Author Topic: help me with my christmas shopping...  (Read 5696 times)

lily1

help me with my christmas shopping...
« on: December 09, 2003, 10:03:00 am »
peeps..i'm looking to buy 1-2 albums of each artist as gifts and would be keen to know which you think are the best albums. i'd like to avoid buying imports only because i'm really tight on cashola right now. i'd like to get these ordered asap.

idlewild

cinerama

josh rouse

radiohead (anything but httt)

waterboys (i think fisherman's blues is a given but wasn't sure what you thought. mankie, this should be right up your alley)

thanks everyone!

*wonders if this thread will turn from suggestions to debating, once again, if the bends or kid a is the best radiohead album*

ratioci nation

Re: help me with my christmas shopping...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 10:11:00 am »
idlewild (don't care for them much but I guess 100 Broken Windows

cinerama (Disco Volante and Torino)

josh rouse (I pretty much only like Dressed Up Like Nebraska, have not kept up with him though)

radiohead (anything but httt) (Ok Computer and The Bends)

waterboys  (only heard one so no comment)

mankie

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 10:49:00 am »
I think my favorite Waterboys album is "Room to Roam", but that is also the most 'folksy' one, for want of a better word.

"Fishermans blues" and "This is the sea" are safe bets, but I would suggest "Live Adventures" which is recordings from shows in Ireland, Scotland, England and Holland. Not only is it a really good mix of the Waterboys over the years, there's also some interesting covers thrown in...Prince's Purple rain, Dylans Death is not the end and Springsteen/Patti Smiths Because the night.

ggw

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
Idlewild -- 100 Broken Windows or The Remote Part

Waterboys -- Fishermans Blues or get World Party -- Goodbye Jumbo

brennser

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 10:59:00 am »
idlewild - I prefer the remote part to 100 broken windows

cinerama - gosh, tough choice - I tend to like all their stuff - I think va va voom is the most accessible whereas torino is most like the weddoes

josh rouse - dunno

radiohead (anything but httt) - ok computer

waterboys (i think fisherman's blues is a given but wasn't sure what you thought. mankie, this should be right up your alley) - again lots of good choices, personally I would go for either the remastered version of The Pagan Place or This is the sea - also the best of is called the whole of the moon and contains a fairly representative sample of their work (although it inexplicably leaves off savage earth heart)

mankie

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK DOES THAT PILE OF SHIT WORLD PARTY HAVE TO DO WITH THE WATERBOYS, APART FROM THE FACT THAT ONE FORMER MEMBER WHO HAD LESS THAN NO TALENT, WALLENGER, THOUGHT HE COULD DO BETTER THAN THE WATERBOYS SO FORMED HIS OWN BAND....AND HOW SUCCESSFUL WERE THEY? HUH, HUH ,HUH???

Put that fucking message in your box and shove it up your arse.

Ignore him Lily, he's just an idiot who was trying to impress with his knowledge...when all he did was go to amazon.com and typed Waterboys then looked at the "people who bought this also bought...." section

lily1

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
mank, does live adventures have steve the fiddler or is it sans steve?

Originally posted by mankie:
  I think my favorite Waterboys album is "Room to Roam", but that is also the most 'folksy' one, for want of a better word.

"Fishermans blues" and "This is the sea" are safe bets, but I would suggest "Live Adventures" which is recordings from shows in Ireland, Scotland, England and Holland. Not only is it a really good mix of the Waterboys over the years, there's also some interesting covers thrown in...Prince's Purple rain, Dylans Death is not the end and Springsteen/Patti Smiths Because the night.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 02:38:00 pm »

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK DOES THAT PILE OF SHIT WORLD PARTY HAVE TO DO WITH THE WATERBOYS, APART FROM THE FACT THAT ONE FORMER MEMBER WHO HAD LESS THAN NO TALENT, WALLENGER, THOUGHT HE COULD DO BETTER THAN THE WATERBOYS SO FORMED HIS OWN BAND....AND HOW SUCCESSFUL WERE THEY? HUH, HUH ,HUH???

Put that fucking message in your box and shove it up your arse.

Ignore him Lily, he's just an idiot who was trying to impress with his knowledge...when all he did was go to amazon.com and typed Waterboys then looked at the "people who bought this also bought...." section [/b]
Like shooting fish in a barrel.......

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 02:41:00 pm »
Who don't you two just kiss and make up?  I'm mending fences by sending you a virtual French kiss.  Enjoy.

lily1

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
oh, and which delgados? hate is a given but what about domesticque and the others?

brennser

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
the great eastern

mankie

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
 [QB] mank, does live adventures have steve the fiddler or is it sans steve?

Yes, Steve Wickham has been with Mike Scott from day one.

mankie

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 03:47:00 pm »

[/b]
Like shooting fish in a barrel....... [/QB]
You and your redneck first amendment issues...

ggw

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2003, 03:53:00 pm »
 You and your redneck first amendment issues...
2nd Amendment:

the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

brennser

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
Yes, Steve Wickham has been with Mike Scott from day one.  
at the risk of

a) being excessively nitpicky, and

b) incurring the wrath of mankie

thats not true - wickham played on one song from this is the sea and then joined the band on a full time basis...see below

JUNE 1985     Recording for "This Is The Sea" continues in various London studios.

JULY 1985     Gifted Irish fiddler, STEVE WICKHAM plays on a demo for his friend Sinead O'Connor at Karl Wallinger's home studio. Mike Scott hears the tape and invites Steve to play on "The Pan Within" on the nearly completed new album.