greek, gamma. See gamma) + ut, first note of the lowest hexachord (after ut, first word in a Latin hymn to Saint John the Baptist, the initial syllables of successive lines of which were sung to the notes of an ascending scale CDEFGA: Ut queant laxis resonare fibris Mira gestorum famuli tuorum, Solve polluti labii reatum, Sancte Iohannes).] [/b]
I know all the words I need to know to get through life, thank you. For example, "Kiss my arse smart arse"  :D  

Mind you, if you'd like to come over and be my English teacher...Ms. Celeste  ;)